CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Error installing 13.1 on Ubuntu 13.10

I'm trying to upgrade from 12.5.0 to 13.1 using the .deb package and I'm getting the following error:

Error: Breaks existing package 'ia32-crossover' that conflict: 'cxoffice5'. But the 'crossover_13.1.0-1.deb' provides it via: 'cxoffice5'

This error doesn't appear to match those in the FAQ or other threads here which seem to be centered on dependency issues. I'm wondering if I need to uninstall the 12.5.0 version first and then try installing 13.1. Of course, I'll make an archive of my bottles first.

Does this sound like the best solution?

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Reading some of the other threads, it sounds like the .deb package may not be usable on Ubuntu any longer and the .bin might be the best bet?

The answer to your question is dependant on which Ubuntu you have. This is probably the same issue that should disappear with the official release of Ubuntu 14.04.

You might want to read the faq page here and this as well.

If the faq pages do not solve the issue, please let us know. If the problem persist, please specify what version of Ubuntu you are running. Without knowing what exactly you are running, it is harder to determine the nature of the problem.

You don't necessarily need to backup your bottles. Uninstalling the old deb package does not affect them.

The solution is to uninstall the old version and then install the new one. After that, upgrading should work just fine.

The way packages are created changed with version 12.5.1.

depending on which Linux O/S that you are using, Cx 13.x may not install via the DEB file

• it breaks with some dependencies - hence the error received.

you may have to use another version of Cx & not the DEB version.

• this issue "should" be resolved with Ubuntu 14.04 😎

I'm having similar problems right now with Linux Mint, it requires a library that isn't available on 13, but it's a LTS release, so there's not much to do about that. Trying to get liib32nss-mdns to install has proven to be more or less impossible up until now.

If you can update you probably should, I'm stuck with 13 because my graphics drivers aren't supported by any newer version.

Nevermind, I see that that release is based on Ubuntu 12.04

I know a few people asked what version of Linux I'm running and I included it in the subject but it seems it's not that obvious.

To fix the issue, I archived the bottle, uninstalled the old Crossover and then did a fresh install of the 13.1 with the .deb file. No problems at all.

There's one caution I'd point out, though. In my Xfce menu, there's a CrossOver entry and then "Uninstall CrossOver Linux." This is broken. If you select it as I did and follow the dialogs, all it does it deletes all your bottles and doesn't actually uninstall CrossOver at all. Fortunately, I made an archive of my Neverwinter bottle before trying to uninstall so I didn't have to spend hours installing everything again.

Cheers

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnZRa0hwQWd6VWE2eUhLdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9