CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 13.2.0 here we go!

Sup guys,

I just got the E-Mail announcement - Crossover 13.2.0 is out!

The most important part for me is:

"[i]In the Linux version of CrossOver 13.2.0 we have changed our philosophy
about what to install automatically alongside CrossOver. In the past,
CrossOver sought to have the smallest possible footprint by depending
only on packages which were absolutely necessary for CrossOver to run.
Many times, this meant that our Linux users were forced to install
additional packages to get Windows applications running. With
CrossOver 13.2.0, we have made the CrossOver Linux packages depend on
many of the most common packages which Windows applications need.
Linux users can install CrossOver 13.2.0 and Windows applications more
easily than ever before.[/i]"

I'd like to take the time to thank everyone involved in the change of philosophy, which makes it a lot easier for ppl like me (the usual Joe/human being) to use Crossover. The newest release of Crossover is major step forward in terms of user friendliness, service and support. I appreciate that. Linux is a world for enthusiasts and power users, but it's also become a world for normal users seeking simplicity in motion - especially ppl coming from Ubuntu. After all, Crossover is supposed to be a polished, accessible and easy to use version of vanilla Wine.

So... to make things short: Thanks for listening to our plea and keep it coming! I'd really like to know what other ppl think of this change.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your effort, could you please advice how to install this new version for ubuntu 12.04 without effecting current installed windows application and
should is use the .deb or .bin file to install on with Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

Thanks alot.

Mohamed.

acrobat XI pro is still not installing, and it's not in the apps list...
why does the announcement say it works

Definitly deb format. The bin file won't install any dependencies for you, and things won't be as nicely integrated with your package manager. To update, just install the new deb and the old files should be replaced without anything else for you to do.

As an ArchLinux user, I like the bin file, but us Archers, we're weird like that!

J-P Simard wrote:

Definitly deb format. The bin file won't install any dependencies
for you, and things won't be as nicely integrated with your package
manager. To update, just install the new deb and the old files
should be replaced without anything else for you to do.

As an ArchLinux user, I like the bin file, but us Archers, we're
weird like that!

Thanks J-P Simard for your tips, however last time i face problem with installing MS 2010 and got this from ticket support:

(The .deb normally can pull in these dependencies when it installs, but Ubuntu 12.04 has a broken package manager that doesn't read the .deb correctly. So the .bin installs but you have to add dependencies manually later on)

this is why i need to know which one should i used, if it's not matter i prefer the .deb 😊.

thanks again.

J-P Simard wrote:

Definitly deb format. The bin file won't install any dependencies
for you, and things won't be as nicely integrated with your package
manager. To update, just install the new deb and the old files
should be replaced without anything else for you to do.

As an ArchLinux user, I like the bin file, but us Archers, we're
weird like that!

Hey, does that mean the .deb actually works with Ubuntu 12.04 again? I thought the .bin was the recommended method for 12.04 users? Has that changed with the release of Crossover 13.2.0? If so, that would be great! But the download section still recommends the .bin for 12.04 users.

PS: Well I wouldn't say Archers are "weird", but rather a bit..... "special" (in a very pro, enthusiastic and sexy way)? 😏

Damn, I forgot about 12.04...

So yeah, I guess then the bin file is still the way to go, unfortunatly. I doubt the new deb can compensate for 12.04 shortcomings for a multilib architecture.

J-P Simard wrote:

Damn, I forgot about 12.04...

So yeah, I guess then the bin file is still the way to go,
unfortunatly. I doubt the new deb can compensate for 12.04
shortcomings for a multilib architecture.

Too bad...even though I have already upgraded all of my Ubuntu machines to 14.04, I can still feel the ppl on 12.04. But hey, does the info on the 14.04 wiki apply to 12.04 as well? Can 12.04 users actually copy and paste the command found here as well? If it doesn't, it would be nice if someone could update the wiki and add the info for 12.04 users. It's still got a few years of life-support in it.

People on 12.04 should use the info on this page:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/Ubuntu/PrecisePangolin

Well, I installed the rpm version on Opensuse 13.1. For the previous version, I used the .bin installer because of dependency issues. The rpm install went fairly well. It did give me a dependency error telling me that liblber-2.4.so.2 was not available. Actually, it is available on my system and is part of the previously installed ldap-2_4-2 and ldap-2_4-2-32bit packages (I'm running a 64 bit system). I told yast to ignore the error and let the install go ahead. After the install, I added a symlink from /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2 to the /opt/cxoffice/lib/ directory. Everything seems to be working, but I have 2 questions.

1. Since the crossover rpm shows up as a i386 package and not an X86_64 package, I linked the 32 bit version of liblber-2.4.so.2 in usr/lib, rather than the 64 bit version in usr/lib64. Is this correct?

2. Before installing the rpm, I uninstalled the 13.1.x bin version so as not to have two installations. Of course I chose the option to keep the bottles. However, now, after installing the 13.2 rpm, neither Crossover nor any of my Windows programs shows up in my KDE 4.13.2 menus. They were there before, under my 13.1 bin installation. 13.2.0 sees all my bottles, and I can run Crossover from a command line and run my Windows programs from the Crossover menu without a problem. However, it would be nice to have everything in my KDE menu as I did before. Is there a way to make this magically happen, or do I have to go and make entries for everything by hand?

Thanks for the great update, by the way. First impressions are good.

bearymore wrote:

Well, I installed the rpm version on Opensuse 13.1. For the previous
version, I used the .bin installer because of dependency issues. The
rpm install went fairly well. It did give me a dependency error
telling me that liblber-2.4.so.2 was not available. Actually, it is
available on my system and is part of the previously installed
ldap-2_4-2 and ldap-2_4-2-32bit packages (I'm running a 64 bit
system). I told yast to ignore the error and let the install go
ahead. After the install, I added a symlink from
/usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2 to the /opt/cxoffice/lib/ directory.
Everything seems to be working, but I have 2 questions.

1. Since the crossover rpm shows up as a i386 package and not an
    X86_64 package, I linked the 32 bit version of liblber-2.4.so.2 in
    usr/lib, rather than the 64 bit version in usr/lib64. Is this
    correct?

2. Before installing the rpm, I uninstalled the 13.1.x bin version
    so as not to have two installations. Of course I chose the option to
    keep the bottles. However, now, after installing the 13.2 rpm,
    neither Crossover nor any of my Windows programs shows up in my KDE
    4.13.2 menus. They were there before, under my 13.1 bin
    installation. 13.2.0 sees all my bottles, and I can run Crossover
    from a command line and run my Windows programs from the Crossover
    menu without a problem. However, it would be nice to have everything
    in my KDE menu as I did before. Is there a way to make this
    magically happen, or do I have to go and make entries for everything
    by hand?

You want to link to the 32 bit libs and to my knowledge ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5.2.0 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 and ln -s /usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.8.0.0 /usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.6 should be the only simlinks needed in OpenSUSE 13.1

i've just installed crossover 13.2.0 on my asus k56cb laptop with ubuntu 14.04 and i can't register it. After writing email and password i recived an information that it couldn't download the proper license file. Could someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

You're probably not doing anything wrong.

This more of a permissions problem. I seem to remember something about it, but it is too vague, and a search in the forum was not much help. Unless someone else comes up with the answer quickly, I think you should open a support ticket.

Ok, so having thought about it, try:

sudo /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxregister

I can't foresee any risk in trying this, and since I think this is a permissions issue, it should fix your registration problem. This shouldn't happen, so filing a support ticket might still be a good idea.

mateusz lewkowicz wrote:

i've just installed crossover 13.2.0 on my asus k56cb laptop with
ubuntu 14.04 and i can't register it. After writing email and
password i recived an information that it couldn't download the
proper license file. Could someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

This issue has been forwarded to the [b]Official CodeWeavers Ticket
System[/b]. If you have observed this issue and would like to
report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to
info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a
link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Yes, a support ticket would be helpful for us if you are willing to file one. This is not something that should happen, and we generally want to track down these issues. I have forwarded your post to our ticket system.

Sean Chu wrote:

acrobat XI pro is still not installing, and it's not in the apps
list...
why does the announcement say it works

We did improvements around Acrobat XI Pro. It should install now and should be in the application list. If not, you can download the CrossTie here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/bin/c4p/11567

Not all of the fixes we made are in CrossOver 13.2. Some could not be applied but will be in with CrossOver 14.

bearymore wrote:

1. Since the crossover rpm shows up as a i386 package and not an
    X86_64 package, I linked the 32 bit version of liblber-2.4.so.2 in
    usr/lib, rather than the 64 bit version in usr/lib64. Is this
    correct?

2. Before installing the rpm, I uninstalled the 13.1.x bin version
    so as not to have two installations. Of course I chose the option to
    keep the bottles. However, now, after installing the 13.2 rpm,
    neither Crossover nor any of my Windows programs shows up in my KDE
    4.13.2 menus. They were there before, under my 13.1 bin
    installation. 13.2.0 sees all my bottles, and I can run Crossover
    from a command line and run my Windows programs from the Crossover
    menu without a problem. However, it would be nice to have everything
    in my KDE menu as I did before. Is there a way to make this
    magically happen, or do I have to go and make entries for everything
    by hand?

Yes, CrossOver needs the 32bit version.

Have you logged out and logged back into your system? Did the menu items return? If not, please file a Support Ticket!

I am trying to install crossover trial on 14.04 from the software center. I keep getting errror package dependences caanot be ressolved.

Details
The following package have unmet dependencies:

Crossover-trial: Depends: crossover-trial -bin(=12.5.0-0ubuntu) but it is a virtual package.

I have also tried installing from website and that one goes to the end and does not install.

Has anyone got it to work on 14.04?

If you installed the deb package that you downloaded from this site, then it's probably installed, it just does not show up in Unity yet. Log out and log in again (don't restart, no need for that), then search for CrossOver in the Unity dash (press the windows key, type in "crossover").

Thank you that worked. Do you know if Itunes will install on Ubuntu with crossover?

Hey look another Donny. :D

And unfortunately Itunes does not work very well in wine.

Thanks for the pointers regarding the sym links. For the first time since Crossover Pro 10, I have an up-to-date version of Crossover on my OpenSuse system. I had been using Crossover Pro 10 to avoid all the problems with menu items not showing up, etc. Thanks, Everybody.

1 to 22 of 22

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidGNkU0x6SzhIQ0tzN005MiIsImdkcHIiOjB9