CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CentOS 6.6 broken?

Hi,

My expierence in the past with Crossover was always that it managed to install a very solid IE 6, 7 or 8. Now I'm trying this for the first time after a while on CentOS 6.6, but it seems impossible to get a stable IE going with the latest version of Crossover.

One of our internal sites, which generates client certificates, still has a dependency on IE. When I try it with IE7, I get a fatal crash when I try to log on. When I try it with IE8, I immediately get a fatal crash on startup.

Before I start reporting all this, I'd like to check whether CentOS 6.6 is just known to be broken or whether these crashes are considered bugs in Crossover.

Thanks,
Julius

IE7 certainly seems to be getting less stable over time in Crossover. Our devs could investigate these issues and try to fix the crashes, but the difficult part is they mostly seem to involve website logins, certificates, or other security pieces. The devs need login credentials in order to reproduce these crashes and nobody is going to give us access to their website for the days, weeks, or months it could take to debug and fix this is IE under Crossover. So we're aware it's unstable but have no way to test and debug the problems.

Thanks for the quick reply! I just tried the same thing I tried before, but now on Ubuntu 14.04, and indeed it seems I'm getting the same crash.

You're correct that it indeed crashes when things are about to happen which are related to security features. Right now it already crashes before authenticating with any credentials. Steps to reproduce:

1. Install IE7 in a clean bottle
  2. Go to https://dp.abz.nl/
  3. Click "Mijn Digitaal Paspoort" (either should do)

This will cause IE7 to crash completely, possibly because it's already trying to look for a client certificate.

Would it be within the scope of current developments at CodeWeavers to look into this issue? If it would be possible to reach the next step in the process, which would depend on having an account, I could try to arrange credentials for a test environment for that. Otherwise I could also look into debugging it further myself. I did manage to submit patches to Wine in the past, but that was more due to the amazing helpfulness of the developers than my abilities.

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRnprYzZWTTljcVZmcmRmcyIsImdkcHIiOjB9