CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot Install CrossOver: libc dependency not satisfiabale

I am running Ubuntu-Mate on a Pine64 ARM64 board. The OS appears to be Ubuntu 16.04 based.
I downloaded the latest crossover for Ubuntu and used the gdebi package installer graphical interface.
The package fails to install and I get an error: "Dependency is not satisfiable: libc6 (>= 2.11)"
It would appear that my system has 2.21 or 2.23 (forget which) of libc6.
I've tried the terminal install, the various terminal lines about add-architecture i386, "-f", etc.; no joy.
Searching the forums, I see an occasional mention of libc6, but not a newer version number.
Thanks, in advance, for any help.

I do not think this would work regardless as CrossOver needs a X86 or AMD64 (x64) bit processor/os to function. The PINE64 is ARM64 as stated in the Requirements - https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/requirements

It may be possible to compile WINE for the PINE64 but I cannot imagine it performing well.

There is no way to run Crossover on ARM chips, and I believe the same goes for Wine.

Instruction sets for X86 processors (32 or 64 bits) are not at all similar to Arm processors. There is no way to translate Windows instructions that expect an x86 processor to instructions on Arm. In other words, even if Wine/Crossover could be installed, there is simply no way to run compiled Windows X86/amd64 code on an Arm chip.

Unfortunately, you are wasting your time.

J-P Simard wrote:

There is no way to run Crossover on ARM chips, and I believe the
same goes for Wine.

Instruction sets for X86 processors (32 or 64 bits) are not at all
similar to Arm processors. There is no way to translate Windows
instructions that expect an x86 processor to instructions on Arm. In
other words, even if Wine/Crossover could be installed, there is
simply no way to run compiled Windows X86/amd64 code on an Arm chip.

Unfortunately, you are wasting your time.

The Wine for ARM can indeed run a few x86 Windows Applications - https://wiki.winehq.org/ARM64 - I am not saying it is a good idea to do so, just that it is possible.

Actually, I'm not going to argue this for very long, but I think you're reading this wrong.

You'll run Windows Arm software, which exists in particular since Win10, or old WindowCE stuff, but you won't run X86 software. For that to happen, you would need to emulate an X86 processor and Wine has nothing of the kind. In particular the page referred mentions "Running Windows arm64 Applications", but nothing about running X86.

I'll gladly admit I haven't looked into this very far, having little interest toward Arm at this time, but I maintain my position.

Aside from this small point of contention, there is simply no way to run Crossover on Arm.

Thanks to all the responses; somehow I missed the requirements bit about the ARM64 processor.

Interestingly, however, I ran into a similar problem trying to install CrossOver on a converted Windoz PC; a different libc issue, but still not "satisfiable".

I had been able to get Wine installed on the old PC that was running Ubuntu 16.0.4, but some applications, such as WinRAR, would not install/run; I figured the commercial product would have cleaned up some of the odd issues.

I will abandon the effort. I do have a Mac Air that was running Parallels and a Windows OS, so I may try CrossOver for Mac and see how it goes.

The motivation for all this effort is my hobby (radio control models) that has electronic components that are almost exclusively limited to a Windows platform for updates, configurations, etc. My old HP Stream 7" works, but my old eyes are finding a larger screen is better and the Pine64-based laptop seemed ideal.

Thanks, again; very much appreciate the advice/responses.

Michael

I THINK that a solution would be installing an ARM Linux on the ARM machine, installing QEMU on it and install a x86 Linux inside QEMU. Then install Crossover Linux (for x86) on it and install your Windows app inside Crossover... Not an easy task!

I can't guarantee that it will work, but it should, if your application is not very demanding on processing, like a game or 3D application.

But before trying that, I suggest that you test if your Windows program runs on Crossover Linux on a x86 machine...

Good luck!

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

I THINK that a solution would be installing an ARM Linux on the ARM
machine, installing QEMU on it and install a x86 Linux inside QEMU.
Then install Crossover Linux (for x86) on it and install your
Windows app inside Crossover... Not an easy task!

I can't guarantee that it will work, but it should, if your
application is not very demanding on processing, like a game or 3D
application.

But before trying that, I suggest that you test if your Windows
program runs on Crossover Linux on a x86 machine...

Good luck!

That should work but the overhead would be insane

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUHZYc0djMm1WZmtFZFZRdSIsImdkcHIiOjB9