CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

bumblebee and crossover?

Hi - I've got a laptop with a Geforce GT555 in it, running bumblebee 3.0 to run the optimus system under ubuntu 11.04. Could anyone tell me how to get crossover to run a programme with the "optirun" command? And please bear in mind that I'm an absolute linux noob. I can type stuff into the terminal, but I have very little understanding of syntax, or what I'm doing in any way :D
Be great if anyone can help!
Hal

exactly the same problem with exactly the same preconditions and hardware (gf 555, bumblebee 3.0, Crossover 11)

Anyone?

Could you try using the 'run windows command' feature - select the .exe you want to run, and then add 'optirun' before it?

(I don't have this myself, only one gtx560 card)

i'm trying to this by myself but it didn't work. There must be a way to use the optirun with it.

pragma;

optirun [options] <application> [application-parameters]

ie; (with cx11 installed in $HOME)

optirun ~/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle some-bottle-name --cx-app some-app-name.exe

...blabla. That's how you should come at it ; does this
not work?..

I created a support ticket on this topic and Andrew Balfour told me that Nvidia Optimus and Bumblebee Project are unsupported in CrossOver for Linux. This means that I can not play PC games using CrossOver for Linux. You might want to check with Mr. Balfour to confirm.

Welly Wu wrote:

I created a support ticket on this topic and Andrew Balfour told me
that Nvidia Optimus and Bumblebee Project are unsupported in
CrossOver for Linux. This means that I can not play PC games using
CrossOver for Linux. You might want to check with Mr. Balfour to
confirm.

...it does work...

Thanks :) But what do you do if it's a steam game? I can launch steam with optirun, but then the game in question (in this case team fortress2) doesn't seem to run on the 3d card. At least it looks like it's running on the built in card. Either that or I've got some other entirely separate graphics problem.

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

pragma;

optirun [options] <application> [application-parameters]

ie; (with cx11 installed in $HOME)

optirun ~/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle some-bottle-name --cx-app
some-app-name.exe

...blabla. That's how you should come at it ; does this
not work?..

Halpm wrote:

Thanks :) But what do you do if it's a steam game? I can launch
steam with optirun, but then the game in question (in this case team
fortress2) doesn't seem to run on the 3d card. At least it looks
like it's running on the built in card. Either that or I've got some
other entirely separate graphics problem.

....eeew... you had to ask =) Understand, I don't have
one of these twin-GPU lappies - the manager of a computer
supplies store let me fool with one for an hour to have
a look at how this nvidia optimus shizzle pans out...

... so, here's how my brain fathoms things...taking the
command I cited and filling out some grey-space, you would
end up with something like...;

optirun ~/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle Steam --cx-app Steam.exe

..and in theory at least, the Steam client and UI friends
should be running on the GPU that you want it running on.
Beyond that point, probably something really bad happens
if you try and launch TF2 from the Steam interface, because
(at a guess) that process thread will run detached (spawn
of) the main process (wine running Steam.exe), and the TF2
engine (hl2.exe) gets launched without/does not inherit the
optirun magics...at a guess anyhow ; TF2 behaves like this
-anyhow- when you're trying to debug the thing...

..I'll also further imagine due to the fact the Steam client
hooks into the game directly (steam community), 'particularly
weird and exotic things' are going to happen if you end up with
Steam on one GPU core and any game being run ending up on the
other core =) In a perfect world, it'd make sense to have the
client on the low-power core, and only grab the hi-power GPU
for games, but I'm probably having a green dream here...

... so, imaging it does matter, and given that you've launched
Steam already as per the command line above, open another xterm
and then launch TF2 manually, using the optirun command ...ie;

cd ~/.cxoffice/Steam &&
optirun ~/cxoffice/bin/wine "C:\\program files\\steam\\steamapps\\<your-steam-username>\\team fortress 2\\hl2.exe" -steam -game tf -whatever -other -options

...or such'n'similar. That way, you're sure the 2nd wine thread
(running hl2.exe) is also invoked with optirun magics. In theory
anyhow. I'm unsure what's going to happen wrt the PID/VID detection
of the 2 GPU cores, but you can actually define that in registry
..(or try those direct3d keys if something whacky pans out)...

..just curious.. have you confirmed things are working properly
with a non-steam game yet?...

I'm having the same problem, so I'll join the discussion. What "." wrote seems to be on the right track. I tried the said command, but I did modify it a bit first to fit my install, and I'll post here it here just in case it might help anybody:

cd ~/.cxoffice/Team\ Fortress\ 2 && optirun /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle Team\ Fortress\ 2 "C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\<STEAM USERNAME>\\Team Fortress 2\\hl2.exe" -steam -game tf

Now this opened Team Fortress 2, but it didn't seem to connect to my Steam account properly. I wasn't able to see the server list or access any kind of game. This was the error I got in the terminal:

opensslwrapper.cpp (166) : Assertion Failed: OpenSSL random number system reports not enough entropy
Assert( Assertion Failed: OpenSSL random number system reports not enough entropy ):opensslwrapper.cpp:166

Failed to load Steam Service
ServiceStart: failed to start
Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient
Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit

I closed Team Fortress 2, but to my luck, it asked me if I wanted to see some recordings I've made. Now, for those not familiar with the game, these recordings are not movies, but rather a set of instructions, so what you'll see, is the game rendered as it would be when played normally. At least that's what seems obvious to me. Therefore this was a liable way to test the graphics.

Now, bummer.

It was lagging a lot more than when playing on my Intel graphics card. This may be a driver problem though, but I'm a bit puzzled as non-Steam games always run a lot faster using optirun. The graphics also looked weird: http://dropcanvas.com/yct7r/1

Thanks for this thread, it seems like we're getting there. Any further support is much appreciated.

Has any one successfully run a game in CX with optirun?

I've tried running Guild Wars, installed via CX however when I type

optirun /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "Guild Wars" --cx-app Gw.exe

Then it crashes and restarts my X session.

So I tried installing Steam and with optirun it runs ok however soon as I load a game through CX it again crashes and restarts my X Session.

am I missing something simple? As optirun works great with any games I've installed/run using Wine 1.4

Hello all!

Optimus and crossover works. You need to add "primus" (https://github.com/amonakov/primus) to your bumblebee install, an alternative backend for bumblebee's virtualGL. In 64 bit systems also install primus-lib:i386 .
Tested on Ubuntu 12.10; to start an app, as an example FarCry2:

primusrun /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle farcry2 --cx-app farcry2.exe

Works.

I tried executing medieval2 with primusrun following the last post command but not work, on start give error similar to this:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12538
Launching it from crossover work but with intel vga have graphic issue also with latest driver for now.
Someone can help me please?

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZVNWU3FYNzZWcVZBRm45aCIsImdkcHIiOjB9