CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Missing icons for MS office in ubuntu 12.04

Hi All,

So I installed MS office 2007 using crossover linux in ubuntu 12.04 and it install fine except when I look for excel in the unity launcher the icon is the generic crossover linux icon not the excel icon. Also the file program associations are still for libre office.

Any body know how I can change the icons to the MS office icons and change the file associations to MS office?

So I have fixed the associations by opening 'Manage Bottles', going to 'Control Panel' -> 'Edit Associations' and select the extensions (eg .xlsx) and changing the state to 'Use when double clicking'

I also fixed icons in the unity menu by opening the commandline and:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxmenu --bottle "Microsoft Office 2007" --removeall --install

so it would appear it's all working but unfortunately when I open excel the unit launcher shows a '?' icon and when I hover the mouse over the icon in the launcher it is described as 'Untitled Window'

any ideas on how to fix this last issue?

I also have this problem. I'm afraid I've not yet found an answer.

Here's a little more information, in case someone at Codeweavers finds it useful;

Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, InfoPath and Picture Manager show icons with window titles in the Unity launcher. OneNote doesn't have an icon, but does have a window title.

Perhaps this thread ought to be in the "Microsoft Excel 2007" Forum though http://www.codeweavers.jp/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2854;forum=1

Angus Keenan wrote:

Hi All,

So I installed MS office 2007 using crossover linux in ubuntu 12.04
and it install fine except when I look for excel in the unity
launcher the icon is the generic crossover linux icon not the excel
icon. Also the file program associations are still for libre office.

Any body know how I can change the icons to the MS office icons and
change the file associations to MS office?

There is a way to do this within Ubuntu (any version really, but even true within 12.04 today). Requires a bit of minor effort, but if you require that icon, it is worth the effort if that is required.

1) Install the package: gnome-tewak-tool
2) When it is installed, select the option: Desktop, Have the File Manager handle the desktop and turn it "ON"
3) Select the properties for the Icon for the recently installed program (excel, Word, etc.) from the bottle as desired
4) If using Unity and you want this on the Unity launcher, drag to the Unity launcher
5) If you want a clean desktop again, turn the gnome-tweak-tool option back to "OFF"
6) Viola! Your icon is in place and your program is in the launcher

This has repeatedly worked for me on my laptop and PC across versions of Ubuntu.

Hope that helps. Have a nice day.

Chuck

Long story short - we are (of course) aware of this issue, and we're working on it. (Great workaround, Chuck!)

Here's the relevant bug in Ubuntu's Launchpad system for those who are curious:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/702452

Same problem on all my installations (Gnome2, Gnome3, none of those is Ubuntu)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicmNoWXh3OHhGWDRMNlBlYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9