CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot uninstall Crossover trial on Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit edition.

I tried out Crossover and decided to uninstall it. There are applications I need to work that won't work with it, and I decided that it was probably best to keep a Windows box around for those.

All seemed to go fine. This was several weeks ago.

Just today I find I cannot run Wine applications. None will start. Last night they ran fine.

Synaptic package manager at a glance shows Wine uninstalled, but if you right click, it says mark for removal. Okay, it seems package management is somewhat broken. (I did do a "fix broken") and did several apt-get commandline cleanups.

I discovered that there is still ia32-crossover on the system. I cannot remove it.

I check it to have it removed and click apply, and this error pops up.
E: ia32-crossover: subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
I subsequently uncheck ia32-crossover and it goes green and everything "looks" okay. I cannot remove it however.

I did go back and mark all of Wine that was not showing as installed (but should be) and completely uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. Wine now works, and I am relieved at that.

I want to remove ia32-crossover. It does not belong on this system.

I also see that I cannot enter a support ticket for this rather unique problem.

well it looks like you are using a deb based system based off the package name, so to verify that you have the package still installed:

apt-cache search crossover

And to remove it (presuming that it shows up)

sudo apt-get remove ia32-crossover

HTH.

I started a root terminal session for this. I also did the sudo apt-* in a standard terminal with the same results.

apt-cache search crossover

mda-lv2 - Paul Kellett's MDA plugins ported to LV2
phasex - Phase Harmonic Advanced Synthesis EXperiment
swh-lv2 - Steve Harris's SWH plugins ported to LV2
ia32-crossover - Run Windows applications like MS Office

apt-get remove ia32-crossover

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
ia32-crossover
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 144 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 359766 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ia32-crossover ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ia32-crossover.prerm: 47: /var/lib/dpkg/info/ia32-crossover.prerm: /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxtie: not found
dpkg: error processing ia32-crossover (--remove):
subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Errors were encountered while processing:
ia32-crossover
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I decided to try something that will sometimes work with a failed Windows install/uninstall, I reinstalled the package after downloading it again.

Here is the result of the fresh install:
Selecting previously unselected package ia32-crossover.
(Reading database ... 359768 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ia32-crossover 11.2.0-1 (using .../ia32-crossover_11.2.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ia32-crossover ...
Setting up ia32-crossover (11.2.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 1 changed doc-base file...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...
Processing triggers for menu ...

And now for the uninstall by using the same package installer:
Selecting previously unselected package ia32-crossover.
(Reading database ... 359768 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ia32-crossover 11.2.0-1 (using .../ia32-crossover_11.2.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ia32-crossover ...
Setting up ia32-crossover (11.2.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 1 changed doc-base file...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...
Processing triggers for menu ...

Okay, that worked. Whew. I have no idea what failed in the earlier removal process.

[Edit]I didn't notice that the uninstall looked exactly like the install for the script output
I clicked on the package provided through the download, which brings up "Package Installer".
I used Synaptic Package Manager to do the initial uninstall. Maybe that is what went wrong.
Anyway, a reinstall and subsequent removal by using Package Manager fixed it.[/Edit]

I realize I'm late to the party, here, but generally speaking, Crossover's built-in uninstall function is the best method for removing the software, as your mileage with the various package managers may vary. For ia32-crossover, that would be:

$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall

to remove your user-specific Crossover files (i.e. ~/.cxoffice)

and then

$ sudo /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall

which will remove Crossover's actual program files.

In Mint you have to run 'synaptic" as root ( administrator),

so you should be able to highlight the offending s/w & mark for 'complete removal' & apply
( complete removal, rather than just remove)

this has always worked for me . . .

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY2s5V3RaTlR0U2ZKc0VGYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9