CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

VERY slow performance in Skyrim and Assassin's Creed 2

I have skyrim installed with crossover on my ubuntu 12.10 64 bit machine and it is unplayable on low settings. I have an i3-2100 and a Radeon HD 6870 with 8GB of ram. In windows 7 I can max out skyrim (ultra) with 45FPS on average. Why can't I play atleast on low settings on linux? It is very jittery and just laggy in general.

I would understand that it is just skyrim's problem in wine, but I asked around in the IRC and somebody told me he has a Radeon HD 4850 and he can run it on medium settings without lag. He said he made no modifications whatsoever. People on the appdb.winehq.org's skyrim page seem to have lower-end hardware (like the gefore 210) and can run on medium also.

The only modification I tried was setting VideoMemorySize to 1000 in regedit. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or what I should do to improve it?

I run Skyrim with twin Nvidia 570GT (in SLI) and the performance is basically the same as in Windows. Thing is, I run Arch, so I have the latest driver all the time.

I've been repeting myself lately, but the latest video card driver is an absolute necessity for gaming on windows, and I don't see why it should be different in Linux. In Linux, might I suggest that proprietary drivers are a must under most usage for gaming. I'm all for free software, but free drivers tends not to equate the proprietary.

Ubuntu has a habit of using the free driver first, which in my case would be nouveau, and that turbo sucks dirt wiht my cards. Ubuntu also tends to "freeze" the drivers available, which means that when it comes out, you don't have the latest. There advantages to the way of doing things (hence valve I guess), but it mildly sucks for gamers. (my small rant finished here, don't take it personal)

In other words, I suggest you make sure you have the latest and greatest proprietary driver, and I found some info here. I can't be sure that will solve things for you, but having the latest driver for gaming is a good idea on just about every system out there.

Good luck to you.

Under Ubuntu you should be able to use sgfxi to get the latest proprietary driver. It's available at: smxi.org

Thank you for responding. I do have the latest amd catalyst drivers.

From what I've read on Phoronix, Unity might be eating at least a few frames. Maybe there's something to investigate on that point. I just can't believe Unity is that bad for gaming. Have you got anything about your desktop config that might be using up power from your card? Do you run other games well?

Other than that, I have done nothing special to run Skyrim, so I'm not really sure what to look for next. At this point, maybe that opening a support ticket is the way to go. The codeweaver staff might have a better idea as to what is the bottleneck with your games, and what to do about it.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSnZMbTZydlEzY2hkdEZ1ayIsImdkcHIiOjB9