CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Arch Linux library compatility

I'm a paying customer, trying to get Crossover running in Arch Linux x64_86. I have enabled the multilib repo.

While I don't agree with it, I do understand the reasoning for not providing official support for Arch.

I'm having issues with library compatibility, namely the lack of some libraries in the official repository or AUR, or the libraries are named differently than Crossover expects.

How have others worked through these types of issues? I'd really prefer to not have to build each of the Suggested/Recommended libraries separately.

EXAMPLE (there are ~12 others):

[MissingLibXslt]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxslt.so.1 library"
"Description"="This library lets Windows applications perform queries and transformations on XML files."

Here's the 64 bit:
➜ ~ locate libxslt.so
/usr/lib/libxslt.so
/usr/lib/libxslt.so.1
/usr/lib/libxslt.so.1.1.26

There is no 32 bit:
➜ ~ pacman -Ss libxslt
extra/libxslt 1.1.26-3 [installed]
XML stylesheet transformation library
extra/python-lxml 3.0.1-1
Python3 binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
extra/python-lxml-docs 3.0.1-1
Python binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries (docs)
extra/python2-lxml 3.0.1-1 [installed]
Python2 binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
community/perl-xml-libxslt 1.77-1
Interface to the gnome libxslt library

There are some Arch guys here, at least 3, counting yourself, one other guy, and me. Maybe we should ask for an Arch sound off in the forum?

Anyway, look harder in the AUR buddy, lib32-libxslt is here!😀 Don't worry, I have been cross-eyed while searching for packages too.

Also, I have been using Crossover for a whole bunch of years, and Arch for at least 3 years now, so I should be able to help where Crossover is concerned.

Need any help getting lib32-libxslt installed from the AUR?

Have you tried installing the AUR package of Crossover? https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/crossover/

It's derived from the .deb version rather than the generic binary and works out-of-the-box for me on 64-bit. :)

Yes but that's only if you want an install that is "system wide" for as far as I know.

If you want to install in single user mode, that AUR package isn't a choice.

@Rocky: I did install Crossover from AUR. And there were no errors during installation. However, when I go to install Office 2010, I'm getting warnings about missing libraries, which is what prompted me to run cxdiag.

@Jean-Patrick: Thanks for the pointer to the xslt library in the AUR. The "Recommend" is now gone from the cxdiag output.

As another example, I've got lib32-gnutls 3.1.3-2 installed, but it's still showing as missing the 32 bit gnutls lib.

Here's the list of files cxdiag is currently not finding:

libcapi20.so.3
libgnutls.so.26
libgphoto2.so.2
libgsm.so.1
libhal.so.1
libjpeg.so.62
libmpg123.so.0
libopenal.so.1
libsane.so.1
libtiff.so.4

And here's the full cxdiag output:

[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibGnutls]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgnutls.so.26 library"
"Description"="This is needed by applications that perform encryption or check online certificates."

[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibJpeg]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libjpeg.so.62 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that use JPEG images in their user interface. The lack of this library may result in black icons."

[MissingLibMpg123]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libmpg123.so.0 library"
"Description"="Needed by some Windows applications to play MP3 files."

[MissingLibOpenal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libopenal.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides audio support to Windows applications."

[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="Intel Open Source Technology Center"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="3.0 Mesa 9.0"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2"

Yeah, well you don't have to install what you don't actually need. A big bunch of those you don't really need unless a software specifically requires it. For Office, lib32-libxslt was very enough, without all those extra librairies. All librairies are of the 32bit kind...

LibCapi20: is useless without an ISDN card. Do you even have that?

lib32-gnutls: Multilib

lib32-libgphoto: Why would you really want to manage your camera in windows app? You'll find it in the AUR

Libhal: I have never needed it for Win software to see my drives.

lib32-gsm: Tada! in the AUR, not that you need it.

lib32-libjpeg6: Here, in the AUR

lib32-mpg123: In multilib...

lib32-sane: In the AUR..., but then scan with linux app then just insert the file.

lib32-libtiff: multilib

I might have missed one or two, but you get the drift. Shall I take it that you're not very used to searching for packages? Yes the names might vary a little from what Crossver mentions, but that should be no barrier for an Arch user.

No offense meant, but if you use Arch, you have to get better at looking for/at/in stuff. I'm not saying I won't help, but you have to admit the stuff you wanted so badly, was right under your nose. If you have trouble with anything, I'll be watching this thread.

First of all, thank you so much for such a complete answer.

J-P Simard wrote:

I might have missed one or two, but you get the drift. Shall I take
it that you're not very used to searching for packages? Yes the
names might vary a little from what Crossver mentions, but that
should be no barrier for an Arch user.

No offense meant, but if you use Arch, you have to get better at
looking for/at/in stuff. I'm not saying I won't help, but you have
to admit the stuff you wanted so badly, was right under your nose.
If you have trouble with anything, I'll be watching this thread.

None taken. I think perhaps I'm not being clear. I have no problem searching for packages - and am very comfortable with "The Arch Way" of doing things.

My first example probably set a bad tone - as in, it was one I had not found, and was easily located in AUR.

My real problem is that I'm getting the warnings (re jpeg and gnutls specifically), even though I've got those packages (from multilib) installed, and cxdiag is still barking about the missing libraries.

CX Requires        | Installed Pacage    | Package Version | Install path
-------------------|---------------------|-----------------|---------------------------
libgnutls.so.26    | lib32-libjpeg-turbo | 1.2.1-1         | /usr/lib32/libgnutls.so.28
libjpeg.so.62      | lib32-gnutls        | 3.1.3-2         | /usr/lib32/libjpeg.so.8

I included the full cxdiag output more in the interest of completeness than as a statement that I consider each "Suggest" or "Recommend" as a requirement. No, I don't use ISDN (anymore). 😅

Ok, I did misread your intentions too, so a little communications breakdown, my apologies. You did look kinda' noob there! 😉

First off, please note that libjpeg-turbo (any version) is not libjpeg6 and will not suffice, even in the 32 bit form. You must absolutly install lib32-libjpeg6 from the AUR! I got bit with that silly detail too. I had to work it out myself as no one bothered to answer me on the Arch forum. At the time, I tried a symlink, and it failed to solve the problem, but maybe that would be different today. Anyway, since I had lib32-libjpeg6 installed from the AUR (installed for Starcraft2), I haven't had any problems with it.

As for libgnutls, I had it installed and cxdiag did still mention it when I tried it just now. So I made a symlink inside /usr/lib32

# ln -s libgnutls.so.28 libgnutls.so.26

And that seems to have made cxdiag happy. Not that I have notice any problem up to now, but then, I don't think I have any "applications that perform encryption or check online certificates".

Any other ghosts in the machine?

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNEFyMlRIOUJIYkFZNXRYVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9