CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Wine window control, Gnome3 and Office

From my experience, Gnome3+Crossover+Office is quite unpredictable combination. First, Wine windows do not behave fully like generic X11 windows even if wm is allowed to both control and decorate. Second, Office windows do not behave like other Wine windows too!
This means raise/lower and focus behavior is sometimes.. hmm.. weird. You can see child dialogs mysteriously disappearing because parent windows cover and hide it for no good reason and things like that (and as Windows apps often use modal dialogs in child windows the overall impression is very confusing). Could anyone explain what happens? I never see any problems like that on my Gnome2 install.

What is the specific of Wine windows from X11 point of view?
What is the specific of Office windows from wine point of view?
Why doesn't it behave well with Gnome3?
Can it be fixed in foreseeable future?

I couldn't go into specifics, as I don't know them, but I'll bet that mutter (the compositing par of gnome) is fooling around with the behavior of windows. Since you probably don't have any compositing on your gnome2 install, things run as expected.

Since the behavior of compsiting on Linux is very different from the windows desktop, I would think there will always be some various degrees of strange behavior from windows apps. Wine must give windows software ways to behave like on Windows, and that means softwares have no idea what to do with Linux compositing. I would think that Crossover could probably stabilize things to some degree overtime, but I doubt it will ever be perfect.

Now, if you could explain to me how compositing is helping anyone? I have yet to see any serious benefit outside of "looking real cool" with lots of "bling". As you might have guessed, I use XFCE with no compositing whatsoever.

I run Compiz on Gnome2 as well and it behaves good -- unlike Gnome3. I use transparency sometimes to improve screen space utilization and cube workspace switcher is not just fancy, it is more handy.

Hum, I guess compiz and mutter do things differently, hence the different behavior. One possible explanation is that Ubuntu still uses Compiz for their Unity desktop, which Codeweavers must be very interesting in supporting. Therefore, window management might just be better with Compiz than Mutter. At least, that's my theory. It would be interesting if the devs would pitch in here, because I'm curious to know the actual answer to this.

As for Compiz itself, I have used the cube switcher too and I still don't get it, but then I use the keyboard to switch. My work habits just don't benefit from such things. I'm just as fast or faster without composition on my desktop.

It seems that Unity is kind of non-standard thing not found outside of the Ubuntu, but for whatever reason it is supported better.. Being offtopic, does Unity desktop share really exceed Gnome3?

I don't think you should view as Unity vs. Gnome, but more Ubuntu vs Distro X.

There very well might be more Gnome3 out there (all distros combined) than Unity, but Ubuntu is THE distro to support. Just look at Valve, which is clearly aiming for Ubuntu first. They have to think about Unity because of what Ubuntu is, no matter what DE is dominant in total numbers over all distros. I would doubt that Codeweavers is not subjected to such considerations.

That's sort of why I finally went with XFCE. It has enough gadget to keep me happy, and is simple enough not to "break" any standards or expectations as Gnome3/Mutter or Unity/Compiz might (and obviously do break things).

I'm not saying I'll never switch to another DE, but there is a bit of hoopla with compositing and everybody is doing their own thing. Even XFCE has their own compositor, not that I'm using it. Until things clear (with wayland perhaps?), I for one am staying away from the fancy stuff.

My Wine/Crossover windows do behave very nicely... 😋

If you used gnome2, you might like MATE. It is the fork and continued development of gnome2.

I also don't have problems with the wine windows. (Though I am running opensuse and not ubunu.)

From what I have read, there are significant performance differences between unity and the other DEs. (Unity is not coming out on top of those...)

Actually I use Gnome2 on RHEL (and quite satisfied with it) and Gnome3 on Fedora (because that's what things are going to be after RHEL6.3 becomes too obsolete for desktop). And I really hope that when it would be reasonable to switch to G3 completely it becomes a decent desktop and all glitches we see now are going to be fixed.

Hello,

I have Linux Mint Debian Edition on my laptop with Gnome3.4.2 and Office 10 with crossover seems to function as usual. Wich kinds of troubles do you face to with Windows application under Gnome3 and Wine?

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWHFOQXh3VE1taEtxZHNhcyIsImdkcHIiOjB9