CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

[SOLVED] CrossOver Windows Firefox as default browser

Hi everyone,
So, I'm using Windows Firefox on my linux machine now, because I can use things like Shockwave and Silverlight, and it runs great. But the only thing that bothers my, is that if I press a link from linux (outside the browser), it opens it with the default linux Firefox. Is there maybe a way to set Windows Firefox as the default browser? I'm using Linux Mint 14 Nadia Cinnamon as linux distro.
Thanks in advance!

Hello

Remove the shortcut from the desktop. Go to Crossover control panel edit menus and uncheck the icon placed in the desktop. That's all

Regards
Carlos

Sorry I understood in the opposite. Just change it in your distribution. For example you can replace the Firefox link on your non directory by a script that opens windows Firefox calling cxoffice/bin/wine

Hope it helps

Can you explain that? (I'm not such a Linux god, so I need someone to hold my hand ;) )

jasper580 wrote:

Hi everyone,
So, I'm using Windows Firefox on my linux machine now, because I can
use things like Shockwave and Silverlight, and it runs great. But
the only thing that bothers my, is that if I press a link from linux
(outside the browser), it opens it with the default linux Firefox.
Is there maybe a way to set Windows Firefox as the default browser?
I'm using Linux Mint 14 Nadia Cinnamon as linux distro.
Thanks in advance!

Okay... wait... you want to use Windows Firefox as your 'default' browser on your Linux machine? And not Linux Firefox? Just trying to be clear before I think about how to do this...

Caron Wills wrote:

jasper580 wrote:

Hi everyone,
So, I'm using Windows Firefox on my linux machine now, because I
can
use things like Shockwave and Silverlight, and it runs great. But
the only thing that bothers my, is that if I press a link from
linux
(outside the browser), it opens it with the default linux Firefox.
Is there maybe a way to set Windows Firefox as the default
browser?
I'm using Linux Mint 14 Nadia Cinnamon as linux distro.
Thanks in advance!

Okay... wait... you want to use Windows Firefox as your 'default'
browser on your Linux machine? And not Linux Firefox? Just trying to
be clear before I think about how to do this...

Yup, that's exactly what I want! :D

Ok will be more specific:

sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox_linux
sudo vi /usr/bin/firefox

and write:

/home/cramirez/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "Mozilla Firefox 17" "c:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe"

then

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/firefox

Change the instructions as your convenience. It should work

And how did you manage to install Silverlight in CrossOver?

Regards

Carlos Rafael Ramirez wrote:

Ok will be more specific:

sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox_linux
sudo vi /usr/bin/firefox

and write:

/home/cramirez/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "Mozilla Firefox 17"
"c:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe"

then

Change the instructions as your convenience. It should work

And how did you manage to install Silverlight in CrossOver?

Regards

I did it like the following:
-execute in terminal
gksudo nemo
-go to the folder /usr/bin/ rename the link named firefox to firefox_linux
-copy-paste a random file, rename it to firefox[i] and open it with gedit
-delete everything in it, and paste[/i]

/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "Mozilla Firefox 17" "c:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe"
-execute in terminal

thx

and for silverlight: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=11018

Mmm I didn't know about a ready made installation for Silverlight 5 I will test.

Thanks 😊

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVms3UHU2eUdDTHY4bllwZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9