CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

[PulseAudio] Audio issue fixed (pulseaudio, LinuxMint/Ubuntu) - issue: sound went missing after having worked

Hello everyone,

I recently installed (again) CrossOver Linux 12 to my Mint 14 to get some Steam gaming going. While the games worked fine for a while, I lost audio after a week or so... No impact from killing pulseaudio service/daemon and/or rebooting. This was persistent...

Audio worked nicely elsewhere still. My chrome flash, vlc, amarok and so on were unaffected. Even native steam versions of some of the impacted games were fine (SPAZ, TeamFortress etc).

Of course I kicked around, installed some of my missing alsa and oss plugins and tweaked the audio settings. Nothing seemed to work. I double checked my groups (yep, audio there) and all modules, just in case something broke... nothing.

So, I killed the pulseaudio, stopped the service and took a long breath while going over the init files as well... Those and the configs were fine.

After getting slightly miffed I tore out my existing configs (user configs that is) for gstreamer and pulse. These are in your home directory (hidden because of the starting '.').

drwx------  2 *** ***     4096 Jan 24 08:13 .pulse
-rw-------  1 *** ***      256 Jan 22 21:58 .pulse-cookie

and

drwxr-xr-x 2 *** *** 4096 Jan 22 21:45 .gstreamer-0.10

I removed those as they are related to audio and streaming configurations. I also checked my .local etc, but it seems these were the only instances for me.

ie, to those new for linux command line, use

rm -rfv ~/.pulse*
rm -rfv ~/.gstreamer*

After a reboot, while I had to retweak my audio for my usb headset (just a few mouse clicks and ensuring profile got saved) my audio magically seems to have returned to Crossover games.

While my audio earlier worked fine with all normal software, like vlc, chrome etc, crossover was the only one affected. Now, everything works fine again.

I hope this might help those who are more frustrated with the randomness of this.

Troubleshooting routine for this was:

Audio worked earlier, spontaneously went missing. (possibly after updating some plugins tied to audio stack? or after changing my audio defaults momentarily in gstreamer-properties... who knows).

Audio stack works fine everywhere else. VLC, Chrome, Alsaplayer are fine. In VLC forced to use pulseaudio, and forced to use ALSA, both were fine.

Modules and system config on the audio was fine. No errors, no crashed, no logs related to these. And I can play audio from VLC etc. I can change output and input devices... hmmm...

Issue thus had to be in user config.

Removed user tied configuration (AFTER killing the audio services and daemon) and rebooted to ensure new device discovery is done before the services are restarted... just to be safe.

Your Mileage May Wary, but, this at least worked for me (and I've seen quite a few forum posts about audio issues)...

Good luck!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ1NGcUdQM3RNVFFLS1dGUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9