CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Office 2010 Crashes on Internet Connection

Hi All,

I'm using CX to install MS Office 2010 and specifically Outlook. Excel/Word etc all work fine, Outlook also worked fine the first day i installed it and downloade a good chunk of my inbox.

Now, 2-3 days later when i open outlook it connects fine (i have it set to manually control connection as it wouldnt connect otherwise) i enter password (hosted exchange server) and it connects according to the status bar. However as soon as the download progress bar (downloading 220mb) comes up i'm getting a bailout "Outlook stopped working and needs to be closed" and it crashes.

I've tried the tips/tricks pages and i cant for the life of me figure out why its now throwing a fit when it connects after it was fine the other day. I;ve tried installing the hosts file line, and removed it again as no change.

I'm using Linux Mint 14 / Mate (64bit) desktop on an Inspiron 1501 with a 32bit install of Office 2010.

Has anyone else encountered this error? Greatfully appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Brian Blake wrote:

Hi All,

I'm using CX to install MS Office 2010 and specifically Outlook.
Excel/Word etc all work fine, Outlook also worked fine the first day
i installed it and downloade a good chunk of my inbox.

Now, 2-3 days later when i open outlook it connects fine (i have it
set to manually control connection as it wouldnt connect otherwise)
i enter password (hosted exchange server) and it connects according
to the status bar. However as soon as the download progress bar
(downloading 220mb) comes up i'm getting a bailout "Outlook stopped
working and needs to be closed" and it crashes.

I've tried the tips/tricks pages and i cant for the life of me
figure out why its now throwing a fit when it connects after it was
fine the other day. I;ve tried installing the hosts file line, and
removed it again as no change.

I'm using Linux Mint 14 / Mate (64bit) desktop on an Inspiron 1501
with a 32bit install of Office 2010.

Has anyone else encountered this error? Greatfully appreciate any
help.

Thanks.

Have you setup your exchange account to go rpc over http? Have you tried the "invalid_certs" registry key? Have you tried adding MSVC++ 2008 to your bottle?

Based on the symptoms you describe, those are the first things I would ask you to try. They are in the tips & tricks but without knowing which tips you've attempted I can only suggest what I would do.

I've now done the registry key tweak, to no new effect.

The error seems to go away if i set the sync to only download headers and not the full items. With regards to other tweaks tried, i've installed all the items below, with the exception of the OLE components which seem to screw it up.

I know it has connectivity as it has about 3/4 of my mailbox in and i have managed to send and recieve from it. Its just that its sporadically crashing and its usually linked to when it goes online to download the "Full Items"

Is there a log file etc? Or should i try and capture the dump file when Outlook bails?

Installed software ----

Core Fonts
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Service Pack 6 Runtime
Microsoft XML Parser 3.0
msls31

Thanks
Brian

Windows OLE Components (not installed as this caused errors last time i did it)

Brian Blake wrote:

Installed software ----

Core Fonts
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Service Pack 6 Runtime
Microsoft XML Parser 3.0

Before we collect log files, can you please add Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 to your bottle to see if the situation improves?

Have done that and still getting the bug. I've also applied SP1 for Office 2010. It seems to be related to the actual internet connection via CX itself. i can leave it to download the headers etc fine, and once they are in it works alright, but if i mark an email to "download the rest of the message" this is often where it fails out.

The common point is when its trying to download something large (e.g email with an image on it etc) it just crashes. I'm using a fully licensed version of Office (although i havent put the key in yet to avoid having issues later if this cant be corrected).

Thanks
Brian

Brian Blake wrote:

Have done that and still getting the bug. I've also applied SP1 for
Office 2010. It seems to be related to the actual internet
connection via CX itself. i can leave it to download the headers etc
fine, and once they are in it works alright, but if i mark an email
to "download the rest of the message" this is often where it fails
out.

The common point is when its trying to download something large (e.g
email with an image on it etc) it just crashes. I'm using a fully
licensed version of Office (although i havent put the key in yet to
avoid having issues later if this cant be corrected).

Thanks
Brian

Alright, must be time to get some log files to see what's going on. We have instructions here that will walk you through how to set it up if you do now know.

The first log file I'd like you to gather is one with no flags.

The second log file is one with the flags "+seh,+tid,+thread,+relay". Note that this log file will likely be huge and I'm perfectly fine with you compressing it.

More than likely we will need additional logs to triage this. Does this happen on any message or is it one that's large? If there is a particular email message that causes it that would be helpful (but of course, only if we can reproduce the same results in-house and I have my doubts). I presume that this is a problem for all messages though.

Finally, I want this to go to our ticket system so we can create a bug for the issue. Please send an email to info@codeweavers.com with the above log files attached. If you find the attachments too large to go through, you can upload them to:

OUTLOOK2010forums
passcode: E6YgiplE

In the email to info@codeweavers.com please include a link to this forum thread and a reference to me in addition to your system specs and the Linux distribution you are running (like... Mint 14 64bit on a 7970 AMD GPU with the 12.10 fglrx drivers).

And last but not least, please also gather and attach the output of:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag --debug > ~/Desktop/OUTLOOK2010forumsdiag.txt

I make no promises (as always), but we'll dig in and see what we can figure out.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUTIyU3dXeTlwZEVVR0c5SiIsImdkcHIiOjB9