CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Trying to install Actron but it's 32bit

I have software for my OBD scanner that I'm trying to install and when i try to run it, I get an error stating "there is no windows program configured to open this type of file" it seems to be a wine error. I'm having difficulties trying to build a 32bit wine in my 64bit Ubuntu 12.10. Is there some way that I can tweak something in crossover to be able to install and run this through crossover? Please help with detailed instructions if you can I'm not a pro at this stuff and have been getting extremely frustrated trying to get anywhere with it.

Could I get a legal copy of that software, or a demo? I have a USB based ODB scanner to use it with.

On your end, you could get a debug log by "running a windows command", a pointing it to the software's executable. You can ask for a log in the debug options. In the log, you should look for complaints about missing files in particular. There might be something in the resulting log to indicate what is wrong.

Having tried this a while ago, I ended up using virtualbox and a winxp virtual machine. I would be tempted to try this again via Crossver as we have went through 2 versions since my last try. Know that the big trouble isn't with running software, it's getting Wine/Crossover to actually interact with the scanner. The device needs to be accessed directly, unlike a printer where the instructions are routed through cups, and this is hit and miss under Wine/Crossover.

yes I believe their software is available for download here http://www.actron.com/downloads/ you can scroll through to see if you have one of their scanners but I'm assuming that most of the software is the same, just different drivers. I have a backtrace.txt bug file from Wine failing to install the software, but I wouldn't know where to begin trying to decipher what it is lacking and the winehq forum moderators are kind of giving me very vague instructions and their build instructions have left me with an unusable chroot build that can't even be accessed from terminal. I'm just hoping crossover will be able get this thing going for me, otherwise I'm just going to build a dual OS with full XP alongside linux on another dang computer!

Well, I don't have a scanner from them, but I'm dowloading the scanning software now. I'll try to run this sometime this evening, but then I have professionnal obligations later today, so who knows. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow as to the software itself.

If I get this running, getting your scanner to work will be the next step.

You should know that, even on trial, you do have the opportunity to open a support ticket. The staff might be able to help you better than I.

Thanks so much. I actually purchased crossover after the trial ran out so i have it permanently now just stuck with my one version until I upgrade. I'm going to open a support ticket now , but your help is very much appreciated so anything you got on it please let me know when you can get to it!

I had a bit of time before leaving my office, so I gave it a go.

It's a bad news, good news sort of situation.

Bad news: The software doesn't install properly, hence your error message. Something is preventing it from managin file paths properly during install. Not really sure what to do yet, but I have some ideas.

Good news: Screwing around with my win7 virtual machine, and copying files from it, I got your software running. You will need the Visual Basic 6 runtime in your crossover bottle to run it.

Since I'm already short on time, I can't really be more specific, but at least you know this isn't impossible... yet! 😋

ok installed visual runtime 6, still getting the windows program error

Brandon Goodrich wrote:

ok installed visual runtime 6, still getting the windows program
error

Create a new winXP bottle

Install the following into the bottle:
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Service Pack 6 runtime

Install the Actron Scanning Suite and change the Destination Folder to C:\Program Files\Actron\

Say Sevae, what about the scanner itself, you think something as this idea will work?

It will be the next step to get the hardware to be used and fonctionnal through Crossover, otherwise the software is useless.

J-P Simard wrote:

Say Sevae, what about the scanner itself, you think something as
this
idea will work?

That should do the trick.

Hi Sevae,

I have tried your instructions for setting up the bottle and they don't work for me, as the installation fails to install the files, and I can't even change the install without defaulting to "_browse_properties".

But then, I'm on Arch, so it might something specific to my system. I just wanted to know, did you test this on Ubuntu? Unless Brandon states that all is well on his end, this might not be over.

I don't really care myself, I just don't want to leave the guy stranded.

Try clicking the Back button after changing the Destination Folder. The new location
should now be updated. If not, install it into the default location and manually run the
application. All this does is fix the menu link.

All right, the install does work now.

Brandon,

If your scanner is like mine, you'll have to finish the process while the scanner is hooked up to both an ODB port and your computer. Otherwise, it might not register for lack of power. I don't know why but my scanner has no power whatsoever unless it's hooked up to an ODB port, so I think you best keep that in mind going forward.

In case you didn't notice the steps necessary to attempt connecting your scanner is here. If you have any questions, I'll keep watching.

Good luck!

hey jean,
my unit can be manually powered on if i put batteries in it by holding down the power button till it's on, but when hooked up to the OBD port it runs off the power of the vehicle, just got done building the bottle and installing actron, about to pop in some batteries and see where it all goes, wish me luck!

hey jean-patrick,
scanner is not showing up at all using ls in the ~/dev or lsusb, plugging it in does turn it on, but ubuntu is not recognizing it as a device that is plugged in.
using dmesg i found this in the log which looks like it

[ 5849.816146] [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[ 6079.624267] usb 6-2: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 6416.988198] usb 6-2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[ 6417.156341] usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=125e, idProduct=2806
[ 6417.156354] usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 6417.156363] usb 6-2: Product: SPX - Virtual COM Port
[ 6417.156370] usb 6-2: Manufacturer: SPX Service Solution, Inc
[ 6417.156377] usb 6-2: SerialNumber: 9\xffffffc3\xffffffbf\xffffffbf\xffffffc3\xffffff99\xffffff99\x054A84%q\x03C
[ 6417.235523] cdc_acm 6-2:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 6417.235582] cdc_acm 6-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 6417.238296] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[ 6417.238299] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

Yeah, that's pretty much was my last experience.

I too managed to get my software running, but couldn't get anything going for the hardware. Althought I finally got my scanner to register with the system, Wine/Crossover prooved to be too much a barrier. And by the way, I'm not really sure what the hell I did to get my system to see my device, so I really dread the idea of reinstalling Arch on my system. If I do reinstall, I think my virtual machine solution will break. I'm really greatfull to have chosen a rolling release like Arch, just because of that.

As I'm writing this, I have just had sort of an idea worth trying with Crossover (no really clear path), but it is a really long shot. I'll give it a go with my stuff in the next few days, and if successful, you will be the first to know.

I guess dual-boot is the only sure shot here.

using dmesg i found this in the log which looks like it

[ 5849.816146] [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[ 6079.624267] usb 6-2: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 6416.988198] usb 6-2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[ 6417.156341] usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=125e, idProduct=2806
[ 6417.156354] usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 6417.156363] usb 6-2: Product: SPX - Virtual COM Port
[ 6417.156370] usb 6-2: Manufacturer: SPX Service Solution, Inc
[ 6417.156377] usb 6-2: SerialNumber: 9\xffffffc3\xffffffbf\xffffffbf\xffffffc3\xffffff99\xffffff99\x054A84%q \x03C
[ 6417.235523] cdc_acm 6-2:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 6417.235582] cdc_acm 6-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 6417.238296] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[ 6417.238299] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

Jean-Patrick
ok i set my scanner to "programming mode" and it shows up as "serial" and also brings up "ttyACM0" in the ls,
following the
$ ln -s your-physical-device ~/.cxoffice/bottlename/dosdevices/com1 command with either/both still fails. let me know if you figure anything more out about yours

Yup, I'll keep you posted. But I don't have much hope, and I'm not sure I like the idea, even if it should work...

In any case, you might have found a way to get things going with a vm for yourself, which I find less annoying than dual-booting. And with Virtualbox being free...

is virtual box what u would recommend?

Yeah, Virtualbox runs pretty good.

The other solutions do offer better performance, but then uses like running a ODB scanner or office work doesn't require much performance. In general, at least on my system, I don't really see why I should go for anything else than Virtualbox.

I have a win7 vm running for odd jobs, like programming my parent's universal remote, and for jobs that aren't too graphical -like games- I find performance to be just fine.

well if you do ever firgure anything out about it outside the VM let me know I'll keep digging for a little while longer before I give up

1 to 22 of 22

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidEZVRVZGTU16bVdXY0JObSIsImdkcHIiOjB9