CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Firewire audio device

Hey everyone, been trying to get a PreSonus FIREBOX firewire audio device to work under Crossover.

If only I could find a "Device Manager" type config I could test to see if my bottle is seeing the FIREBOX.

Anyone have ideas on what I could try to get an audio firewire device to work under Crossover?
Or at least be able to "see" it some how?
(I would like to use the ASIO audio drivers. For Cakewalk Sonar 8...)

My version of Crossover is 12.2.1 running on a Dell StudioXPS 1645 in Ubuntu/raring 13.04.
Can provide more information if needed.

Thanks, Jonathan 😊

Maybe you can adapt the tutorial found here. That is assuming that your Linux box is at least aware of your device. Further, if you actually need drivers on top of your software, you're in for a bit of stretch as you are getting far from the basic idea for Crossover.

Making external devices work is a bit of a challenge with Crossover. The only exception are printers, which are kept under cups control. I still haven't got my ODBII scanner to work after much experimentation.

Good luck with your stuff.

Got it. No problem. I'll check it out.

I figured there must be some sort of support because Crossover runs on Mac stuff.

I keep checking back to see what other ideas pop-up. Thank you. -Jonathan

I was curious as to what this thing was, so I found this while looking at things.

Maybe if you get your box properly running in Linux first...

Anyway, I understand that there is the freebob project, which is useful for that FIREBOX gadget of yours. With that, maybe Crossover/Wine will be a little more willing to "see" your firebox.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freebob/

Yes, you're right on!

And yes I have it working in Ubuntu with Jack using qjackctl.

When I have qjackctl running I've configured pulseaudio to use jack.
I also have ALSA (/etc/asound.conf) to use pulseaudio.
So it all gets pumped through jack and the studio grade speakers.

When any program is running in Crossover it does produce sound correctly.
It outputs to Jack.
But a DAW (digital audio workstation) needs more then just being able to make noise.
It needs to “connect” to the device.

One might think that under the Wine configuration you can select what audio device to use.
And yes my video card HDMI audio is in the list with my motherboard sound card.
But they are the hw0 type, and that is ALSA/pulseaudio (?) more and not a firewire audio device.

These sound devices are handled by Wine the middle man.
And therefore I don't think audio devices are fully “visible” and controllable by a Windows program?

I tried having Jack run and then start Cakewalk Sonar 8 but it doesn't see anything nor it as an audio device.
Also tried not using Jack, just plugged in. Not visible.

To test things further I installed Audacity (windows version) to view what devices are visible to programs other then Cakewalk Sonar.

There are two host interfaces listed: MME and Windows DirectSound.

Under MME, it is:

1. Wine Sound Mapper – Output
  2. Out: default
  3. Out: HDA ATI HDMI – HDMI 0

Under Windows DirectSound, it is:

1. Primary Sound Driver
  2. Out: default
  3. Out: HDA ATI HDMI – HDMI 0

I am not able to get dxdiag.exe to execute either, doesn't do anything when it runs.

I think this issue is somewhat parallel to a USB flash drive. The drive is mounted and handled by Ubuntu. Wine just points/maps a drive letter to that directory. The Wine program doesn't see the USB flash. Similarly, Cakewalk Sonar 8 just finds incompatible audio devices not the Presonus FIREBOX.

Curious to know how Wine handles devices...

Good link by the way.
Tried having it activated/sync'd (the blue light verses red). Nope.
Tried not activated/sync'd (just plugged in). Nope.
Tried creating symbolic links to /dev/fw0 and /dev/fw1 under dosdevices. Nope.

I'll dig more and report any findings/success. Thanks, Jonathan 😎

It's a little out of scope but to help others follow, here are some more links and info:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FireWire
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToJACKConfiguration
http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/33

ffado replaces freebob. Under qjackctl the device is “firewire” instead of “freebob”.

Side-note: I've found that if I start then stop qjackctl a lot of times jackd is still running.
Use:
kill -9 [PID]
to terminate all instances of jackd.

After all instances are terminated use gscanbus to reset the bus before starting again.
I picked that up from a forum awhile back.

Something came to mind, in the control panel of the bottle manager, you'll see a "wine configuration" tool. That tool has an "audio" tab, but I don't know if that's any use for you. (Wine is the base of Crossover).

I like where you're going, I came across that too. I'm not sure how to put/configure my own entry in the drop-down list. This is a good lead though and I'm going to dig in that direction and see.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM3dzU1BFdUNzZ1JMTGtjRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9