CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Is it possible to have Crossover install on a different Drive and not at home

Want to install my games on a different drive and not on my home directory. Is it possible to install on different location?

Thanks

My preferred method is simply to create a symlink named ".cxoffice" in my home to where the I want the bottles to be. There is a way to change it in the config files, but I keep forgetting. So...

ln -s /the/target/directory /home/some_user/.cxoffice

Thanks, I just tried it and I see a symbolik link now. Will try to install Diablo 3 now. Will let you know if it works!

The link is created but when crossover starts installing it start giving our errors that the file all ready exist.

Any other ideas?

Yeah, did you move/delete the .cxoffice folder? That's the original destination of bottles, so you have to move it or delete it so that the symlink will work. But if .cxoffice is present in your home, you should have had an error on creation of the symlink too.

I just redid my symlink, just to be sure I gave you a good example command, and it works fine here. So the problem lies with the presence of another file with the same name or something similar.

If you think it will help, you could post the complete command you used (with a different user name if you prefer). Sometimes, there is a small detail that we miss while typing the command, and a second set of eyes usually spots it real quick.

Thanks for trying to help. This is what I did;

1) I deleted the original .cxoffice from my home folder.
2) I created a folder called bottles in the same directory I have crossover installed. (This drive is a Raid 0 formatted as NTFS) Steam Linux is also installed here and works without issue, on a different folder.
3) Made the symbolic link

[code] ln -s /media/187241231/LinuxStuff/Crossover/bottles /home/joeelmex/.cxoffice

4) I then went into my file manager into my home and I do see a .cxoffice folder with a arrow inside the folder.

To give you some insight I am running Manjaro 64 Bit Cinnamon Edition.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

If this helps any, when I load up Crossover once the symbolic link is created it always downloads profiles at start up. If I remove the symbolic link it only loads up the profiles once. Afterwards it wont reload them no more.

With the symbolic link, I did go to the bottles folder I created and I see all the files that crossover has placed, including the Diablo 3 folder.

So if the symbolic link works (i.e. makes you go to the right folder), but the install fails, I wonder if this isn't some NTFS idiotic shenanigans.

First, please take note that my symlink is from linux partition to linux partition. I don't know how a symlink to an NTFS partition will work, or if it is reliable. In particular, rights are handeled very differently in an NTFS partition, and even without symlinks, I have had some very "odd" behavior while using NTFS under Linux, but thankfully it has been rare (just as NTFS partitions aren't common with Linux systems 😋 ) The symlink might be jerking some stupid bug that would otherwise not show up, but I'm just guessing.

Second, I don't know if Manjaro installs nfts-3g, but you might want to make sure it is on your system. It probably is, since you have Steam Linux on there. Without it, NTFS support is minimal under Linux.

That being said, I'm "lazy" and find a symlink is just fine for me. But seing that your system doesn't agree with me, I found the "official" instructions to accomplish what you want, which you will find here. Of course, this will mean you will have to RTFM, but then it is well written! 😀

Let me know if the official instructions aren't clear.

Hmm guys there must be a way to make this work via symbolic links. As I am going through my ~/home I saw a .steam folder also. Guess what, there are symbolic links everywhere.

Should a create the .cxoffice myself then create the symbolic link?

This is the error I get;

[code] An error occurred while running the 'Creating the Diablo III bottle' task

cxbottle:error: the 'Diablo III' bottle already exists

Hmmm more interesting findings. I added the information in cxoffice.conf to store the bottles to me NTFS drive and I get the SAME error. Exactly the same error. It first says it cant make the file, you click on try again, I see it appear and then it gives out the same error that the file is there all-ready.

This is Very odd indeed.

Exact same error as if I had a symbolic link. So we did have the symbolic links correct, there must be something else funky happening.

Oooh, you're sort of "lazy" too and prefer the simlink? I like you! But seriously, you're right in thinking simlinks should just work, as it is the OS which manages that, and apps shouldn't know what's happening at all. But then, I've seen some weird things in my life, including with Linux...

I will proceed from the following assumptions:

1) You no longer have .cxoffice folder in your home, just a symlink with that same name.

2) You have the symlink going to a valid folder where you want your software to install.

First, try installing something else. Firefox actually work well with Crossover, so download the windows version, and install that in a new bottle. Of course, use any software you like, just test with something else then Diablo. If that works, you're set with the simlink.

Second, barring a problem with the above, you should delete the current bottle you have Diablo III in and start from scratch. DO NOT DELETE THE BOTTLE MANUALLY. Although it shouldn't matter, I would think it preferable that you delete the bottle via the bottle manager so that it really knows the bottle is gone. Further, deleting the bottle should clear up any files with bad rights or other shenanigan blocking D3 from installing.

Third, after deleting the bottle, start the install process for D3 again. If it fails after all of this, you might want a support ticket with the staff, as there might be a problem with the install process of Diablo itself.

Well I think I now know better whats the problem. It has to do with permissions and it happens with ALL programs trying to be installed.

Look at this error I got using Wine configuration;

[code] wine: /home/joeelmex/wineprefix/DiabloIII is not owned by yo

That's using the symbolic link. That means when I copy to NTFS drive, the permissions go away and Wine is checking them. (I dont know why Steam works) So I think I will probably have to do the following. Convert half the drive to EXT4 and other half to NTFS.

I run Windows 7 on another SSD drive for the games that don't run at all on Linux.

This is a current configuration;

SSD 1 Windows 7 (ntfs)
SSD 2 Manjaro (ext4)
2 1TB HD in raid 0 (NTFS)

So it looks like if I want to use Wine in my Raid system, I will have to convert half of it into EXT4 :( . I wanted to keep it NTFS so I can use it without problems in Windows.

Today has been rough. :(

Yeah, forgive the interference done to my English by my French speaking habits. When I said "rights", I meant permissions! In French, the terms tend to be interchangeable. That's what I also was referring to when referring to idiotic shenanigans by NTFS.

I really don't like NTFS, which is prone to fragmentation and has a very limited set of permissions. Speaking of fragmentation, my 2 year old ext4 partitions still don't have any noticeable fragmenting. That's on Arch, where files change regularly! I had quantifiable fragmenting in a few months under NTFS!

But before converting, have you tried configuring Crossover, as per the manual? Maybe that without the symlink, things would work and you wouldn't have to convert it. I'm hoping that the symlink might be the cause of some "confusion" about permissions, because I know you can run software on NTFS partitions with pure Wine.

Perhaps there's something you could do to mount the array differently so as to solve the problem? I don't know if this can be, I'm just musing, and I haven't mounted a NTFS drive to Linux in a few years so I don't remember much.

Anyway, I used to dual-boot and had all maners of problems with NTFS. Believe me I know the feeling. At this point, not gaming as much as I used to, my systems are pure Linux, with only Windows VMs for those rare occasions. I have gotten so comfortable with Linux, I would never want to go back. I haven't had to deal with NTFS in a long time...

In the mean times, look at ext2fsd, which might save you some trouble if you do have to convert your raid array.

I had to make some changes to the FSTAB file in order for steam to see the drive. Maybe I need to do some readings and see if I can add users to it. Right now I see permission as ROOT on my NTFS but I without sudo can make/remove folders without issues. Very challenging indeed.

For shins and grins, I ran a a game using WINE on my NTFS drive and worked. I will let you all know what I managed.

I have been thinking to much that my head started hurting. LoL

Thanks

Well, all I can say is good luck.

I never got all the kinks out of using NTFS with Linux. Permissions on a Unix like system are just too out of whack with NTFS for things to be easy. I'm sure there is a way, just not an obvious one, as NTFS really doesn't support what Linux expects.

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidnFBUEMzeWFtZWRKWUtxdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9