CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Printing in Outlook

When printing email messages from Outlook 2007, everythings works on first print. Next print only prints the header and not the email body.
We have noticed several things about the behavior:
-If we close Outlook, go to /drive_c/windows/system32/spool and delete the drivers folder, and then restart Outlook, then the next print is always successful. The second print only shows the email header.
-If we delete Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/OutlPrnt, and restart, then first print works well, but not the second
-If I print to CUPS-PDF, everything is fine.
-Outlook printer settings says letter instead of A4 as default paper size. The GUI wont let me change that. The default printer in Ubuntu is set to A4

I have tried to reinstall 3 times:
-First time without any add ons, and a lot of bugs.
-Second time with IE: That resolved a bug in the address book, where 8 digit phone numbers would add an extra ASCII symbol in front of the 8 digits, no matter what we did
-Third time with IE and Office SP3: That resolved a problem that Outlook would constantly prompt for password when starting up (I have tried a lot of forum suggestions for this without any success until adding SP3)

Outlook version is 2007 with SP3. Internet explorer and core fonts are installed in the same bottle. System is Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit, and the printer is a Canon Pixma MG6450.
There must be a way to resolve this, so I can print the entire email every time I want to ?

What I think, is that there might be other add ons that can help ? DirectX ? MDAC ? And why does CUPS-PDF work and standard printer not ? There must be other options than reinstalling Outlook to solve bugs ? Maybe it is possible to tweak some of the printer files that gets corrupted ? The problem is, that the problem occurs on somebody else's computer, not my own. I'm trying to give remote support, and the user (who is not so technical) is quite tired of all the issues and why it can not be resolved.

Just a side note: inkjets like the Canon PIXMA series are anything but standard. They use a proprietary printer language, so, possible wine bugs aside, it can very well be that something gets "lost in translation". The CUPS-PDF driver, for all intents and purposes, is a standard printer from the p.o.v of the OS and the printing system as it uses the Postscript language.

Download Canon's so called "source" package and see that they provide pre-built modules. No one can debug their drivers but Canon themselves :/

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG6450.aspx

Seems like that is a hard way. Maybe the workaround could be something as easy as creating a cronjob that deletes /drive_c/windows/system32/spool/drivers every minute ?

I guess this folder is populated from the Ubuntu driver the first time, and that's the reason why 1. print works ?

If I were you, I'd file a ticket for this one.

I have done that.
They suggest I stick to CUPS-PDF, which is not so good answer :'-)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibnBVd25hWW40UmFNc1JWUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9