CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can i use a custom icon? (Linux)

I would like to use custom icons for better integration. Is this possible on Linux?

I found this thread for Mac: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;mhl=153018;msg=153018#msg153018

I tried changing the icon entry in "~/.local/share/applications/whatever.desktop".

That changes the icon in the launcher, but after clicking it, the actual application loads with its terrible original Windows icon.

What exactly do you mean by "the actual application loads with its terrible original Windows icon. "? Do you mean an icon in the system tray?

Since you have already changed the icon for the launcher, I will assume that the launcher / menu entry is not what you're talking about. In my opinion, you should have to look at the application configuration itself. Perhaps there is a setting in some file which would allow you to change the icon it uses after launch. If my assumption is correct, this isn't a "linux" issue, and is more about what your application allows.

It might help if we knew what application you're talking about. I would also like to know your distro / desktop environment, just in case there could be an influence there.

SOLVED

Thanks for the quick response. I'm referring to changing the icon in the dock in Unity and Gnome.

Editing the .desktop files (with a text editor) found under "~/.local/share/applications/" fixed the launcher icon, but once launched, instead of indicating that the original icon is now running, it would instead add the old Windows icon to the dock as if it were a different app. That was solved by Step 2 below (still text-editing the .desktop file).

Step 1. Change icon= to point to the icon you want. This should be either an absolute path or a standard application name. In my case I wanted MS Word to use the LibreOffice Writer icon, so I just set icon=libreoffice-writer

Step 2. StartupWMClass=application.exe. In my case, I set StartupWMClass=WINWORD.EXE. This lets the OS know that what Crossover/Wine loads is the same application as the launcher. Now when clicking my custom Word launcher, it just highlights that icon to indicate that it is an open app.

Hope this helps someone else!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWGc1UUVUeGNGc0x5Y241cSIsImdkcHIiOjB9