CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

SteamOS & Crossover

I am attempting to begin the process of installing Crossover 13.1.2 in SteamOS (Valve's Linux distro which is still on the beta status). My goal is to use Crossover to run a few additional games on a spare laptop (Asus G60VX 3.0ghz Core 2 Extreme, 8GB DDR2-800, Nvidia GTX 260M 1GB, 1x 30GB SSD, 1x 500GB HD) that is being used as a guest gaming laptop/portable HTPC.

While I have not yet been successful in my quest to install crossover I figure that a thread should be started for those who would like to do the same. Personally I think that with time SteamOS could become a pretty decent fullfledged gaming focused OS.

How to install Debain Repos in SteamOS:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814396114274132/#p1

My current problem is that I keep running into an error that the crossover .deb package has "ended to soon"...

I will update as I continue my quest, but if anyone has any info or success installing crossover on SteamOS please share!

The idea of running SteamOS to run a Steam for Windows client is wonderfully crazy. The thing is, I have no idea how much foolin' around Valve has done to SteamOS. I also don't know if you will have what Crossover expect's in terms of folders/menus. I'll try this experiment in virtualbox if possible when I have time, but I'm pretty sure there will be some twisted roadblocks on this.

I would state at this point that I doubt SteamOS will afford you any great advantage for gaming itself. No supposed "gaming focused" distro has ever acheived anything special in terms of performance. The reason for SteamOS is to allow Valve to control and curate the experience, as you would see on a console. It won't give you much more than game steaming capabilities.

In May I had SteamOS's desktop user running Steam for Windows under Crossover 13.

I haven't tried again since then.

We have done a bit of this in-house and I love it! SteamOS is still a somewhat moving target, and our support for it is in flux. However, it is possible to run CrossOver in SteamOS and I hope it works for you. Post here with your results and if you hit blocks and I hope you get it going!

It was not meant to be your desktop, therefore you will run into this. You need to watch the video from DebConf from Valve. It explains this in a really nice way. It is not meant to be run like this, if this is what you are wanting to do, run an Ubuntu version and then add the steamOS ppa to get the extras that steamOS has. That way you have a full desktop OS that will support what you are tryinbg to do.

Have you tried installing with the .bin version and then manually installing the dependencies?

SteamOS is based on Debian 6, so the deb file won't work on it. bin file is the only way.

SteamOS is based on Debian 7.1 (Wheezy)

I accidentally nuked all of my VirtualBox installs last week or I'd test it again right now. I'll have a test of the .deb for different versions 'shortly'.

Ah, you're right...

Looks like crossover_13.2.0-1.deb can install and run properly under SteamOS.

To do this you'll first need to set up the official debian repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list

debian wheezy repos

deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

I'm not a debian guy so I'm sure I'm doing this stuff "wrong" but it works :P

sudo su -

apt-get update

dpkg -i crossover_13.2.0-1.deb

This installs, and throws some errors regarding setup and missing dependencies.
You can fix that with this:

apt-get -f install

Then run this again so whatever setup stuff it is doing works properly:

dkpg -i crossover_13.2.0-1.deb

exit

Then this can be launched successfully as the desktop user :D

/opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover

And that should get it going for ya.

manage to install by the .bin file but could not get two of lib files installed. crossover is working so far and i'll submit a report for rift in the beta center when i'm done

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicDNCemQ1dkVWQmVyS2hZVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9