CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Why do I have to use xhost after upgrade to Crossover 12?

After upgrade to Crossover 12 I was unable to use my windows applications.
If I run from Opensuse gui shell, I saw nothing (no application started and no error messages).
If I start applications using command line I saw following errors:

teterkin@teterkin-nb:~/.cxoffice/Microsoft Office
 2010/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^3A_users_crossover_Start+Menu/Progr ams/Microsoft
Office> ./Microsoft\ Outlook\ 2010.lnk
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set
correctly.
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set
correctly.

I tried .sh version and RPM version.
I tried to rebuild file associations and menu items.

After some Google search I have executed following command:

xhost +SI:localuser:teterkin

there teterkin is local user account under which I run the crossover office.

That command allow access to X windows.

Since that I have no problems, I can run my Windows applications, but I need to enter this command after each reboot.

I am wandering why do I have to enter this command? And why I didn't need to do that in previous versions of CrossOver?

Best regards,
Alexander

This issue is addressed at some length on this thread:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=26;mhl=138360;msg=138337

But, long story short - we ship with a new libxcb in Crossover 12 that does not support the Xdm authentication protocol, and it looks like SUSE still needs it. You can work around this by either using xhost, as you've been doing, or by re-naming the libxcb files that ship with Crossover, which you'll find here:

/opt/cxoffice/lib/

they should be

libxcb.so.1
libxcb.so.1.1.0

try re-naming them to something like "old.libxcb.so.1", and then try launching Crossover and installing/registering/using windows apps, again.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUjltV3dGSGJQTW5kNnNtUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9