CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 12 install fails on RHEL/CentOS 5, now can't remove it

[I ran into this problem last week, and so am posting my experience in case someone else has the same issue]

Crossover 12 is not supported on RHEL/CentOS 5!!. Hopefully you're reading this before attempting an install. Crossover 11.3.0 is the last version of the product that will install and run successfully on RHEL/CentOS 5.

If you've installed Crossover 12 on RHEL 5, you'll see an error message like this:

# rpm -ivh crossover-12.0.0-1.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:crossover              ########################################### [100%]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxtie", line 81, in ?
    import cxutils
  File "/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/cxutils.py", line 487
    a = a.split('.') if a else ()
                      ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
error: %post(crossover-12.0.0-1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

Note that Crossover actually is installed after this, but it won't work, at all. So, a reasonable person would try to remove Crossover, but that will fail:

# /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall
  File "/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxmessage", line 81, in ?
    import cxutils
  File "/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/cxutils.py", line 487
                      ^
cxuninstall:warning: cxmessage died. You may want to try 'cxuninstall --help' for alternatives

Next, I tried using yum to remove it

# yum remove crossover.i386

Yum reports that this succeeds, though I still got the "import cxutils" error. However, yum is lying - Crossover is still installed, as I see from checking my /opt/cxoffice directory.

To finally get it of it, I completely deleted my Crossover directory, manually:

# rm -rf /opt/cxoffice

But even after doing that, an install of Crossover 11 will fail:

# rpm -ivh crossover-11.3.0-1.i386.rpm

file /opt/cxoffice/share/wine/wine.inf from install of crossover-11.3.0-1.i386
conflicts with file from package crossover-12.0.0-1.i386 

To get out of this pickle I needed to create the "/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxtie" file that the transaction check is looking for.

# mkdir /opt/cxoffice/

# mkdir /opt/cxoffice/bin/

# touch /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxtie

make that file executable:

# chmod 755 /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxtie

and then run the removal:

# rpm -e crossover.i386

That finally succeeded without error, and I was then able to install Crossover 11.3.0 on my RHEL 5 machine.

Hi!

I'm not really sure I understand your post, the title references a problem with RHEL/CentOS 6 but the post itself references RHEL/CentOS 5, which is it? Also, I installed and uninstalled Crossover 12.0 in RHEL 6 with no problem (if that helps in any way).

Regards.

Well that's embarassing - I made a mistake in writing the title of the post. I've changed it now, this issue is indeed regarding RHEL/CentOS 5, only.

I just want to confirm that I see the same error message while installing (on SL5):

[mvl@sap-alice1 downloads]$ ./install-crossover-12.1.2.bin
upgrade
File "/home/mvl/cxoffice/bin/cxwait", line 81, in ?
import cxutils
File "/home/mvl/cxoffice/lib/python/cxutils.py", line 487
^

[mvl@sap-alice1 downloads]$ python -V
Python 2.4.3

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVFhCcG5mZ1NoeXhZNmdYOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9