CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

External Sound Card Drivers + External USB Sound Devices

If you install the windows driver in Crossover and plug in the device, should the device automatically work, then? Or does the driver need to be turned on somehow?

I assume that in Tools -> Control Panel -> Wine Configuration -> Audio -> output device needs to be selected correctly once for the default bottle, and then just run an Windows application that outputs to the device, like Foobar (which works perfectly BTW in latest Crossover.

Is this correct? (I can't test yet, because my Linux seems not to want to recognize the USB device, which prevents installation of windows drivers in the first place, so working on the Linux Ubuntu side of things right now.)

In my experience, Crossover was never made so as to run windows drivers. That's what ndiswrapper is for, and your mileage may vary.

In fact, sound is handled through ALSA, so your soundcard / device has to be up and running on your system, and managed by ALSA (with or without pulseaudio).

Most distros have pulseaudio these days, so you can use pavucontrol to select the default output. I just set Crossover/Wine to "system default" and use pulseaudio to determine that default so as to switch between my system sound card and my USB headphones. Both are fully supported on my distro.

In other words, I'm prettry sure that windows driver won't get you anywhere...

Thank you for the info about ndiswrapper.
Do I need NdisInstaller too?

I will try that if Linux cannot run the device itself. (I'm trying to get it to detect the device right now by trying various things in Linux -- it was detected on another distribution, but not on Ubuntu / Linux Mint?).

On Windows the driver is required for 24 bit 88 KHz through 192 KHz playback. Maybe linux handles this automatically.

The driver from Thesycon creates an app that runs always while the system is on and this handles audio when audio is played.

XMOS say they support Linux on their website, but I'm not sure if that extends to this particular (very popular recently) control chip for audiophile audio.

Honestly, I don't know much about sound cards, not being an audiophile. I just use the basic sound card on whatever motherboard I have! To go further, I would need exact model name of your devices and do some research, but obviously, I couldn't test anything. Mind you, I wouldn't find out anything more than what Google knows about your devices under Linux.

The point is, you have to get your devices working in Linux because Wine/Crossover goes through ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture). If your devices aren't running in Linux itself (whatever distro), you won't have access to them in Wine/Crossover. And Ndiswrapper isn't a miracle cure, as it was mainly created for wifi cards. It runs other drivers, but your mileage WILL vary.

J-P Simard is right, CrossOver will not be able to run your sound driver. You need a Linux driver for your device.

Ndiswrapper can run Windos drivers on Linux, but it is limited to wifi drivers. I think it has been extended to support a few other device categories, but to my knowledge it never received support for audio devices.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidGV6NDI5S1lNRUp4TEVDSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9