CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover hangs system when trying to examine a bottle or add new application

I installed Crossover 12.5 evaluation to my Mint 15 XFCE installation. All was well and I was able to get two non supported windows apps working fine. I beleive that i powered my system down without exiting one app and from then on, trying to start a windows app hung the whole system. I was able to delete crossover and even deleted the directories on /opt and in /home. I can re install with no apparent problems but it will continue to hang the whole system if I try to install a windows app.

I'm running Mint 15 Olivia xfce 64-bit on a Lenovo T420 laptop with i5 processor 8GB ram.

Thanks for any pointers.

I believe that I've figured out my issue. Crossover does not work with AVG antivirus running. I had to stop all the services. I did not attempt to identify the specific service that was impairing Crossover, I simply stopped all of the AVG services.

Why run a virus scanner on a linux system? Most of the virusses are created for windows anyways. You coul try a different virus scanner and see you don't get the problem then.

If one regularly sends files to Windows systems then running an AV on Linux may help prevent spreading a virus to them. For infrequent transfers, it makes more sense to scan a given file with one of the online scanners.

is AVG running under wine, using Cx? - within a bottle ??.

• if you do want to use a antivirus, - then use one that runs natively under a 'nix O/S.

http://www.bdantivirus.com/bd_unices.php
is just one example ..

AVG has a native linux build. I don't remember whether it had real-time monitoring o disk access or not.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieFlKZlJhcFVFQUthTGtUSiIsImdkcHIiOjB9