CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

13 is out!

Anyone already upgraded? I have noticed that Ubuntu installer doesn't want to upgrade, but to install the package. Does one need to remove the installation of 12.5.1 Crossover, before upgrading to 13?

I'm also having difficulty upgrading from 12.5 to 13.0 in Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS /64bit. Attempt to install with "gdebi" provides the following error/warning:

Error: Breaks existing package 'ia32-crossover' that conflict: 'cxoffice5'. But the '/home/louis/Downloads/crossover_13.0.0-1.deb' provides it via: 'cxoffice5'

The warning/error can't be ignored because the "Install" button is not active in gdebi to proceed with the install despite the warning message.

Also running the recommended command (sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386) doen't work. You get an error 'unknown option --add-architecture'.
I have a ticket in for support.

The download page says Ubuntu 12.10 and above, but I need it to work on Ubuntu 12.04, too. If anyone comes up with a solution, please post it here.

Not supporting the LTS version is a very strange decision. They should at least provide information which package needs to be upgraded to get it running.

For Ubuntu 12.04 there is the generic installer. Uninstall the old version, run the installer and you're up to date.

The "why" is covered in the release notes for CrossOver 12.5.1:

CrossOver now ships multiarch packages for Debian-based
distributions. The non-multiarch Debian packages are legacy and no
longer shipped. CrossOver 12.5.0 is the last version of CrossOver
where non-multiarch Debian packages are available. Users of
non-multiarch aware Debian distributions can still use our Mojo
installer.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

For Ubuntu 12.04 there is the generic installer. Uninstall the old
version, run the installer and you're up to date.

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

[b]"Silviu Cojocaru Posted:  
 For Ubuntu 12.04 there is the generic installer. Uninstall the old version, run the installer and you're up to date."[/b]

The generic "bin" version of Crossover doesn't install any needed dependencies according to Crossover support file and they recommend using the deb version.

Also, I seem to recall that 12.04 LTS supported multiarch, but I could be mistaken about that. I also, didn't see any note on my 12.5.1 download files page about about the multiarch issue going forward for 12.04 LTS and, as I already noted, their command line suggestions simply don't work.

What is a "Mojo" installer?

one of the principle reasons to stay with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, - was the issue with PAE support.

• if , like me, your PCs cpu is a non-pae type, - then you cannot upgrade past 12.10 😥
    it is still an unknown, - as to if Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will support a non-pae type cpu.

• one could easily get stuck in a time warp, - if this becomes true, - as you could not upgrade past 12.04 LTS.
    & thus be also stuck on Cx 12.0 😐

however, the BINary version of CX 13 - does work on Ubuntu 12.10 & higher, it's just the DEB version, - that doesn't work.
& it's a little trickier to install .. ..

12.04 and previous were sort of multiarch.

Yes the bin file does not install any deps. On a system that is upgraded from a previous version of CrossOver, this is not an issue but it may be for new installs at which point we either get questions in forums or Codeweavers get tickets (sometimes both). New installs are also more likely to happen on newer versions of the various Linux distros in which case, the newer debs and rpms will work just fine. So far, I haven't seen much "disturbance in the force".

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

So far, I haven't seen much "disturbance in the force".

"Be a Jedi, use Linux!"
"Linux (or Linus), the force is with you!"
"Linux, the lightsaber of OSs!"
"Join the rebellion, use Linux!"
"There is no try, Linux you must use!"

Sorry, that was an obligatory response to a StarWars reference, and I could go on...

A note to all 12.04 LTS users.

With a little difficulty, I successfully installed the 13.0.0 binARY after first removing Crossover 12.5.0. I reinstalled my archived "bottles" and everything appears OK.

Removing the older version was a little tricky because the "Uninstall Crossover" button doesn't actually uninstall the Crossover program; it only removes the "bottles" that you previously created for your Windows programs. Be sure to archive your existing "bottles" before uninstalling version 12.x.x.

To remove the actual 12.x.x version of the program you need to open Synaptic Package manager search and select the "ia32-crossover" file and mark for complete removal. If you don't do this first, when you attempt to install the 13.0 bin file, the installer will want to install to a location in your "home" directory instead of /opt/cxoffice (which is the location for a "deb" install using root access.) This would leave you with two installs of the program - confusing at best. Also, you can't change the location of the installation to /opt/cxoffice because you don't have root access and even if you did it still doesn't work - I tried and got an error message.

That's my experience. Hope it helps someone.

In response to my support ticket, just received this answer on 11/14/13 @ 11:30am:

[b]"With Crossover 13, we have changed our .deb installer to support multiarch. Ubuntu 12.04 does not have great support for multiarch, so you will not be able to use our .deb installer.

You can use our generic .bin installer though. You can download that here http://media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/cxlinux/demo/install-crossover-13.0.0.bin

If you need help installing Crossover, you can use our helpful guide here http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/install

Thanks
Vince"[/b]

Louis J. Rizzo wrote:

the installer will want to install to a location in your "home"
directory instead of /opt/cxoffice (which is the
location for a "deb" install using root access.)

The logical conclusion of which if you do use "sudo" to execute the bin files, thing will go into /opt just like the deb and become a system wide install instead of just for one user.

J-P Simard wrote:

Louis J. Rizzo wrote:

the installer will want to install to a location in
your "home" directory instead of /opt/cxoffice
(which
is the location for a "deb" install using root access.)

The logical conclusion of which if you do use "sudo" to execute the
bin files, thing will go into /opt just like the deb and become a
system wide install instead of just for one user.

Yes, but only after you manually remove (via Synaptic or apt-get) the older 12.x.x installation, which, as I pointed out above, is not done automatically by selection of the "Uninstall Crossover Linux" button from the "Crossover" menu (no doubt because the uninstall is being run as "user" instead of "root"). It was my experience that unless version 12.x.x was first removed, using "sudo ./install-crossover-13.0.0.bin" didn't work correctly.

Has anyone of you who have upgraded to 13.0.0 issues with full screen games freezes at exit?

One one of my computers when selecting "exit to desktop" in GuildWars2, the game freezes, the background sound keep on playing and you can move the mouse pointer around, but nothing else happens until killing all the wine processes with "kill -9".

I don't have GW2. Do any other titles exhibit this behavior ?

On Fedora the upgrade itself was easy: click on the rpm link and choose open with installer. Password -> done

Diablo2 LoD only offers DirectDraw or 3dfx now and no Direct3D any more :(

Marcus Becker wrote:

On Fedora the upgrade itself was easy: click on the rpm link and
choose open with installer. Password -> done

Diablo2 LoD only offers DirectDraw or 3dfx now and no Direct3D any
more :(

I can't reproduce that here. D2VidTest detects d3d just fine here. That said, I was using my development code and not the shipped CrossOver 13 code. Do you use Linux or OSX? If you're using Linux, are you sure your 32 bit OpenGL libraries are working ok?

Sorry, stupid me: You said "Fedora", so it's quite clear you're using Linux...

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

Marcus Becker wrote:

On Fedora the upgrade itself was easy: click on the
rpm link and choose open with installer. Password -> done

Diablo2 LoD only offers DirectDraw or 3dfx now and no Direct3D any
more :(

I can't reproduce that here. D2VidTest detects d3d just fine here.
That said, I was using my development code and not the shipped
CrossOver 13 code. Do you use Linux or OSX? If you're using Linux,
are you sure your 32 bit OpenGL libraries are working ok?

Thank you for the reply.

I am pretty sure the 32bit OpenGL are working. D&D Neverwinter runs from the same bottle without problems.

It would be terrible to redo the bottle, because I also have lots of custom starters for mpq extraxtion and tbl, txt-editing etc. Maybe if I find the time on the weekend :(

p.s. here is the ticket for the issue:
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=970220;layout=user_tickets;sort[status]=ASC

1 to 18 of 18

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicndoNUJnTUVQS3hSSllGeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9