CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

World of Warcraft - Shader/Shadow settings not available

I have the latest version of Crossover 13.0.0.

I have the latest NVIDIA Driver: 331.20

I have a GeForce GTX 650

Running up to date Ubuntu 12.04.

WoW does not allow the shadow or shader settings because it doesn't seem to find the video card acceptable. The installation works other than I cannot get the max performance out of the video card. I have tried other cards, drivers crossover versions. I always get WoW to work, but I never get the full options of the video settings.

This is not major, but I would like to resolve it. Things like water in game simply don't look the way it should all things considered. The fps and sound work, it is just this one video issue now.

Thanks.

Uhm is this something new that broke? What you describe has been an "issue" for a long time and I think it will be fixed when CX gets some DX10/11 support.

It's not dx10 that is needed here. WoW does not use it. What we need is an implementation of the nvidia-specific nvapi.dll library. Nvapi provides a call that allows resolving a multi-sampled depth buffer.

AMD cards have a similar hack, but it uses magic numbers passed to IDirect3DDevice9::SetRenderState to invoke it. We implement the AMD RESZ hack, even on Nvidia GPUs. Unfortunately most games don't use AMD's suggested way of checking for support of the hack and just assume that because you have an Nvidia card the only way to resolve a multi-sampled depth buffer is via nvapi.dll.

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

It's not dx10 that is needed here. WoW does not use it. What we need
is an implementation of the nvidia-specific nvapi.dll library. Nvapi
provides a call that allows resolving a multi-sampled depth buffer.

AMD cards have a similar hack, but it uses magic numbers passed to
IDirect3DDevice9::SetRenderState to invoke it. We implement the AMD
RESZ hack, even on Nvidia GPUs. Unfortunately most games don't use
AMD's suggested way of checking for support of the hack and just
assume that because you have an Nvidia card the only way to resolve
a multi-sampled depth buffer is via nvapi.dll.

So do I need nvapi.dll or the AMD RESZ hack? It sounds like I need the hack, but finding very little info on it. Any pointers to where I can find an implementation of it?

the AMD RESZ hack is implemented in our d3d implementation. It's not something you can manually install. We do not have an nvapi.dll implementation. So if you have an Nvidia card there's nothing you can do to fix this unfortunately.

Well at least I don't feel bad for not being able to figure this problem out then. 😊

After more looking around I found some discussion that the D3D9 (direct X) was working much better for WoW now. So I changed the WTF.conf from OpenGL to D3D9 and it fixed the problem completely. All options are fully available.

I was also able to tune the settings so I was getting similar fps while also getting the shader to work. I will try it on direct X and report back, but it looks like that is preferable to OpenGL now when for the longest time that was insta doom on functionality. Nice to see Crossover working much better in that regard. It also will make it worth my time to buy the much more expensive video card. 😉

I never used the -opengl switch when I played WoW. The visuals and framerate were always worse than when using D3D, even on my GTX 260.

I've installed WoW yesterday while playing with the Battle.net desktop client and I'm really impressed. Nice water effects are there (other visuals too), good framerate even in crowded places and most important of all things, CX/wine's d3d implementation is now good enough to run WoW, Diablo III and StarCraft II without having to install Microsoft's DirectX libs.

I have had a bit more time to play with this and it really is working well. Codweavers should really encourage the DirectX instead of the OpenGL for WoW now. The frames are more stable and there is no comparison in the graphics. Well done on the DirectX implementation.

I have filed a bug report as a reminder. I agree that the d3d renderer is working well enough nowadays. I even forgot that we're still configuring WoW to use the GL renderer :-\ .

1 to 10 of 10

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRUd0ZVl3M0dwMnNKTW5XQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9