CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 13.0.0's graphics thread architecture

In the release notes for 13.0.0, the graphics system got a dedicated thread:

"The focus of CrossOver 13.0.0 is better performance for games.
CrossOver 13.0.0 includes our new Performance Enhanced Graphics. With
Performance Enhanced Graphics, CrossOver creates a dedicated thread
for graphics commands, making better use of the CPU and GPU. During
in-house testing we have seen some frame rates double what they were
with earlier versions of CrossOver. "

I don't know how typical my use case is, but I run multiple Steam clients in different bottles on the same system. With <13.0.0, this worked pretty flawlessly. I've been able to run co-op games with 4 different bottles all in the same game on the same system.
When I upgraded to 13.0.0, I started getting weird performance problems (black screens, etc) when I tried 4 simultaneous Steam client games at the same time. I attributed this to the dedicated thread being overloaded with that much CPU/GPU activity.
I've since stepped back to 12.5.1 and everything works great.

Could you tell us the games that exhibit this problem? Could you tell more about your system? (OS, video card, driver version if on linux , etc...)

There is a tick-box in version 13 that allows one to quickly disable CSMT per bottle for troubleshooting purpose. Could've used that to see whether the games worked proper or not.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

Could you tell us the games that exhibit this problem? Could you
tell more about your system? (OS, video card, driver version if on
linux , etc...)

There is a tick-box in version 13 that allows one to quickly disable
CSMT per bottle for troubleshooting purpose. Could've used that to
see whether the games worked proper or not.

Crossover newbie fail.
I didn't realize the significance of "Performance Enhanced Graphics" under the Advanced bottle options.
I have re-installed crossover 13.0.1, updated my 4 bottles to disable PEG and tested again. Everything works great and I was able to run 4 player co-op again.

Just for the record:
The game in question is Borderlands 2.
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 v2
Video Driver: Proprietary Nvidia from rpmfusion (kmod-nvidia-3.11.9-200.fc19.x86_64)

Did this also happen in single-player?

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVFJSY3ZZTVBxQkZic3U4WiIsImdkcHIiOjB9