CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installed CrossOver Office and MS Office 2007, but how do I run MS Office Apps?

I installed crossover-pro 10.2.0-1 on my Kubuntu system. I usually ssh into Kubuntu from WinXP/XMing. It's perverse, but I'd prefer to run Excel and Word on my Linux machine than my WinXp machine.

I installed MS Office 2007 into a bottle using Cross Tie. It was surprisingly easy.

I also figured out how to run Word and Excel -- I run /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxrun and browse for the Word and Excel executables. But this is kind of inconvenient.

Ideally, I'd like a Linux executable like "/usr/local/bin/cxexcel" that I can run from an ssh terminal and have Excel pop up on my Windows desktop.

I'd also like to know if there's an CX application that simulates the MS Windows Programs menu: some cx app that lists all the bottles (i.e. MS Office 2007, Left For Dead, Quicken, etc) and the main executables within those bottles (word.exe, dead.exe, quicken2010.exe, etc).

I haven't looked at KDE yet, but I assume if I were to log into my Linux box directly instead of sshing in, I'd see Excel and Word in the list of KDE applications.

Thanks!
Pete

It is a little easier to do this from terminal than the steps you are taking.

If your Microsoft Office 2007 bottle is set as default, you can run:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --cx-app WINWORD
If it is not set as default, you can run:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "Microsoft Office 2007" --cx-app WINWORD
You can make the bottle default by running:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxbottle --bottle "Microsoft Office 2007" --default
From there, you can make a script that would launch each application via your preferred command.

As far as a view like a Windows program menu... not at this time. Perhaps in the future. Right now the closest you get is:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxsetup
This will bring up the bottle manager.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZlY4VVpjM3NjY3d2Y2FUOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9