CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game app screws up my workspace arrangement: all windows go into different workspaces

I finally got Praetorians working (an old game which I liked quite a bit). With Wine and the default crossover install I only hear the sound, don't see anything. I guessed this might be because the default install creates the latest directx. So I created a new bottle, and installed the game from the cd, which installs the directx 8. And this works!!!

Unfortunately it switches to 1024x768 while my screen is 1920x1200. After I come up the screen switches back to 1920x1200 which is nice, but all the windows (I've usually 50 terminals or so open...) they are dumped all in different workspaces (I got 6 of them). What I want is for the windows to stay in their respective workspace and not change position.

Is that possible?

Hi...

...that's curious behavior - which window manager are you using?

Cheers!

Compiz I think. Have all these 3D things to scroll around my desktop.

..compiz is a desktop effect, not a window manager,
-and- I never use it anyhow ... but, this doesn't
answer my question, and I'm pretty sure the problem
sounds like a WM issue -- try again (or disable compiz)..

Cheers!

That's incorrect, compiz can also be a window manager. But thanks for the replies, this led me to believe it was a setting.

And indeed it was. If I turn off the Session Management utility everything stays in its place!

..glad you got it sorted ...ftr ..

"Compiz is an OpenGL compositing manager that use GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap for binding redirected top-level windows to texture objects. It has a flexible plug-in system and it is designed to run well on most graphics hardware.

Okay, this description isn’t really meaningful. In a nutshell, Compiz is a compositing manager, which means that it enhances the overall user interaction by adding fancy effects to your windows, from drop shadows to awesome desktop effects like the Desktop Cube or the Expo view. Compiz can also be a window manager, which means that it is the software between you and your desktop apps. It enables you to move or resize windows, to switch workspaces, to switch windows easily (using alt-tab or so), and so on."

source: http://www.compiz.org/

..so I stand corrected ; it's primary use is a compositing manager,
but it can also be used as a window manager.

Cheers!

Berend de Boer wrote:

That's incorrect, compiz can also be a window manager. But thanks
for the replies, this led me to believe it was a setting.

And indeed it was. If I turn off the Session Management utility
everything stays in its place!

Compiz is usually considered to be a set of effects for DE's (desktop environments). However it's not mature and has been causing such difficulties that it will probably be in the dustbin of history before too long:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA1Mjc

Due to the large fps hit that compiz-enabled systems incur when it's enabled, in combination with instabilities, it's not a good idea for it to be enabled on linux systems running games under cxpro. For best fps performance, the DE that turns out the best results on fps benchmarks currently is Xfce. The worst is Unity.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia25YRk45NXM4SEg1c3BYSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9