CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Phantom Printers How to Remove

There is something odd with my Crossover wine setup. When I go to print I see lots and lots of printers. Some of which I know I did have installed in Linux but have deleted them since.

How can I get rid of these printers?

Apparently wiping out all you cx bottles does not do it (see different post) so where the hell is it getting this information from?

I have the same problems in Windows 7. I have a long list of printers when I try to print checks in Quicken 2010. None of them seem to work and the list does not reflect the new printers I've installed.

I have exactly this same problem running Office 2003 under RHEL 5.7. Plus my print to pdf doesn't show up in the Office applications. It looks like the printer configuration is being captured into a win.ini file within the bottle. So, for example, I installed Visio 2003 into its own bottle. So these phantom printers are showing up in the file:

Visio 2003/dosdevices/c:/windows/win.ini

But I don't see any tools, techniques, nor documentation explaining what this is and how I update it.

I'm explicitly running CrossOver because (a) I am required by my management to run the Office products in order to produce certain artifacts, (2) I don't want to have to reverse engineer Micro$oft products just in order to make them work, and (iii) I don't want to manage a Windoze OS in a virtual machine for the increasing limited number of products that I would need it for.

Thus far, after two years of use, CrossOver seems to be an admirable alternative. But the printer support leaves a bit to be desired, particularly with respect to administration.

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

If you go into the system.reg and user.reg files of the respective bottles, i.e.

~/.cxoffice/Microsoft Office 2010/system.reg

and search for the name of the extra printers. Try deleting those entries and then save the .reg files. That should clear the extra printers.

You can also pace something like this in your .bashrc or similar.

bottle='p_Microsoft_Office_2010'
IFS='
'
for x in $(grep 'System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Print\\Printers' ~/.cxoffice/$bottle/system.reg | awk '{ print $1; }' | cut -b2- | sed s/.$//)
do
/opt/cxoffice/bin/regedit --bottle $bottle -D HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\$x
done

This deletes all printer registry keys and makes wine start with no printers so it has to generate them from scratch each time an application is launched.

Hi,

I added an extra for loop on an array of all my bottles to clean them all out to your .bashrc but found this was laggy on terminal start so I've moved it to a cron job. Saying that it does not appeared to have worked so I think I need to double check it.

I still have hundreds of printers in wine.

I guess manual edit for now.

J

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnBOUzhFOWQ5NTJIS2N6aCIsImdkcHIiOjB9