CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

move purchsed copy of CROSSOVER from one PC to another

My current PC (old) has too many issues with old hardware to make continued use impractical. I want to remove my copy of crossover and reinstall on new PC running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit version. How do I do this without having to buy another copy of CROSSOVER?

John

You should know that you can install Crossover on as many machines as you want, provided only one copy runs at time, per licence. So you can also move Crossover around freely from machine to machine, without buying another licence. The rule is one running instance per licence.

That being said, there should be an "uninstall" menu entry for Crossver, and it will give you the option to remove the bottles too. If you can't find the menu entry, you can run cxuninstall from the cxoffice/bin directory which, if you've installed the software without root privileges, should be in your home directory.

After that, you sould just reinstall wherever you wish. If you're switching from 32bits to 64bits, your 64bit system will need 32bit librairies installed to run, which shouldn't be much of a problem in Ubuntu. Crossover shoudl list missing librairies when you try to install windows software.

J-P Simard wrote:

You should know that you can install Crossover on as many machines
as you want, provided only one copy runs at time, per licence. So
you can also move Crossover around freely from machine to machine,
without buying another licence. The rule is one running instance
per licence.

That being said, there should be an "uninstall" menu entry for
Crossver, and it will give you the option to remove the bottles too.
If you can't find the menu entry, you can run cxuninstall from the
cxoffice/bin directory which, if you've installed the software
without root privileges, should be in your home directory.

After that, you sould just reinstall wherever you wish. If you're
switching from 32bits to 64bits, your 64bit system will need 32bit
librairies installed to run, which shouldn't be much of a problem in
Ubuntu. Crossover shoudl list missing librairies when you try to
install windows software.

The license also say that you're the only one who use the program.
If you share it with another person you need another license :)

No it does not! Right at the beginning of the licence, it says:

"This is a license for one user. The license is not necessarily for a
specific user, or a specific computer, but it is for one person at a
time."

So it's one user at a time, and not limited to a specific person, as directly stated I might add. Also, both as a technical and judicial problem, I dare you to enforce a licence the licence to a specific person with a software like Crossver, or any software for that matter. How would you know? How could you prove who used the software without risking attacking a users privacy?

With respect, the very impossibility, at least impracticality of such a disposition should have indicated that you have read the licence in a very wrong way.

Oh, and I'm a lawyer, I read this stuff religiously.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiejV1WHVxN2hOY0M3QUhkeiIsImdkcHIiOjB9