CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Install of beta 11.2 additionally to 11.1 on Linux

Is it possible to install the beta version of crossover (11.2) for testing purposes additionally to a working version (11.1) on a Linux system (Debian 6.0.3)? Don't want to crash all my working bottles like last time I installed the beta which automatically replaced my working version.

Technically yes you can, but I think the safest way to test the beta is to create a new user for that purpose. I have a test user account for that very reason. When I use that account, there is no chance that I might screw something up in my real account.

I gave myself access to the test account home folder too. So if I want to test something I have in my other account (without a reinstall), I just copy things over.

I go the whole hog:-

use a dedicated "Test" PC
for things like Cx & 'new' O/Ss.

Lucky you! But I can't afford two SLI gaming rigs... 😀

A test account on my machine is enough for my budget!

Of cause a test user profile or a new machine works well, thanks. But, it was not really what I was looking for 😉 So, if anybody knows a workaround ...

All right, then just change the destination folder at install.

Say, instead of /home/USER/cxoffice, go for /home/USER/cxbeta. It should create both a "cxbeta" and ".cxbeta" folder in your home, keeping your bottles seperate. The installer will ask you to confirm that you want two seperate installs.

Sounds reasonable. I tried "dpkg -i --instdir=/home/test/cross2 crossover_123.deb", it gives some errors. Hope to find a solution. But, maybe this is off-topic here as I am just not able to use dpkg correctly 😉

Sorry, I forget how to use .deb by lack of use, since I switched to Arch, and I'm not sure what you need to do. Not a comment, just saying... Anyway, I got used to using the bin file, because it worked well up to now, and still does.

The easy, quick and "dirty" (as in bypass the package manager "dirty") method is to use the bin file, as it gives you the choice as to where to install. The uninstaller works great too, so no going through the package manager is not much of a concern, as there is no "cleaning" concerns. This will give you an "obvious" way to choose the install directory. Once the beta is over, you can uninstall go for the deb package again.

It's up to you to decide if this is an acceptable path for your system.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicWduU210NWFrY2g2N1p0RSIsImdkcHIiOjB9