CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Rebuild bottles?

Hi,

I have a MS Office 2010 bottle I built with the first release of CrossOver 11 and I'm wondering if it is necessary (or beneficial) to rebuild bottles when new versions of CrossOver Office is released?

Thanks.

I have not found any reason to recreate bottles on new releases as a rule. I tried new and old bottles side by side, and I have never seen any difference.

Unless your bottles have become truly problematic (and that hasn't happened often for me), I wouldn't worry about that.

mattatron wrote:

Hi,

I have a MS Office 2010 bottle I built with the first release of
CrossOver 11 and I'm wondering if it is necessary (or beneficial) to
rebuild bottles when new versions of CrossOver Office is released?

Thanks.

Well... the bottles do 'update' when you install a new version. Hopefully you are taking precautions like archiving your most important bottles before you install a new version of CrossOver.

Do you have anything that is not working to your satisfaction with Office 2010? If no, no need to reinstall. If yes, did updating fix it? Also, if yes, did you submit a Support Ticket about it?

If something is not working to your satisfaction with Office 2010 and it's not fixed in an update with your existing bottles it probably won't be fixed by a clean install. There are exceptions to that... and that's where creating a Support Ticket comes in. In cases like this we create a bug and if we fix the bug we will send you update about the fix following a release and in that update we'll let you know if the fix requires a clean install of the application.

So, the short answer... there is no need to reinstall Office 2010 or any other application with a new release of CrossOver. (note: there are exceptions to this)

Thanks for the replies.

The bottles all seem to be working fine after the upgrade. It was more of a question of what best practice is.

The only issue I have after the upgrade is that the application icons for Office 2010 apps have all disappeared and have been replaced by generic CrossOver icons. It's only cosmetic, but it would be nice if this didn't happen.

You can try to rebuild the menus with "manage bottles" tool. In the "configuration" tab, you'll find the "Edit Menus" function. Withing that window, you'll have a button marked "recreate" (or something similar, I'm translating from the french version). This will work it's magic and do the menu entries again.

That has reset the proper menu icons for me.

J-P Simard wrote:

You can try to rebuild the menus with "manage bottles" tool.

Thanks, I've tried that and it didn't work. I also tried the cxmenu CLI utility - with no success.

I actually think this is more of a XFCE problem than CrossOver, as XFCE is responsible for generating the menus.

That's strange, I use XFCE too and it worked. I have no idea what made the difference.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOWRhTEF2UzgyeXBFWVVuRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9