CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installation failing to recognise .tie file

I just installed Crossover for Linux, and downloaded the Microsoft Word 2010.tie file.
But when I open the downloaded file (by clicking on the icon it created at the bottom of the Chrome screen)
it runs the Crossover installer as if I was trying to install from a .exe file. It keeps opening the "Select
an Installer" option where it wants me to select a .exe to install or a folder to look in. The file dialog
only allows it to see Windows Installer Packages, Programs, Font, or Archives, not .tie files.

In the directory browser (Thunar) the file is correctly identified as "CrossOver CrossTie file", but the right-click
options only provide "Open with CrossOver (Install)", which [as above] doesn't know about .tie files.

How do I make it recognise the .tie file and act on it?

[BTW Crossover folks, not everyone has their browser set to "open" downloaded files: mine just get saved to ~/Downloads]

///Peter

The .tie file is best thought of as an "installer recipe". It tells Crossover how to install a given windows application, what additional settings and dependencies are needed, etc.

In cases where the software is freely available, the .tie can be programmed to automatically download and install it, but in cases where the software is not free (i.e. MS Office apps), you must already possess the installer media. When you run the .tie (which you're doing), you'll need to select the installer .exe file, CD, or disc image in that "select an installer" phase, and then proceed.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUUU0Nk5IVWhjdTdXSkJraCIsImdkcHIiOjB9