CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Using an external drive

Has anyone here figured out how to move installed Codeweaver CrossOver for Linux bottles to an external drive and run the installed Microsoft Windows software applications off that external drive? I want to move my Valve Corporation Steam Client for Microsoft Windows bottle to my external OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SATA-III SSD that is inside an external drive enclosure with Super Speed USB 3.0. I want to keep my existing bottles in my small 25.00 GB /home partition. I have a System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC running OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed. I have Codeweavers CrossOver for Linux 32 bit version 11.3.1 which I got from the Flock the Vote giveaway this past Wednesday.

How do I make this work?

Hey Welley,

CrossOver puts all of its bottles in your home directory, under ~/.cxoffice. What I'd suggest you do is move one or more of the bottle directories to the external drive, and then put in place a symlink to point to the new location. I'm a command line junkie, so for me, that would look sorta like this:

mv ~/.cxoffice/bottle-name /my/new/drive/place/i/want/bottles/
ln -s /my/new/drive/place/i/want/bottles/bottle-name ~/.cxoffice/bottle-name

Make sure CrossOver isn't running while you do that.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia2ZkY05oRkJTTUd5eE44eiIsImdkcHIiOjB9