CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Version 12 X11 Issues

Unlike all other previous versions of CrossOver, version 12 immediately refuses to spawn any applications in a bottle and errors out. There is also a link that goes to a broken page: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag/x11notworking

I am using SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP2 x64

Here's the cxdiag:

[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

[MissingLibMpg123]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libmpg123.so.0 library"
"Description"="Needed by some Windows applications to play MP3 files."

[MissingLibOpenal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libopenal.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides audio support to Windows applications."

[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[X11NotWorking]
"Level"="Require"
"Title"="X11 does not work"
"Description"="X11 did not work in our simple tests. This means neither CrossOver nor Windows applications will work."

I have opened a ticket on this same issue, but no progress has been made yet:922704

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=922704;layout=user_tickets;sort%5Bstatus%5D=ASC

My cxdiag is not exactly the same. But I see the same message on the install software page, and nothing runs.

Hi all

I had the same X11 issue with OpenSuse 12.2 until I installed proprietary drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 5450 card in my system.

As for the LibTiff OpenSuse 12.2 is using libtiff so.5 or ver. 4.0.2-1.9.1 Older versions of OpenSuse 12.0 and 12.1 use version 3.99

LibHal is a bit difficult to find but is out there I'm sorry I cant remember what OpenSuse uses to interface with USB but not Hal (Oh ya libusb ver. 1.0.9)

Gabrielle D. Profenno wrote:

Hi all

I had the same X11 issue with OpenSuse 12.2 until I installed
proprietary drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 5450 card in my system.

As for the LibTiff OpenSuse 12.2 is using libtiff so.5 or ver.
4.0.2-1.9.1 Older versions of OpenSuse 12.0 and 12.1 use version

LibHal is a bit difficult to find but is out there I'm sorry I cant
remember what OpenSuse uses to interface with USB but not Hal (Oh ya
libusb ver. 1.0.9)

I am already running the latest release level NVidia drivers.

Andrew wrote:

Hi all

I had the same X11 issue with OpenSuse 12.2 until I installed
proprietary drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 5450 card in my system.

As for the LibTiff OpenSuse 12.2 is using libtiff so.5 or ver.
4.0.2-1.9.1 Older versions of OpenSuse 12.0 and 12.1 use version

LibHal is a bit difficult to find but is out there I'm sorry I
cant
remember what OpenSuse uses to interface with USB but not Hal (Oh
ya
libusb ver. 1.0.9)

I am already running the latest release level NVidia drivers.

OK so you are using proprietary nvidia drivers have you tried downgrading to the new version of the Nouveaul drivers that ship with OpenSuse some times proprietary driver aren't the best either. I change my card from nvidia to ati because of having so much trouble with virtualbox. any way you could try (lib_nouveaul and xf86-vidio-nv and xorgx11-driver-vidio-nouveaul) x86 or x64 depending on your system I here they are greatly improved. I also doubt Libtiff is the problem as all versions of CrossOver going back to ver 10 have always complained about OpenSuse's libtiff.

In CrossOver 12 we have begun shipping our own libxcb. We needed to do this because of problems with multi-threading with most (if not all) commonly available libxcb versions in the wild. I suspect that on some systems, our libxcb breaks and nothing can load with it. (We encounter this problem now where we did not used to because recently wine began talking to X from multiple threads, whereas it used to lock in 1.4 and earlier. This new behavior unearths problems in libxcb.)

Until we nail down what is broken about our libxcb, something to try is this:

1.) try to run something, anything, which will access X (other than crossover) with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to .../cxoffice/lib. If this fails, it is likely our libxcb. Using, for example, xclock, you could try lsof | grep xclock | grep xcb to ensure it is using our libxcb and not the system one. Note: you may need to get a 32 bit xclock (or other test app of your choice) to get a valid test this way.

2.) If our libxcb is what is breaking for you, you can try simply moving our cxoffice/lib/libxcb* out of the way. (into another dir, or delete them for later re-install, or just rename, however you like), and then try running your app.

The problem with solution #2 is that your system libxcb is likely to exhibit the problem for which we discovered we had no choice but to ship our own. Some apps will crash, and it can be random and unpredictable. Not everything will suffer, though, so it may be that you can get some mileage out of just moving our libxcb out of the way until we find a solution.

I can't say for certain that this problem is what is hitting everyone on this thread, but it may be worth a try.

We're struggling to keep abreast of what are potentially buggy & widely differing libraries on various distros (and we've submitted upstream patches, of course, but whether they have trickled down everywhere yet is another matter).

Sorry for the bug,

Josh.

Hello,

Try intalling libXdmcp6-32bit package

Regards

I have two systems one AMD with Ati graphics X64 and one all Intel x86 OpenSuse 12.2 on each Cross Over seams to be working well I ran your test (lsof | grep xclock | grep xcb) from terminal and it just exits otherwise xclock runs with Suse xcb

Carlos Rafael Ramirez wrote:

Hello,

Regards

It is already installed on both of my systems

Carlos Rafael Ramirez wrote:

Hello,

Regards

It is already installed on both of my systems

Yeah, I'm stuck with this problem as well.
I've installed libXdmcp6-32bit with no love.
System is 64-bit openSuse 12.2 running on an IBM T61 Thinkpad.
Godspeed to your bug hunters.

To day I fund answers to /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag missing lib,s that are installed but different version. Here is an example code from terminal use su or sudo (ln -s /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.28.9.0 /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.26) no quotes replace first lib with the one in your system and second one with missing crossover one.

See the ticket I mentioned above for the resolution that support offered me to this problem. It is working for me now.

Andrew wrote:

See the ticket I mentioned above for the resolution that support
offered me to this problem. It is working for me now.

Renaming libxcb corrected the issue as described in the support request from Andrew. What's different about libxcb in Crossover 12 vs previous versions? This sounds like a major bug. There are pretty much only two business Linux desktops, and for a product that claims it's for "Professionals", to not work on SUSE is a huge downfall. I'm only aware of Red Hat Enterprise Desktop as the only other business-targeted Linux distribution. Releases like Ubuntu and CentOS aren't something that a real business would use in production where they expect to get support from vendors.

OK so you are using proprietary nvidia drivers have you tried
downgrading to the new version of the Nouveaul drivers that ship
with OpenSuse some times proprietary driver aren't the best either.
I change my card from nvidia to ati because of having so much
trouble with virtualbox. any way you could try (lib_nouveaul and
xf86-vidio-nv and xorgx11-driver-vidio-nouveaul) x86 or x64
depending on your system I here they are greatly improved. I also
doubt Libtiff is the problem as all versions of CrossOver going back
to ver 10 have always complained about OpenSuse's libtiff.

As far as the graphics drivers, SLED 11 ships with the non-OSS drivers from ATI or Nvidia. I am using an Nvidia card. Who in the heck would EVER suggest to switch to using Nouveau? That's a NASTY, HORRIBLE idea. Not only are they luckily not available in SLED or SLES, even if they were, I wouldn't use them. I installed OpenSUSE on the same PC (Sun Ultra 24) once. X locked up 9 times over the course of a business day. It was horrendous. Sun Ultra 24 is a machine that ships with UNIX and isn't even certified for Windows.

Glad it worked for you. I do have to say that your assumptions on who is using which distros are not strictly correct.

I am using opensuse 12.1 on my work computer, and have for a long time.

I am however the only one of my current co-workers who does, the others all use ubuntu with unity, gnome3, or KDE.

Other friends using linux at work are running fedora or centos.

All of those users are developers... Not your average end user, but none of us use SLED or RH...

And I read that they are using their own version of the lib to allow it to be re-entrant. The stock one is not. Using the stock one may cause us unexpected crashes and other issues.

This is a temporary work around until they get a permanent fix for us.

Renaming libxcb as described in Andrew's ticket worked for me as well.
Thanks for the quick fix Crossover!

Hay glad renaming libxcb worked. I'm the one who suggested the nouveu driver sorry din,t mean to offend it has worked for me in the past when Nvidia or ATI drivers where lacking and creating X11 problems with CrossOver and or VirtualBox I too prefer the proprietary ones. I have been using OpenSuse to run my business from Sues 10.0 in 2005 with CrossOver 6.0.

Hope every one saw my earlier post about creating simlinks for libtiff and libgnutls it fixes the missing dependencies when you run /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag

I'm also having this problem in openSUSE 12.2 using the proprietary NVidia driver. Seeing as CrossOver always worked before, I checked the libs and clearly solution 2 is the one I need... however, I have no idea where that directory is.

Roger Luedecke wrote:

I'm also having this problem in openSUSE 12.2 using the proprietary
NVidia driver. Seeing as CrossOver always worked before, I checked
the libs and clearly solution 2 is the one I need... however, I have
no idea where that directory is.

the ones you need to rename/move/other are here:

/opt/cxoffice/lib/

Hi all

If you are an OpenSuse user 12.2 open yast and check to see if you have (libXdmcp6-32bit) installed if not ad it and it should fix the X11 issue.Also if (/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag) is reporting missing libtiff.so.4 and libgnutls.so.26 the fix is open a terminal

Code for 12.2 x86 and x86-64 sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.28.9.0 /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.26

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4   

it also may work for 12.1 change libtiff.so.5 to libtiff.so.3 to verify your version open dolphin (view - Location Bar - Editable Location) type in /usr/lib/ then scroll down untill you see witch version of libtiff and libgnutls you have. The first lib's in the above code need to be the ones from your system the second set of lib's are the ones that are being used by crossover do not change.

Hello Kevin,
can you tell me if you still have the ULTRA 24 machine? I need to ask your help!

1 to 20 of 20

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOGVyQlNmcFR2MlJldlBlTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9