CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can we create FAQs for OpenSuse Crossover Installs?

The last version that ran without issues for me was Crossover-Pro 10.

Since then, I've tried Crossover 11, and Crossover 12, but menus didn't appear, and since I didn't have time to troubleshoot why, just reverted to CrossOver Pro 10.

After reading the recent discussion on this forum re CrossOver and OpenSuse 12.x, it occurs to me that there are possible two useful things we can do as users....first, create an FAQ about what needs to be done when installing the latest Crossover on Open Suse 12.2 and 12.3, the current versions of OpenSuse....and second, perhaps we can create custom rpms for installing Crossover on 12.2 and 12.3 that supply the required libraries and other dependencies..

Is this something other OpenSuse users would welcome?

I'm certainly willing to use one of my laptops as a test bed.

Bob.

I agree

I have installed Crossover Linux 12.1.2 on two computers running OpenSuse 12.3 32 bit KDE with no problems. The "Crossover" and "Windows Applications" menus were created and the three applications I wanted; Quicken 2012, Internet Explorer 7, and Firefox 17 all installed and run as expected.

It is possible that the problems running Crossover under OpenSuse may be related to a particular configuration, such as 64 bit with a particular desktop. I suggest that we first determine which configurations are having problems.

I'm willing to help too. It is important to me to be able to run Crossover under OpenSuse.

I'm running openSUSE 12.3 64bit and I too have no problems with menus being created. I think further investigation does indeed need to be done to determine the problems some users are having and where the breakdown is occurring. I have yet to have a menu not be created at any time. I am curious to know if perhaps it is possible that if your user login directory was some legacy information in it that is hanging up the process. I have, from time to time, cleared out many of my old config files to clear out my directories.

I would be more than willing to help in this process as I do think that openSUSE is the best distro out there. :)

This is just a thought.

We do have a FAQ section that I would be happy to add information to supplied by OpenSuse users.

It exists here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq

Adding to that section requires staff privileges for various reasons. But again, I would be more than happy to add any information you would like to be present in that section.

You can email it to me cupcake@codeweavers.com (probably the best option) or you can deliver it by some other means.

Some of the useful OpenSuse information is wrapped in with pieces like the "missing library" pages:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/diag

If it helps I have been a crossover and OpenSuse user from 2005. I have multiple installs of OpenSuse 32bit and 64bit There is rarely any problems with crossover menus when upgrading from one crossover version to an other how ever if you upgrade OpenSuse and keep your .cxoffice folder from the old install of OpenSuse it will almost always brake crossovers menus. In the desktopdata folder is an other folder called cxmenu the items in this folder will break if used on a different system you can hand wright your menu items in OpenSuse if you know how. I would recommend archiving you existing bottles wiping your .cxoffice folder and then restore them after you have upgraded or reinstalled OpenSuse.

OK. I've used a Lenovo T61 laptop with a fresh install of OpenSuse 12.2 64 bit.

I installed the rpm verson of Crossover -12.1.2-1.

CrossOver appears to run normally.

When I installed a Windows program, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, the install appeared to go normally.

The desktop icon for elements 2, however shows up without any of the graphics - just a white box with an question mark in it.

The program appears to run normally.

I added an archived bottle and the icons for those programs all appeared as white boxes.

I used the diagnostic program cxdiag and installed all the missing libraries except libgnutls, which can't be found.

Anyone have an idea why these icons are showing up blank? ( I have sent a support ticket in)

Robert Smits wrote:

OK. I've used a Lenovo T61 laptop with a fresh install of OpenSuse
12.2 64 bit.

I installed the rpm verson of Crossover -12.1.2-1.

CrossOver appears to run normally.

When I installed a Windows program, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, the
install appeared to go normally.

The desktop icon for elements 2, however shows up without any of the
graphics - just a white box with an question mark in it.

The program appears to run normally.

I added an archived bottle and the icons for those programs all
appeared as white boxes.

I used the diagnostic program cxdiag and installed all the missing
libraries except libgnutls, which can't be found.

Anyone have an idea why these icons are showing up blank? ( I have
sent a support ticket in)

Fixed!. Once I'd rebooted, it worked just fine - so it seems adding the missing libraries was what fixed the problem.

Bob

The below are help full in OpenSuse 12.3 x64 and x86 when libraries are reported missing by crossover and you do see them installed in opensuse. There is a mishmash between the versions crossover want's and opensue uses. Any or all of these may be run in a terminal to create sim links between them.
Caution these are for OpenSUSE 12.3 only.
You should also check that libgnutls is installed.Some Windows applications need this library to perform encryption or check online certificates.

ln -s /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.28.9.0 /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.26

ln -s /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.8.0.2 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5.2.0 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4

ln -s /usr/lib/libcapi20.so.2.0.10 /usr/lib/libcapi20.so.3

ln -s /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so.6.0.0 /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so.2

Looks to me like fixing OpenSuse 12.2 and CrossOver 12.1.2 is just adding the missing libraries which we could probably do with creating an OpenSuse 12.2 rpm with just the missing libraries.

We could probably do the same for each version of OpenSuse.

Bob

With OpenSUSE 12.1 12.2 and 12.3 the library’s in OpenSUSE can be used with CrossOver as is just by creating the proper sim links as I described in my last post the links in 12.1 and 12.2 are just to different versions of the lib's. I would have to reinstall those versions of OpenSuse to check the version though. Changing the library's to match CrossOvers needs often breaks OpenSUSE it self. Below is an example of the missing 32 bit lib's from one of my last installs of OpenSUSE 12.3 so of the lib's where installed and di not register with CrossOver due to version mismatch and some did need to be added from yast.
gary@linux-bu76:~> /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibCups]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcups.so.2 library"
"Description"="Needed to print to printers managed by the CUPS system, which is most likely the case. It is strongly recommended for office-type applications."

[MissingLibGlu]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libGLU.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed by some games or CAD applications."

[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

[MissingLibGstapp]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgstapp-0.10.so.0 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and multimedia applications."

[MissingLibGstreamer]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and multimedia applications."

[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibJpeg]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libjpeg.so.62 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that use JPEG images in their user interface. The lack of this library may result in black icons."

[MissingLibMpg123]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libmpg123.so.0 library"
"Description"="Needed by some Windows applications to play MP3 files."

[MissingLibOpenal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libopenal.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides audio support to Windows applications."

[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[MissingLibV4l1]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libv4l1.so.0 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access video devices."

[MissingLibXcomposite]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXcomposite.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed for most CAD-like applications and some games."

[MissingLibXml2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxml2.so.2 library"
"Description"="This library makes it possible for Windows applications read and write XML files."

[MissingLibXslt]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxslt.so.1 library"
"Description"="This library lets Windows applications perform queries and transformations on XML files."

[MissingLibGnutls]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgnutls.so library"
"Description"="This is needed by applications that perform encryption or check online certificates."

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidEN1WFBLN3ZUU1RXbWRGdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9