CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Shocked about crossover 11!

Hello,
I just installed the trial over Crossover 11.2 (I'm still using Crossover 10) on Linux.
and I'm just shocked about this version.

I tried to install some 'supported applications':

• I tried to install "Internet explorer 6". this could not be installed because the "installer exited".
  • then I tried to install "Internet explorer 7", and there he could not even "extract the fonts".
  • I tried to install the dot net 3.5 runtime. And that installed was hanging.

And I also noticed a nice python error from the cxsetup in the background:
File "/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/cxutils.py", line 791, in _internal_load_xdg_dirs
import xdg.BaseDirectory
ImportError: No module named xdg.BaseDirectory

wtf? Is there something which is actually working in this version??

And it continues, I tried to install Crossover explorer.
and installation succeeded, according to crossover! wiiiiii, we have a winner.
but wait..it's not in my list of installed applications, even not after restart of the cxsetup.
Well..failed again...
Thank god I could install (well, crossover did it himself during a IE installation) at least 1 application, being msls31.

From one user to another, no Crossover 11 is not that horrible. In fact, I'm running things from MS Office to Skyrim and Starcraft 2 with most software running perfectly. I even installed IE6 just to see if I could do it on my system, and it went fine. I'm thinking that since you have python errors, that might be exactly the problem.

First, you'll need to specify your distro and its version, as that might help to know what's going on. Without knowing the distro and the version (like Ubuntu 12.04 for example), it is very hard to know what is going on.

Second, are you sure your current OS version has the needed system requirements? You'll find the requirements listed here: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/faq/requirements/. For instance, if you have seen python errors, do you have python >= 2.4 and python-gtk2 >= 2.10?

If Crossover is running on my ArchLinux box, which is very DIY, I can't imagine it can't be made to run well on your system.

Hello,

It's a debian sid box, simple 32 bit, and all 'pre-requisites' are OK.
And it was / is working fine with crossover 10.x

To be honest, for commercial software, which crossover is, I don't want to check / trace everything myself. If I needed to do that, I would use wine, isn't it?
Installing python-xdg solved the python error, but had nothing to do with problem as it didn't solve the problem.

Yeah, but even under Windows, sometimes things are related to something specific for your system, and things need to be firgured out, commercial or not. In other words, I understand your point, but I'm not entirely onboard.

I'm sure that the staff will come by and try to get you running, as I have found them to be very helpfull. Thing is though, Sid "is subject to massive changes and in-place library updates" (http://www.debian.org/releases/sid/index.en.html). So your "simple" Sid, might be more complex than one would think.

If you run distro like Debian Sid, or ArchLinux for that matter, you're a little more on your own. It actually is stated that Arch, among others, is not supported right on the requirement page. You're not that far away from Arch if you run Sid from what I know about Sid.

Mind you, this afternoon (probably late afternoon) I'll try things out in a VM and see if things go well. I'll let you know the results.

Let's start with each item one at a time.

It sounds like several installs failed, if it were just one I would assume a bad download of an application and have you remove the installer cache to give CrossOver a fresh start.

In this case I'd like to see the output of
/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
or if you used the bin installer
~/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
It would be helpful to know which installer you used. I assume that because you mentioned that you're still using CrossOver 10 that you are either using a new user account for the CrossOver 11.2 install or that at least one of the two was installed with our bin installer (or that CrossOver 10 is being used on a different system).

Next, you mentioned a lack of menu items. Which window manager are you using? Some are more prone to problems than others and the path to amend the problem will greatly depend on which one is in use.

I'll wait for a response before I suggest anything else.

Caron Wills wrote:

Let's start with each item one at a time.

It sounds like several installs failed, if it were just one I would
assume a bad download of an application and have you remove the
installer cache to give CrossOver a fresh start.

after the failures, I already created new bottles, to ensure that the bottle itself wasn't a problem.

Caron Wills wrote:

In this case I'd like to see the output of

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[OpenglNotWorking]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="OpenGL does not work"
"Description"="OpenGL did not work in our simple tests. This means OpenGL and DirectX applications, including most games, will likely not work. Other applications should be unaffected."

[OpenglNotWorking]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Description"="OpenGL did not work in our simple tests. This means OpenGL and DirectX applications, including most games, will likely not work. Other applications should be unaffected."

Caron Wills wrote:

It would be helpful to know which installer you used. I assume that
because you mentioned that you're still using CrossOver 10 that you
are either using a new user account for the CrossOver 11.2 install
or that at least one of the two was installed with our bin installer
(or that CrossOver 10 is being used on a different system).

I used the debian .deb package, 32 bit
The 10.x installation isn't active on the system anymore, I needed to remove it just before the crossover 11 installation. (trial)

Caron Wills wrote:

Next, you mentioned a lack of menu items. Which window manager are
you using? Some are more prone to problems than others and the path
to amend the problem will greatly depend on which one is in use.

no, not the lack of menu items. After installing the "crossover explorer", which was according to cxsetup successful, it was not visible in the list of applications IN CXSETUP itself.
Always reproducable (for "crossover explorer" only!)

ps1: the debug logfile during IE6 & IE7 was just empty
ps2: for Crossover 11, I used another id/profile on linux, so the .cxoffice directory didn't exist yet. So for crossover it's a new installation.

Note that I adjusted your response to fix the quoting format only for readability.

I think it would be best if this went into a Support Ticket or an email to info@codeweavers.com. But let's not do that empty handed.

Can you take a log file of the start-up of CrossOver and the attempted installation of something that fails?
CX_LOG=~/Desktop/cx11_2trouble.log CX_DEBUGMSG=+seh,+tid,+relay /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxinstaller
you can tar it if the file becomes too large

In that email please also include the output of:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag --debug

AND, please explicitly state that you are using Debian Sid 32bit. When you do this, please also let us know which window manager you are using.

Finally, the "CrossOver HTML engine" is CrossOver Explorer and when you run iexplore.exe in that bottle you should be presented with a window titled "Wine Internet Explorer".

Thank you for opening Ticket 897093 but unfortunately you did not append the requested log file, cxdiag output or the requested operating system information. This means that our Support Team does not know what to do with your ticket and it is in danger of being closed. At my request the ticket has been left open for you to append the information to.

It is very difficult to help you or ask our Support Team to help you if you do not provide the requested information.

after the failures, I already created new bottles, to ensure that
the bottle itself wasn't a problem.

One thing I have been noticing recently is that older installations (as opposed to brand new distro installation) have more problems. For some reason, the older the install, the more stuff that seems to go wrong. For another thing, dependencies can vary from one cx version to another, as they work to accommodate new Linux os features.

When you have other folks not having problems, and things are running as expected with them, then the first place you should look is at your own box. Yes 10 was working but 10 does not equal 11. There's a whole lot of programs that are working extremely well, and others better than ever before on 11; speaking as a tester that is.

Also, the next time you are asking for support on the forum, it would be a good idea to reference the ticket number that you posted so that the staff can consolidate info in both areas into the ticket, which helps overall support.

For completeness, this issue has been resolved. The trouble is that many Windows installers expect to find some sort of rendering ability. The clue that this was not present is:

[OpenglNotWorking]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Description"="OpenGL did not work in our simple tests.
This means OpenGL and DirectX applications, including most games,
will likely not work. Other applications should be unaffected."

Unfortunately our description with the message is not clear enough, we will amend that for future releases.

The problem could be solved by either enabling GLX or by issuing the following command via terminal:
touch ~/cxoffice/lib/libGL.so.1

Of course if the state of the system was bad enough that no windows could be properly rendered by CrossOver 11, simply "touching" the file would not be enough to fix the problem.

Xaphir wrote:

One thing I have been noticing recently is that older installations
(as opposed to brand new distro installation) have more problems.
For some reason, the older the install, the more stuff that seems to
go wrong. For another thing, dependencies can vary from one cx
version to another, as they work to accommodate new Linux os
features.

When you have other folks not having problems, and things are
running as expected with them, then the first place you should look
is at your own box. Yes 10 was working but 10 does not equal 11.
There's a whole lot of programs that are working extremely well, and
others better than ever before on 11; speaking as a tester that is.

Also, the next time you are asking for support on the forum, it
would be a good idea to reference the ticket number that you posted
so that the staff can consolidate info in both areas into the
ticket, which helps overall support.

1) this is a "newer" installation
2) it worked on Crossover 10, and not on Crossover 11.
The prerequisites between 10 & 11 are the same.
So in theory this means that if crossover 10 works, crossover 11 should work also.
But if the prerequisites aren't correct....

Also, you can ask yourself, why for example crossover gave erros about the missing python-xdg.
this is also not part of the prerequisites. But more over, why didn't crossover alerted on that?
I saw that one, as I of course know how to work with linux & other stuff.
But do you expect a normal user to know that, and start cxsetup in the 'console' in order to see this message?
No! crossover should be made for 'normal' users. The experts will use wine anyway.

3) I looked at the "own box", and it completely fullfilled the requirements.
4) regarding the "asking for support":
a) I opened a thread in this forum, as this is part of the 'support' section on the website.
b) AFTER I opened this thread, I also received a mail from codeweavers, regarding the trail, that I could mail to trial@xxx.com if I encountered problems.
I replied to that mail, pointing to this thread.
c) A couple of hours later I got a response on this thread, asking to send some logfiles to info@***.com or to open a ticket.
I sent the email, with ALL information.
d) a couple of hours later, this thread was updated by codeweavers, saying that they didn't got the information, as they based themself on the mail from B) ...
then it was asked to upload the attachments on the ticket...wtf..why proposing then to send an email if we need to do it in the ticket anyway?
PS: after sending the mail, there was also no pointer to a ticket number. So how can you expect for a user to find out which ticket was created?

So in theory this means that if crossover 10 works, crossover 11
should work also.

Also, you can ask yourself, why for example crossover gave erros
about the missing python-xdg.
this is also not part of the prerequisites. But more over, why
didn't crossover alerted on that?
I saw that one, as I of course know how to work with linux &
other stuff.
But do you expect a normal user to know that, and start cxsetup
in the 'console' in order to see this message?
No! crossover should be made for 'normal' users. The experts will
use wine anyway.

3) I looked at the "own box", and it completely fullfilled the
requirements.
a) I opened a thread in this forum, as this is part of the
'support' section on the website.
b) AFTER I opened this thread, I also received a mail from
codeweavers, regarding the trail, that I could mail to trial@xxx.com
if I encountered problems.

That's fine; but the person reading the email was not the person trying to help you on the forums. There's more than one person in the support system. You would'nt call AT&T, give them the ein of your cell for a support issue, and then write to the AT&T forums expecting the forum staff to know your ein; without a helpdesk reference number, or an alert you called the AT&T helpdesk. Know what I mean? That also happens to work in reverse. So thus my suggestion that you be proactive and just happen to mention that you filed a ticket, plus the ticket number.

c) A couple of hours later I got a response on this thread,

asking to send some logfiles to info@***.com or to open a ticket.
d) a couple of hours later, this thread was updated by
codeweavers, saying that they didn't got the information, as they
based themself on the mail from B) ...
then it was asked to upload the attachments on the
ticket...wtf..why proposing then to send an email if we need to do
it in the ticket anyway?
PS: after sending the mail, there was also no pointer to a
ticket number. So how can you expect for a user to find out which
ticket was created?

Not sure what you're saying. You expect everyone in the system to know everything about both your forum post and your email and your ticket simultaneosly, and you don't know what your ticket number is yourself?

Xaphir wrote:

Not sure what you're saying. You expect everyone in the system to
simultaneously know everything about both your forum post and your
email and your ticket simultaneously, and you don't know what your
ticket number is yourself?

IF YOU SEND AN EMAIL, AS ASKED BY CODEWEAVERS, YOU DO NOT GET A TICKET NUMBER.
ONLY CODEWEAVERS HAS THAT.
IF THEY ASK TO SEND AN EMAIL, THEN YOU SHOULD EXPECT THAT THEY DO THE FOLLOW UP, AS THE USER CANNOT AS HE DID NOT RECEIVE A TICKET NUMMER.

now you can explain me how a user can do that??? Especially if the user did exactly what the company asked.

"
That's fine; but the person reading the email was not the person trying to help you on the forums. There's more than one person in the support system. "

As user I don't care! As user I'm not interested on how the internal flow works.
And as user, I already linked the 2 issues, by putting the link of this thread in the e-mail.

IF YOU SEND AN EMAIL, AS ASKED BY CODEWEAVERS, YOU DO NOT GET
A TICKET NUMBER. ONLY CODEWEAVERS HAS THAT

Nope, I call bravo sierra on that. I've never had trouble tracking my own ticket numbers.

As user I don't care! As user I'm not interested on how the internal
flow works.
And as user, I already linked the 2 issues, by putting the link of
this thread in the e-mail.

Not on this forum, tho; but that's the last time I'll rehash the history. And the tone of your forum posts has frankly been over the top and rather annoying, to be honest. If you're this upset over it, then you're probably in the wrong place to start with. Go back to vanilla wine and don't worry about the demo you haven't paid for.

I just want to say that as soon as I saw the staff manage this, I butted out. The problem seemed complicated enough that I prefered to let the staff handle it. Nonetheless, I do have some comments.

Mr Bart, I'm sure you're aware that there is an entire community around Crossover called advocates, and not just the Staff. Maybe I should have suggested to open the ticket right away, and if so, you have my apologies. Perhaps things would have went better if I had pointed you to the ticket system...

Anyway, I am in a limited agreement with your point about the "normal user", but then, would you really try to tell us that the "normal user" would use Sid? If you're using Sid, I would think you would already know there's a high risk that your system would present a number of challenges which a "normal user" would not be confronted to.

I've have had, in the past, a few problem with missing libraries and strange config details on my Arch box. But, because of my choice in distros, I did not blame Crossover for not working. I certainly didn't think that Crossover didn't meet the "nomral user" criteria. I thought my distro did not meet the "normal user" criteria, and had to work from there. Commenting on Crossover with the "normal user" thing while using Sid, that's close to comedy. The "normal user" uses Ubuntu, Mint, Suse, or maybe Mageai, but certainly not Sid.

Furthermore, it is to be expected that some errors in communications can happen in any oragnisation. Your attitude on the matter of communications appears to be intransigent. Over all, I seriously doubt Codeweavers can be blamed with bad service. Even on product you didn't pay (CX11), they tried to help.

To all, have a nice day! ;)

[i]Nope, I call bravo sierra on that. I've never had trouble
tracking my own ticket numbers.[/i]

If you know that a ticket was created, I did know that. I just sent a mail.
Tell me where it's written that a ticket is being opened if you send an email.

[i]Go back to vanilla wine and don't worry about the demo you
haven't paid for.[/i]

You should know that I'm (was) a paying user, and I did not renew yet cause I first want to have crossover 11 working, before I pay for it.
So again an incorrect statement.

"Anyway, I am in a limited agreement with your point about the "normal user", but then, would you really try to tell us that the "normal user" would use Sid? If you're using Sid, I would think you would already know there's a high risk that your system would present a number of challenges which a "normal user" would not be confronted to. "

I agree, BUT. The discussions, nor the actual problem, had anything to do with 'sid', or system A / system B.
As any user with any system can have this problem. (see comment from Codeweavers)

[i]Over all, I seriously doubt Codeweavers can be blamed with bad
service. [/i]

Check the comments above, I never blamed codeweavers about bad service.
You should know that just because of the good support, I bought Crossover before. I even sent them an email with compliments regarding that last year.(!!)
I gave my remarks/reply to "Xaphir", and not codeweavers. who actually said that I' didn't follow the correct process, and that problems were caused by 'my* old install'.
And THEREFORE all my remarks.

Point taken. I didn't perceive the discussion in that light, as I did not really perceive any truly accusatory tone from Xaphir's first post. The rest was definitly more confrontational between you both. I'm not placing blame, just stating my perception, nothing more.

Still, I'm not convinced that OpenGL would not work out of the box on Ubuntu, more so than Sid. Ubuntu, as an example, offers many things like proprietary drivers (which allows OpenGl acceleration) and plugins automatically, just so the user doesn't have to think about such things. Does Sid really offer such automation? In light of which, I doubt that OpenGl would have ever been a problem with more newby friendly distros, like Ubuntu. So, I'm not so sure that any user would have been confronted with that particular problem. Mind you, I never used Sid, so I admit that you might be entirely right about the common nature of the problem.

In any case, I only hope I did not add to any frustration/unpleasantry which you might have experienced.

Schelstraete Bart wrote:

So in theory this means that if crossover 10 works, crossover 11
should work also.

Listen, Debian Testing is not meant for production. It may be a newer install but in the same respect it is a moving target. I don't know why CrossOver 11 would not work where CrossOver 10 would work. I've set up a Sid box and I've not seen the problems you've experienced. I would like to reproduce the problem so that we can try to fix it, but without the problem occurring here it is really hard to diagnose. The prerequisites have not changed between the versions. However, quite a bit of Wine has changed. I can keep keep asking diagnostic questions (does straight wine-1.4 work for you? does wine-1.5 work? did you do an update on your system between CrossOver 10's uninstall and CrossOver 11's install?). I would like to know why one version would work on your system and another wouldn't (especially when an older version works but a newer does not... usually it is the opposite problem).

Schelstraete Bart wrote:

Also, you can ask yourself, why for example crossover gave erros
about the missing python-xdg.
this is also not part of the prerequisites. But more over, why
didn't crossover alerted on that?
I saw that one, as I of course know how to work with linux &
other stuff.
But do you expect a normal user to know that, and start cxsetup
in the 'console' in order to see this message?
No! crossover should be made for 'normal' users. The experts will
use wine anyway.

Okay, to the first part of this... python-xdg is not required. Not having it can mean some trouble but CrossOver can and does run without python-xdg. And, installing it did not resolve the issue you reported.

On to the second part of this... CrossOver is made for "normal" users... but I just don't see a "normal" user fighting through Debian Sid (or Arch or Gentoo). I see most of our normal users starting out with something like Ubuntu or Mint and then moving along as they become more familiar. I have not had or seen this problem with Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint or even Debian. Maybe it sounds crazy but I WANT to see this problem. I believe it happened to you and if I could make it happen here I might be able to diagnose it a bit and keep it from happening to someone else. Unfortunately you are the first person this has happened to (and I hope the last person it happens to... but I'd rather be sure of that).

Schelstraete Bart wrote:

3) I looked at the "own box", and it completely fullfilled the
requirements.
a) I opened a thread in this forum, as this is part of the
'support' section on the website.
b) AFTER I opened this thread, I also received a mail from
codeweavers, regarding the trail, that I could mail to trial@xxx.com
if I encountered problems.
c) A couple of hours later I got a response on this thread,
asking to send some logfiles to info@***.com or to open a ticket.
d) a couple of hours later, this thread was updated by
codeweavers, saying that they didn't got the information, as they
based themself on the mail from B) ...
then it was asked to upload the attachments on the
ticket...wtf..why proposing then to send an email if we need to do
it in the ticket anyway?
PS: after sending the mail, there was also no pointer to a
ticket number. So how can you expect for a user to find out which
ticket was created?

Now this is where you have my sincerest apologies. Yes, I asked you to send an email or open a Support Ticket (which actually do the exact same thing but how would someone outside of CodeWeavers know that?). I had no prior knowledge that you had already sent an email message. I am the one who alerted our Support Team to look for a ticket (email) from you and I asked them to let me know if they needed more. They saw your initial email and thought that it was what I wanted. They sent me the ticket number, I took a look and there was nothing attached to it save a link to this post. This is where I dropped the ball. I did not look to see if there was a second email and I am quite sorry for that. Yes, I would have liked it more had you said you'd sent an email in the initial thread but you are right, how could you know how many people we have handling our forums versus our emails (and why would you care? I get it, by the time I've explained my problem twice to anyone I'm at a point where I do not care, I just want a resolution). Again, I am very sorry that I did not check for an additional email (ticket).

Since then, I have merged the two messages together just to alleviate some of the confusion. Remember on our side an email and a ticket are the same thing. When we communicate back the ticket number is printed at the very bottom of every message (but again, how could you know this? So quickly I forget what it's like to be looking from the other side). That is why I both placed the ticket number in the forums and responded to it... I just wanted to give you a place holder either way for getting the information to us (not knowing that it was already attached to the other ticket). My apologies for the confusion. Had I looked for the other ticket I could have put the two together right away.

I'm really, really glad you got to the bottom of the issue that was happening on your system. I don't know why CrossOver 10 would work without GLX enabled but CrossOver 11 would not. To me it's quite the mystery (but will prompt for more testing on my end). I am sorry for the confusion.
[i]
Also, on the chance that you have a response for me... I'm twenty minutes from vacation. I won't be in for more than a week and when I get back I'll be swamped. I don't want you to think I suddenly forgot this thread.[/i]
how did I forget the word forgot?

stop focusing on SID.
It is reproducable on other systems, it has nothing to do with Debian SID.

Now this is where you have my sincerest apologies.

No need for that! I don't have a big problem with that. as said, my comments were as a remark on the comment that "I opened the tickets incorrectly". As said before, I'm really happy about the support from codeweavers, other companies should follow this example. (and that's for me the most important for buying a license)

for me, this issue is solved, but maybe think about showing an alert about that for users.
I mean, I could figure that our by running cxdiag, opening a ticket, etc, while it 's maybe more user friendly to run that 'cxdiag' in the frontend. (for example a button "check prerequisites" when an application fails to install), so that a normal user shouldn't use command line.

ps: regarding the remark again "you have a demo version". I want to let you know that I extended my license for Crossover XI today.

Schelstraete Bart wrote:

stop focusing on SID.
It is reproducable on other systems, it has nothing to do with
Debian SID.

What systems have you reproduced it on?

1 to 21 of 21

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV0tIU0FuMk0zOE5wUVN4YiIsImdkcHIiOjB9