CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I cannot get Microsoft Office Professional 2010, 64-bit to work on your trial software.

I have had the same issue as well with winehq and playonlinux as the program will simply not complete the load. I have managed to get a manual boot through an exe load on wine, and have entered the password only to bottom out. Is there any advice anyone can give, I'm sure there is a way to get this program to function and operate. Thanks.

...crossover, the wine builds provided with PoL and those
wine builds provided by others are for running 32bit windows
apps -- you would need build and/or install a 64bit version
of wine to run 64bit windows apps (but I've no idea how far
along the 64bit wine build is currently)...

"." is correct, Wine used by Playonlinux or Crossover is exclusively 32 bit. Support for 64bit in Wine remains experimental to this day.

If you have Arch Linux 64 bit, the Wine version you get from the repos is already patched for 64 bit. Of course, Arch might not be your preferred distro. My point is the if Arch offers it, there must be other distros out there that offer the 64bit version of Wine. Mayby even your current distro has a 64bit wine, but it will have a specific name.

If you want to build yourself, I believe the proper info is here:

http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64

Even with a 64bit Wine, you must specify the use when installating with something like "WINEARCH=win64 wine setup.exe". If you want a seperate installation "sort of like bottles" don't forget "WINEPREFIX=somename" too. Also, if you want to install 32bit software, the command then becomes "WINEARCH=win32".

Although I have Arch and Wine in 64 bit, I have yet to try any 64bit software (which I don't have), so I can't really tell you the state of it.

ScottyBe wrote:

I have had the same issue as well with winehq and playonlinux as the
program will simply not complete the load. I have managed to get a
manual boot through an exe load on wine, and have entered the
password only to bottom out. Is there any advice anyone can give,
I'm sure there is a way to get this program to function and operate.
Thanks.

I don't know if you know but most of the Office 2010 installers include both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. One would just need dig around on the installer disc a bit to find the 32bit version.

Is there a reason you need the 64-bit version?

Caron Wills wrote:

ScottyBe wrote:

I have had the same issue as well with winehq and
playonlinux as the program will simply not complete the load. I
have
managed to get a manual boot through an exe load on wine, and have
entered the password only to bottom out. Is there any advice
anyone
can give, I'm sure there is a way to get this program to function
and operate. Thanks.

I don't know if you know but most of the Office 2010 installers
include both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. One would just need
dig around on the installer disc a bit to find the 32bit version.

Is there a reason you need the 64-bit version?

I must apologize as I am a newbie to this, I think Microsoft does an excellent "brain-washing" job of telling people that only 64-bit compatiable software should work with 64-bit OS. I am going to try this one though. Thanks to you and everyone else for all the informative information, I need to learn more on.

Just one point the remind you of...

While using 32bit software on 64bit Linux OS, you will need 32bit librairies on top of what you have. Supposing you're using ubuntu, many librairies are found in the ia32-libs package. The names might differ on various distros, like most Arch 32 bit librairies have names like lib32-somelibrairie.

So if Crossover mentions a missing librairy, take note that it is referring to the 32bit version. Installing the 64bit librairy is no help at all on it's own.

And don't apologize for not knowing something, we have all been there. You might meet some arrogant Linux zealot on other forums, but I have yet to meet one here. So ask away if you have questions.

J-P Simard wrote:

Just one point the remind you of...

While using 32bit software on 64bit Linux OS, you will need 32bit
librairies on top of what you have. Supposing you're using ubuntu,
many librairies are found in the ia32-libs package. The names might
differ on various distros, like most Arch 32 bit librairies have
names like lib32-somelibrairie.

So if Crossover mentions a missing librairy, take note that it is
referring to the 32bit version. Installing the 64bit librairy is no
help at all on it's own.

And don't apologize for not knowing something, we have all been
there. You might meet some arrogant Linux zealot on other forums,
but I have yet to meet one here. So ask away if you have questions.

Thank you so much. I managed to get the 32 bit Microsoft Office to work, and also decided to join in. Glad to be among professionals looking to help one another.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNDNtUHdyUnV2bnNZUEZDeiIsImdkcHIiOjB9