CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover in opensuse 12.3

Hello,

If you just have upgraded to opensuse 12.3 maybe CrossOver won't run complaining about python is not installed. The problem is a missing symbol in the Cairo Library version 1.12.8 "pixman_glyph_cache_lookup".

For now the only way I found to fix the problem is to downgrad this library and all its dependencies to the 1.12.2-2.1.2 version.

Procedure With Yast or zypper:

• Add again the opensuse 12.2 OSS repository.
  • Install libcairo2 package version 1.12.2-2.1.2 provided in the opensuse 12.2 repository
  • It will complain about downgrade dependencies, do it as well are about 4 dependencies

After installing the packages CrossOver will run again.

Remember to delete the repository to avoid conflics.

Regards,
Carlos

Was this an update of an installed system or a fresh install?

I did an update from 12.2 x64 -> 12.3 and have no problems. (That I know of, I don't use a lot of windows programs, just outlook daily)

I have the following cairo rpms:

$ rpm -qa | grep cairo
libcairomm-1_0-1-1.10.0-9.1.1.x86_64
libcairo2-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64
python3-gobject-cairo-3.4.2-2.1.1.x86_64
libcairo-script-interpreter2-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64
cairo-devel-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64
python-gobject-cairo-3.4.2-2.1.1.x86_64
python-cairo-1.10.0-9.1.1.x86_64
libcairo2-32bit-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64
libcairo-gobject2-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64

And

% rpm -qa | grep cross
crossover-12.1.2-1.i386

But I didn't try and install crossover onto 12.3. (It was already on my machine.)

Can you post the version of python that crossover needs use code /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag from terminel it my be a sim link issue I can give you the exact code if I know what is missing also look in /usr/lib to see witch python you have installed and post it.

Just to let you and every one out there I reported a number of sim link problems with CrossOver 12.1.2 and OpenSuse 12.3 anI got this.

-----Hello,

Unfortunately we no longer support Crossover 12.x on Opensuse 12.x because of all the missing libraries in the distro and other issues like you're seeing. We gave up after Crossover 11.3 because trying to keep Crossover installing and running correctly on OpenSuse was like playing whack-a-mole and as soon as we would fix for one missing library another would disappear, be moved, or renamed.

Thanks,
Andrew Balfour

On 2013-03-14 at 19:09, Gary Profenno wrote:

CodeWeavers Ticket System wrote:

CX Version: 12.1.2
Application: CrossOver
Operating System: OpenSuse 12.3 (32-bit)

Clean install of CrossOver on fresh install of OpenSuse 12.3 32 bit No
start menu is being created. I had to build it by hand.Also as a note
crossover dose not create sim links to libtiff.so.5 or
libgphoto2.so.6.0.0 and libjpeg.so.8.0.2 These too must be created by
hand.

I made an upgrade and my libraries were the versions you wrote. The problem is with CrossOver itself not with Windows applications, also I use the "bin" version not the rpm one.

Andrew wrote:

Was this an update of an installed system or a fresh install?

I did an update from 12.2 x64 -> 12.3 and have no problems. (That I
know of, I don't use a lot of windows programs, just outlook daily)

I have the following cairo rpms:

$ rpm -qa | grep cairo
libcairomm-1_0-1-1.10.0-9.1.1.x86_64
libcairo2-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64
python3-gobject-cairo-3.4.2-2.1.1.x86_64
libcairo-script-interpreter2-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64
cairo-devel-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64
python-gobject-cairo-3.4.2-2.1.1.x86_64
python-cairo-1.10.0-9.1.1.x86_64
libcairo2-32bit-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64
libcairo-gobject2-1.12.8-2.1.1.x86_64

And

% rpm -qa | grep cross
crossover-12.1.2-1.i386

But I didn't try and install crossover onto 12.3. (It was already
on my machine.)

Yes I received the same message this is why I am posting here to help everyone as me that cannot move from opensuse right now.

No cxdiag doesn't talk about python version. My original error was:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/smartmatic/cxoffice/lib/python/checkgtk.py", line 90, in ensure_present_gtk
    popen = subprocess.Popen([candidate, __file__])
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1249, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Then I modified checkgtk.py to see what was the real error to (line 49):

def status():
    import warnings
    warnings.filterwarnings("ignore", "", Warning)
    #try:
        #try:
            # pylint: disable-msg=F0401,W0612
    import gtk
    import gtk.glade
        #except ImportError:
 #           return MISSING
  #      except Exception:
   #         traceback.print_exc()
    #        return BROKEN
    #finally:
    #    warnings.resetwarnings()

Then I got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/smartmatic/cxoffice/bin/cxsetup", line 86, in <module>
    if checkgtk.check_gtk() != checkgtk.OK:
  File "/home/smartmatic/cxoffice/lib/python/checkgtk.py", line 101, in check_gtk
    gtk_status = ensure_present_gtk()
  File "/home/smartmatic/cxoffice/lib/python/checkgtk.py", line 86, in ensure_present_gtk
    gtk_status = status()
  File "/home/smartmatic/cxoffice/lib/python/checkgtk.py", line 55, in status
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib64/libcairo.so.2: undefined symbol: pixman_glyph_cache_lookup

Someone posted a bug in RC but was suddenly fixed by an update and nobody talks about it in the release. Then I tried downgrading libcairo and it worked

Gabrielle D. Profenno wrote:

Can you post the version of python that crossover needs use code
/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag from terminel it my be a sim link issue I
can give you the exact code if I know what is missing also look in
/usr/lib to see witch python you have installed and post it.

Just to let you and every one out there I reported a number of sim
link problems with CrossOver 12.1.2 and OpenSuse 12.3 anI got this.

-----Hello,

Unfortunately we no longer support Crossover 12.x on Opensuse 12.x
because of all the missing libraries in the distro and other issues
like you're seeing. We gave up after Crossover 11.3 because trying
to keep Crossover installing and running correctly on OpenSuse was
like playing whack-a-mole and as soon as we would fix for one
missing library another would disappear, be moved, or renamed.

Thanks,
Andrew Balfour

On 2013-03-14 at 19:09, Gary Profenno wrote:

CodeWeavers Ticket System wrote:

CX Version: 12.1.2
Application: CrossOver
Operating System: OpenSuse 12.3 (32-bit)

Clean install of CrossOver on fresh install of OpenSuse 12.3 32
bit No
start menu is being created. I had to build it by hand.Also as a
note
crossover dose not create sim links to libtiff.so.5 or
libgphoto2.so.6.0.0 and libjpeg.so.8.0.2 These too must be created
by
hand.

[code][/code]

I did an upgrade from openSUSE 12.2 to 12.3 using the DVD ISO with very few problems. My biggest problems were not with CrossOver Linux but rather with the Kontact. I listed anything to do with cairo and this is the output (non installed items omitted):

# 
S | Name                                 | Summary                                                               | Type      
--+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------
i | libcairo-gobject2                    | Vector Graphics Library with Cross-Device Output Support              | package   
i | libcairo2                            | Vector Graphics Library with Cross-Device Output Support              | package   
i | libcairo2-32bit                      | Vector Graphics Library with Cross-Device Output Support              | package   
i | libcairomm-1_0-1                     | C++ interface for Cairo                                               | package   
i | perl-Cairo                           | Perl interface to the cairo library                                   | package   
i | python-cairo                         | Python Bindings for Cairo                                             | package   
i | python-gobject-cairo                 | Python bindings for GObject -- Cairo bindings                         | package   

All of these packages are right off the ISO so I am confused as to what the problem is. I will have to try doing a fresh installation in virtual machine to see if I can get this problem.

My only issue I had with CrossOver is that the CrossOver virus scan gives me this error now:
cxavscan: scanner exit code was 0x200

I have to investigate it further.

While we have dropped support for OpenSuse we do care about issues like this.

I have opened a bug in our tracker and asked the appropriate developer to take a look.

And this week... I will strip CrossOver off of my OpenSuse 12.2 machine and upgrade it to 12.3 to see if an obvious problems occur.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Caron Wills wrote:

While we have dropped support for OpenSuse we do care about issues
like this.

I have opened a bug in our tracker and asked the appropriate
developer to take a look.

And this week... I will strip CrossOver off of my OpenSuse 12.2
machine and upgrade it to 12.3 to see if an obvious problems occur.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Hi I loaded two systems over the weekend one I did clean in stall not upgrade but kept home folder intact crossover had a hard time did not create menus and had all of the sim link issues all had to be created by hand. Then I did full clean install on blank hard drives and all went well just needed to add missing 32bit library’s and the create sim links to::
ln -s /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.8.0.2 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5.2.0 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4

ln -s /usr/lib/libcapi20.so.2.0.10 /usr/lib/libcapi20.so.3

ln -s /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so.6.0.0 /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so.2

I would recommend full clean install of OpenSuse due to these issues do not upgrade or install over existing home folder the above sim links will work in OpenSuse 12.3

For what it's worth, I have had no menu problems since my upgrade to 12.3. I did an upgrade installation from DVD. I checked the libraries that you had to link. Here is what my system has in place without any intervention on my part:

libjpeg.so.62 libjpeg.so.62.0.0 libjpeg.so.8 libjpeg.so.8.0.2

libtiff.so.5 libtiff.so.5.2.0 libtiffxx.so.5 libtiffxx.so.5.2.0

libcapi20.so.3 libcapi20.so.3.0.4

libgphoto2_port.so.10 libgphoto2_port.so.10.0.0 libgphoto2.so.6 libgphoto2.so.6.0.0

Unfortunately we no longer support Crossover 12.x on Opensuse 12.x
because of all the missing libraries in the distro and other issues
like you're seeing. We gave up after Crossover 11.3 because trying
to keep Crossover installing and running correctly on OpenSuse was
like playing whack-a-mole and as soon as we would fix for one
missing library another would disappear, be moved, or renamed.

What can members of the community do to help fix this issue?

In my case I had to add the opensuse 12.2 repository and add the missing libraries. Due to the upgrade process deleted the 32bits ones. I think the problems in opensuse are more related to 64bits due to opensuse drop the corresponding 32bits packages from its repositories

Carlos Rafael Ramirez wrote:

In my case I had to add the opensuse 12.2 repository and add the
missing libraries. Due to the upgrade process deleted the 32bits
ones. I think the problems in opensuse are more related to 64bits
due to opensuse drop the corresponding 32bits packages from its
repositories

I guess this is why crossover has dropped its support for opensuse to many inconsistencies have you run /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag from a terminal to double check for missing sim links and library's it seems to be opensuses biggest problem as it is now using newer library’s than crossover is using. In 12.1 and 12.2 opensuse used some library's that where older than cossovers.

Nathan Wolf wrote:

Unfortunately we no longer support Crossover 12.x on Opensuse
12.x because of all the missing libraries in the distro and other
issues like you're seeing. We gave up after Crossover 11.3 because
trying to keep Crossover installing and running correctly on
OpenSuse was like playing whack-a-mole and as soon as we would fix
for one missing library another would disappear, be moved, or
renamed.

What can members of the community do to help fix this issue?

Here's the catch, we care. We really, really do. This issue came across the forums over the weekend and it was the first thing sitting in my inbox this morning.

The moment I saw it, I opened a bug for it. Our developer has already looked at it and is looking it over. He's very busy, I don't expect this to be hot priority, but he already looked because he's that awesome.

It's not that we care any less and it's not that we won't work on OpenSuse. It's that it's not "supported" and therefore not "top" priority any more. This is because our user statistics show that OpenSuse has fallen to an all time low in our user base. Other distributions like Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and Debian round out the big players and we can only cover so much. We have to draw the line somewhere for our development and testing teams to let them know how high of priority work on bugs should be.

The best thing the community can do is to keep bringing issues forward when they see them.

Other than that, if you have turned off CrossOver's ability to gather anonymous usage statistics and you're an OpenSuse user... turn them back on! We do pay attention to that data.

All of this is new to me about no support. I am saddened to hear that openSUSE has such a low priority with the support staff.
My VISA card records show a different priority.

I've been using Crossover and supporting Crossover way back when Codeweavers only produced a small Linux "plugin" for QuickTime.
I purchased another extension last year for another year.

Perhaps Crossover should be provided with each openSUSE distro. Has anyone spoken with them?

Roman Bysh wrote:

Perhaps Crossover should be provided with each openSUSE distro. Has
anyone spoken with them?

Our supported distros are here: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/faq/requirements/

It is not a matter of needing access to various distros in order to test and fix bugs: we can get the distros because they are free. The problem is market share and staff cycles. We just can't keep up with every problem on every distro. Our statistics show that OpenSuse is only around 1% of our market. Given that fact, and the enormous amount of variation between distros out there, we just can't track down and fix every incompatibility. While we can make a good faith effort to get things working, as our requirements page indicates, we don't regularly test on all variants of all distros, and we can't guarantee there won't be bugs.

What is the ratio of crossover Mac to Linux users? I was accidentally subscribed to a forum that the Mac users are on and was constantly deleting Mac support messages.

Andrew wrote:

What is the ratio of crossover Mac to Linux users? I was
accidentally subscribed to a forum that the Mac users are on and was
constantly deleting Mac support messages.

Overall that's around 4 to 1. While a smaller percentage-wise than it used to be, Linux is overall still very large for us, though there is of course variety in distros. We always want more Linux users, but that's close to what we've got now.

Josh DuBois wrote:

Andrew wrote:

What is the ratio of crossover Mac to Linux users? I
was accidentally subscribed to a forum that the Mac users are on
and
was constantly deleting Mac support messages.

Overall that's around 4 to 1. While a smaller percentage-wise than
it used to be, Linux is overall still very large for us, though
there is of course variety in distros. We always want more Linux
users, but that's close to what we've got now.

Makes sense.

Thank you.

Roman Bysh wrote:

My VISA card records show a different priority.

Oh look, my Visa card has also been charged, and I use ArchLinux, an unsupported distro. Funny that I chose to pay, knowing before hand that my distro wasn't supported. Frankly the "unsupported" state of my chosen distro has not affected Crossover's performance over all, and doesn't stop me from being an advocate. I also have a wonderful quality of communication with the staff when the situation calls for it. Therefore, I don't exactly care for the official status of my distro, as I get good service both from the software and its creators.

I find the choice of distros/OS often resemble religious behavior. For some reason, we humans tend to believe the fact that we have made a choice of distro/religion, means that our choice is meaningful to others. For example, I'm sure you have very good reasons to like openSuse, but whatever they are, I still chose Arch. Respectfully, your choice isn't any more significant than mine on its own. In fact, Mr. Bysh, your choice isn't even meaningful to me as my requirements are obviously different than yours. This isn't to say OpenSuse is a bad distro, far from it.

I respect Codeweavers for considering both market factors and technical factors while making their choice of tested/supported distros. I suggest to you that you should judge the decision of continued business with Codeweavers not on a basis of "do they validate my choice of distro", but more on the question of you getting your money's worth, because the answer to that is a big yes for me, hence my continued purchases.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and you what they say about those...

Crossover software, quality of tech. support was never in question. They have always fixed their bugs in a timely manner with everything I've posted privately over the last several years.

Ever since they started supporting certain applications and the rest have been replaced by open source software, I no longer use the Microsoft operating system.

My response was to Caron Wills's comment. If Codeweavers dropped support for the openSUSE distro I would have preferred to be informed privately rather than on a public forum to a random question.

Oh ok, so they owed you an e-mail, a text message on your phone or maybe nice scented letter with Halmark card? Just kidding. 😋

I guess you just might be right if you originally bought Crossover with openSuse support in mind. But then, I wouldn't want to manage that nightmare each time the official distro list changes. Not sure a "private message" to each user of a given distro would be easy to do, especially since a bunch of us are distro hoppers. Keeping the list up to date would be a whole lot of work on it's own.

Roman Bysh wrote:

My response was to Caron Wills's comment. If Codeweavers dropped
support for the openSUSE distro I would have preferred to be
informed privately rather than on a public forum to a random
question.

To privately contact only OpenSuse users we would have to take in that information and have a way to keep that information up to date when users changed distributions. This does not exist. Spamming every Linux user was not an option when such a small percentage of them were affected by this decision and truthfully, we pay attention to unsupported distributions and fix bugs for them.

I'm not really sure how this is a random question. One of the issues brought up in the thread is that OpenSuse users were told that the distro is not supported when they contacted our support staff for help. The forum thread is about how CrossOver runs with OpenSuse 12.3 and problems therein. My first comment was to acknowledge that we said that and to say that I had still sent the issue to our developers for review in the form of a bug.

I use openSUSE and I have yet to have a problem with CrossOver not working with it. So far as I'm concerned, CodeWeavers supports me 100% and I thank them for that.

OK just to way in I too am an OpenSuse user and have been from 2005 and a CrossOver user from crossover 6. I have my crossover support paid up to mid 2014 and did so well before the announcement of the dropping of support for OpenSuse. I have had few problems with crossover but it would be nice to know that I matter to the crossover team. I do understand why they have dropped support for OpenSuse it is far more progressive in it's development and allows users to update to newer library’s before a new release comes out making it a moving target unlike Ubuntu or Debian. Any one who is using OpenSuse should go in to CrossOver's settings and turn on (Application Usage) so are usage is being tracked maybe there are more of use than they think.

Perhaps I was a little hasty in posting my response. There was no way of re-editing my post. What I really meant about the random question was that I was following up on a question on another forum unrelated to Codeweavers. I happen to come across a posting where an openSUSE user asked if it was true that openSUSE support was dropped by Codeweavers. They provided a link to this forum. Yes, I was surprised and unaware that my favorite distro was dropped. Hence the word "random" was used.

I will always use Crossover so long as it will install on my 64-bit system. It's a unique product using the most stable version of WINE. All of the Windows applications that I require are supported. The support is the best.

So far, I've never run into a missing file on the "rpm version" versus the "binary version". If a library file was missing openSUSE has very extensive repositories. Users can find and install the requested file unless there's a bug or the distro will not allow it. 😉

I also came across the Ppygtk problems and it turned out that the solution was to remove the Subpixel Repository and use the default font rendering libs to get it working again.

I also do care about OpenSuSE being supported by Codeweavers. Maybe another reason is that OpenSUSE is widely used in german speaking areas and there might be more people who care about their privacy and hence the CX Feedback options are switched off ... just an idea.

Hi,

may I suggest that the easiest way to get an opensuse build (or any linux platform) is to use the excellent SUSE build studio mechanism?

Once the repositories are defined, it would be easier to keep track of changes.

I have 64bit 12.3 like many there, and think it is a shame for portability to be impeded by a relatively straightforward mechansim.

P.

i have no problems running crossover in Opensuse 12.3 64 bit just turn on the pack-man repository and the source one

1 to 27 of 27

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic0huVWVLaEFxUDVwRkdZRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9