CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Compatibility with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) 11 SP2

I am trying to determine if I should spend money on Crossover. I just downloaded and installed Crossover Linux 12.1.2 on my SLED 11 SP2 system and tried to install MS Office Standard 2010. It didn't work. Is it because Crossover Linux doesn't work on SLED? It is not on the list of supported versions of Linux. Here is the output from cxdiag:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/cxoffice/lib /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

[MissingLibMpg123]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libmpg123.so.0 library"
"Description"="Needed by some Windows applications to play MP3 files."

[MissingLibOpenal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libopenal.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides audio support to Windows applications."

[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[MissingLibV4l1]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libv4l1.so.0 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access video devices."

[X11NotWorking]
"Level"="Require"
"Title"="X11 does not work"
"Description"="X11 did not work in our simple tests. This means neither CrossOver nor Windows applications will work."

It says X11 is not working, but that's what I'm using right now to type this message. It seemed to have trouble installing the fonts for MS Office, so I canceled the installation.

Samuel Figueroa wrote:

I am trying to determine if I should spend money on Crossover. I
just downloaded and installed Crossover Linux 12.1.2 on my SLED 11
SP2 system and tried to install MS Office Standard 2010. It didn't
work. Is it because Crossover Linux doesn't work on SLED? It is
not on the list of supported versions of Linux. Here is the output
from cxdiag:

[X11NotWorking]
"Level"="Require"
"Title"="X11 does not work"
"Description"="X11 did not work in our simple tests. This means
neither CrossOver nor Windows applications will work."

It says X11 is not working, but that's what I'm using right now to
type this message. It seemed to have trouble installing the fonts
for MS Office, so I canceled the installation.

This is why Core Fonts and MS Office would fail to install. Something about X11 is busted... can you run glxinfo or glxgears from terminal?

The best thing to do is to open a Support Ticket (you will receive an answer, just email info@codeweavers.com). In that ticket include the output of:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag --debug > ~/Desktop/cxdiag.txt
glxinfo > ~/Desktop/glxinfo.txt

And, the version of Linux and the log file from an attempt to install the fonts. We will do our best to help.

If you create an empty bottle and attempt to run notepad in it, does that work?

We have had issues where our libxcb failed to work on certain setups, and I suspect that is what is happening to you. If you can't run even notepad, this could be why.

If not even notepad will work in a fresh bottle, you could try going to CX_ROOT/lib/ and deleting / renaming everything named 'libxcb*' in that directory, then trying again. If that works, libxcb is likely the problem.

Just to report back, I did send a message to info@codeweavers.com, and then I found a post that suggested moving libxcb aside. Apparently, this work around is indicated for systems using an NVIDIA graphics driver. After doing that, I was able to fully install MS Office Standard 2010, though Outlook does not run robustly enough for me to rely on as my primary e-mail app. I could probably use it as a backup if for some reason my Windows VM is down, though. (I was hoping I could get away with not using a Windows VM at all.)

For anyone wondering, further instructions for moving the libxcb library can now be found here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/suse_libxcb

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUHVORVhGcW5UYkhaZHNZdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9