CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

What actually changes when I define a bottle as XP or Vista or 98?

Is there any particular reason to choose one over another?

Avi Jacobson wrote:

Is there any particular reason to choose one over another?

It sets the default Windows version CrossOver will mimic for that bottle. I recommend
always setting it to WinXP, even if an application requires a different version to work.
You can change the version for a specific application using Winecfg (Manage Bottles >
Control Panel tab > Wine Configuration).

You should know that nothing really changes in Crossover, neither files nor capabilities. When you change the version, Crossover only changes ther version it reports itself to be to the software. In other words, unless your software refuse to install on a WinXp bottle, you shouldn't even care.

Actually, the exact details might be useful to know.

I'd be interested in knowing what I could hand edit so as to customise the reported string. I know CCP (Eve Online) once asked for this string to be distinct under Wine/Crossover so they could use it for gathering stats.

I don't really now what "hand editing" is available to the user. I usually just use the wine configuration tool in the control panel (or just winecfg for Wine alone). I don't think you'll have that many options outside of those already set within Wine/Crossover. I don't think you would get any kind of advantage out of it either. Most software out there don't care that much about what Windows version they're running on. In any case, the change is purely cosmetic.

If you want to experiment, I believe you would have to look in the cxbottle.conf file that would be in the bottle's folder, in the /home/some_user/.cxoffice folder. As for what options you have, you might want to either contact the staff, or look at the wiki at winehq.org. Not that I expect you'll get much of a payout for your efforts.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaFZZTVZjZEJxdTQ3Q1p3NiIsImdkcHIiOjB9