CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

installing crossover on a Raspberry pi.

I have used Crossover in the past on Ubuntu, but I was wondering if anyone out there has installed it on a raspberry pi? I have downloaded it on mine, but have been unable to get it to install. I have tried the #sh install-crossover-12.2.1.bin but I keep getting the command not found.

If anyone can shead some light on how to install crossover on the weezy branch, I would be greatly appreciated.

Short answer, you can't.

Long answer the processor, being an arm processor, just doesn't have the instruction sets that Crossover/Wine expects. Even if you somehow "installed" it on the system, it wouldn't work. You need an intel-based processor to hope to make use of Crossover. F

Unless Codeweavers or the Wine project come out with a Arm compatible branch, you are without a doubt wasting your time. Although, I do wish to salute, and I do admire, your tinkerer's dispositions.

EDIT: By the way, all windows software expect intel-based processors too, which also prohibits any real use on Arm processors. Also, sh is not what you want to run a bin file in my experience. You have to make the bin file executable then run it, like so:

chmod +x install-crossover.12.2.1.bin
./install-crossover.12.2.1.bin

Not that it would change anything to the fact the pi doesn't have the right kind of processor.

Just for kicks, check this out there is software emulate the x86 processor on the ARM architecture. It looks like it would be a little too slow but I'm sure it is worth tinkering around with, just for kicks.

http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/rpix86

Nathan Wolf wrote:

[...]a little too slow

"rpix86 emulates a 80486 CPU at about 20MHz speed"
"It is recommended to run rpix86 from the console"

At 20mhz, it is way too slow! And running from console means essentially this is only good if you're aiming for extremely old dos software. Nothing Crossover could really help with for sure.

Another short answer is [drum roll] ... Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Sorry, couldn't help meself. :)

I liked it, but then I'm a geek too!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSnNtQXlkcHpVNWJYa0xnTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9