CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

"Unable to find a volume for file extraction"

I am (or will be - haven't got that far) attempting to install unsupported software "PDFill Tools" using CrossOver Linux 7.0.2 on a Kubuntu 8.04 machine.

I've tried various approaches but aways wind up with the same error above when I try to install Windows Installer.

Here's the most recent approach I've attempted...

1. Install MSIE 6 (supported) into a new bottle
  2. Change the bottle's Windows version to XP
  3. Install Windows Installer 3.1 for Win2000 and WinXP.exe (unsupported) into this same bottle - it's at this point when the installer is running I get the error message "Unable to find a volume for file extraction. Please verify you have the proper permissions." (PDFill Tools tells me I need this app to install.)
  4. If step 3 did work, I'd then attempt to install PDFill Tools" - but I haven't made it this far

I've looked at the CrossOver install log, but it's Greek to me - can provide a copy if it would help

Any idea what I need to do to get around the problem in step 3? Thanks, Rob L

You can try showing service packs and dependencies and installing the Windows Installer Redistributable instead of Windows Installer 3.1 and see if that helps.

Actually, the error message you receive "Unable to find a volume for file extraction" is a tell tale for an issue we are tracking down. Can you file a support ticket so that we can add your scenario to the bug report? If you do not have access to file a support ticket, please send an email to info@codeweavers.com

Please reference bug 4403 in addition to explaining what you are attempting to install as you have here.

I have just instaled Crossover to Fedora 9 and I am having the same error installing the Windows Installed 3.1 Redistributable package. I tried to check the bug but access to it is restricted.

thanks!
Katherine

Yes, our bugs are private unless we specifically add interested parties to them. This is why you must first file a ticket (or send an email).

Hi there, I am trying to install OS Weather Version 1.1.47 to work with an Oregon Scientific Weather station and have had the same error message - I get the impression it thinks there is not enough room (but I have about 7gb free so this is unlikely) or that it cannot get premission to create a temp file during an extraction process.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Giles

(double post deleted)

I have this exact same problem when trying to install wic_x86_enu.exe on both 7.0.2 and now 7.1.2. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 x64 and the template used was Windows XP. It was to resolve another issue with the game Casebook Episode I, which when trying to run the game after installation says "The WIC component must be installed before this game will run. Try running one of the installers that came, with the game" which, after looking up this message, requires the installation of wic_x86_enu.exe.

You will need to make the 'C' drive recognizable by the installer:

On Linux:

cd ~/.cxoffice/<bottlename>
mv drive_c harddisk0
ln -s harddisk0 drive_c
rm dosdevices/c:
ln -sf ../harddisk0 dosdevices/c:

This will be fixed in the next release of CrossOver.

Cheers!

Is this fix also going to work for Mac OSX users? I tried it on mine and it didn't seem to recognize the bottle any longer.

1 to 10 of 10

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieDRxVGRXckFKM0Fna1ZyMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9