CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing CrossOver on Debian Sid 64bit: lib32asound2 missing

Hi,

trying to install Crossover 12.2.1-1 on Debian Sid (amd64), I'm getting this error:

$ sudo dpkg -i ia32-crossover_12.2.1-1_amd64.deb 
Selecting previously unselected package ia32-crossover.
(Reading database ... 332857 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ia32-crossover (from ia32-crossover_12.2.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ia32-crossover:
 ia32-crossover depends on ia32-libs; however:
  Package ia32-libs is not installed.
 ia32-crossover depends on lib32asound2; however:
  Package lib32asound2 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing ia32-crossover (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 ia32-crossover

I already checked, and such library has been removed in last versions:

http://packages.debian.org/lib32asound2

Therefore the solution pointed http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki//linux/faq/debian_wheezy_64bit is not valid anymore.

Any idea how to get it working?

Thanks in advance!

After looking at your problem, I wonder if you have ia32-libs installed? I have reason to believe the missing librairy will be provided by either this package or its dependencies. It seems to me that Debian is looking to implement the idea of multiarch, as done on Archlinux and others. The transition isn't entirely complete from the looks of it, hence your difficulty with Crossover.

I would install ia32-libs, without relying on the Crossover deb, to see if things go well after. You will first need to add multiarch support with:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

I'm not running any kind of Debian, so you might want to verify my idea as valid first. Not that I consider it dangerous for your system, but better safe than sorry.

Hi,

the problem (as I see it) is a change in Debian Jess, they seem to want to go further with the multilib approach, so they removed "lib32asound2" and one should probably use "libasound2:i386". I guess Codeweavers would need to change the ".deb" to take that into account, as it currently requires "lib32asound2" and thus creates a conflict upon upgrade.

Sincerely

• Jan Krämer

Same problem here

Did you managed to solve this issue?

Well since I am a layz..well...energy efficient person, I just restrict myself in the moment to do "aptitude safe-upgrade" which only upgrades packages without conflicts (i.e. everything but asound2) and wait for codeweavers to do something...
I have not yet had any Problems with that.

If you want to install it fresh...you might have to downgrade to Debian Wheezy....Sadly I cannot be of more help there.

I have the same problem on Debian Testing.

Same here on Debian testing. Right now I use sudo dpkg --force-all -i ia32-crossover_12.2.1-1_amd64.deb but this is no permanent solution as it prevents from further updating the system. A solution would be greatly appreciated!

I think one of you might want to open a support ticket, linking back to this thread.

The devs sometime miss a thread, and support ticket will make sure they know what's going one for you Debian users. At least that's what I would do so as not to wait for nothing.

Actually, any of you tried the bin file? I think it would install even without that missing depedency.

Being on Arch, that's what I use. It certainly isn't as "clean" as going through your package manager, but then I use it in "single user" mode, where everything is in my home. If I need to clean things, I just use the uninstaller, or I can just delete cxoffice and .cxoffice if I want the bottles to go too.

With that, you could install Crossover until things get sorted out. Your sound might not work with some software, but if you use Ms Office or something, how cares...

Support ticket 950992

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. Our developers are working on this issue in the next release of Crossover. In the meantime you can download and install Crossover using the shell installer http://media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/cxlinux/demo/install-crossove
r-12.2.1.bin which will bypass the package dependencies that Debian is complaining about.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hello,

a few days ago released ia32-crossover_12.2.2-1_amd64.deb haven't fixed the issue

buboo wrote:

Hello,

a few days ago released ia32-crossover_12.2.2-1_amd64.deb haven't
fixed the issue

My apologies. We released that version for a quick fix on an unrelated issue. Our upcoming CrossOver 12.5 will have some library fixes in it and our next planned major release will have more.

workaround:

apt-get install equivs

cat >lib32asound2 <<EOF
Section: misc
Priority: optional
Standards-Version: 3.9.2

Package: lib32asound2
Version: 1.0.25
Maintainer: John Doe <jd@example.com>
Depends: libasound2:i386
Description: dummy transitional package
EOF

equivs-build lib32asound2
dpkg -i lib32asound2_1.0.25_all.deb

this builds and installs (very crude) transitional lib32asound2 package (w/ equivs) which just depends on libasound2:i386

after installation you may (if cxoffice doesn't find the library) have to copy/link

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2.0.0  

to
/usr/lib32/libasound.so.2.0.0

e.g. via

ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib32/

fdc07f9a wrote:

workaround:

apt-get install equivs

cat >lib32asound2 <<EOF

Maintainer: John Doe jd@example.com
EOF

> this builds and installs (very crude) transitional lib32asound2
> package (w/ equivs) which just depends on libasound2:i386

Great workaround, thanks!

In addition I had to install ia32-libs-i386:i386 which was a dependency for ia32-libs, but now I finally have a working system again!

Thomas Berker wrote:

fdc07f9a wrote:

workaround:

apt-get install equivs

cat >lib32asound2 <<EOF

Maintainer: John Doe jd@example.com
EOF

>> this builds and installs (very crude) transitional lib32asound2
>> package (w/ equivs) which just depends on libasound2:i386

> Great workaround, thanks!

> In addition I had to install ia32-libs-i386:i386 which was a
> dependency for ia32-libs, but now I finally have a working system
> again!  

Could you please provide step by step commands, for I got lost after first line?

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVW5uRXU2V2tzdGJ0UHJmRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9