CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

UWP and Wine

I was wondering how feasible it would be to run Universal Windows Platform apps (UWP, Modern. Metro, whatever one wants to call them) under Wine/Crossover?

I know the ability isn't there currently (no way to call the runtime, etc). What I was curious about was how much of UWP even uses the legacy Win32 code, other than for file-system, network and display access. I expect the API might abstract the system so far it doesn't even see the old MSWin subsystems.

James E. LaBarre wrote:

I was wondering how feasible it would be to run Universal Windows
Platform apps (UWP, Modern. Metro, whatever one wants to call them)
under Wine/Crossover?

I know the ability isn't there currently (no way to call the
runtime, etc). What I was curious about was how much of UWP even
uses the legacy Win32 code, other than for file-system, network and
display access. I expect the API might abstract the system so far
it doesn't even see the old MSWin subsystems.

There shouldn't be anything from preventing Wine / Crossover developers from implementing the new UWP / WinRT APIs but it's fundementally different and the way UWP apps are created, installed and ran is totally different from normal .EXEs but Microsoft does permit .APPX UWP packages to be installed outside of the Windows store, so that opens development potential for Wine or another project to someday implement support.

That said, even though Wine doesn't support UWP now, it's still possible to use UWP apps on Linux in a Wine-like manner with some specialized Windows guest virtualization and some script software I'm working on to help integrate UWP and Cortana digital assistant into Linux.

If you're interested, you can see these recent videos I've uploaded for a better idea about what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy1KaOt74Ys

And also this video:

Cortana on Linux (which is a UWP based app)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU1RuZGZVTXA5eG5NS3g4QSIsImdkcHIiOjB9