CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Powerpoint 2013 scrambled presentations

Hi, all!

I have installed Office 2013 on Crossover 16. I am running Crossover on an Ubuntu 16.10 with a NVidia card running on the 367.57 driver version. Everything seems to run smoothly or, at least, as expected according to the actual status of Office 2013 on Crossover 16. Except Powerpoint.

While using the applicationt to create/design a new presentation works really well, when going onto presentation mode, the presentation screen is scrambled. Just a simple example to show you what I am talking about. This is the slide in the Powerpoint design area:

Powerpoint 2013 slide design

and this is the presentation screen for the same slide:

Powerpoint 2013 presentation screen

It happens with both Gnome 3.20 and KDE 5.8 in my laptop screen 1920x1080 and my external screen 3840x2160. Any idea on what can this be? I am betting this is my graphics card configuration and something to do with hardware acceleration, but I tested different things both in the Xorg configuration and the Powerpoint hardware graphics acceleration and nothing, always the same results.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Fabricio

I experience the same problems and have not found a solution yet.
I'm running Crossover 16.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 Gnome with a Radeon R7 M260/M265.
Also changing my graphics settings did not help.
At least it is not only an AMD issue :)
PS: I'm using the free open-source driver amdgpu and have not yet tried out the closed-source proprietary AMD driver.
Which Nvidia driver do you use?

Hello, if you haven't done so yet open a terminal and type /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag look in the output and see if you have any missing libraries.

Hi Mike,

thanks for your fast response!
The output I get is:

[MissingLibGphoto2Port]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2_port.so.10 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibOpencl]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOpenCL.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides GPU computation support to Windows applications."

After running:
sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-opencl-dev:i386
to install libOpenCL.so.1

the output is:

[MissingLibGphoto2Port]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2_port.so.10 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

Thus, the MissingOpenCL problem is fixed.
Unfortunately, I cannot find libgphoto2_port.so.10 in any Ubuntu package.
However, powerpoint presentations are still scrambled in presentation mode.

The libgphoto2_port.so.10 i don't think is a problem Ubuntu 16.04 uses libgphoto2_port.so.12 not 10 and that was installed when i added the 32 bit support so that should be the same for you as well i never used office on crossover before in fact i don't run anything by default on it right now just do beta testing when crossover 16.2 comes out "testing that out right now" I'm going to try dream weaver cc if it still works. Ok still having those problems with power point is the .net framework installed? Is your screen ratio set right you might want to check that if that fails check that your running the correct video driver (kinda hard not to be i know but check) last the rich20.dll that wine uses may be the problem in some cases it is then you'll need to download the Microsoft .dll put it in wine and do a .dll override in the wine cfg it won't hurt crossover. If you need help with that just message me i can show you how to do it. I really really don't think thats the problem lots of people run office on crossover and I've never heard of that problem before. Lets hope someone who has had that problem looks on this forum and answers. Let me check an see if there's a crosstie for office 2013 that would make installing it better if you haven't done rhat ye.

Did you buy crossover or trying it out? If you did buy it you get 1 free phone support incident and 1 year of email support.

I bought the academic version of crossover, and thus I don't get any support.
What I tried:

• Installing .Net Framework 4.6.1
  • Copying Windows riched20.dll, riched30.dll into wine:/windows/system32 and setting them to native in wincfg
  • Setting crossover to emulate windows desktop
    None of the steps helped.

Oh, i see well i checked today office 2013 does have a crosstie if you know how to install software using that. Crossties make installing software easier in crossover that should do it getting ready to leave work right now but i can try to help when i get home. You can look for a ooa for libgphoto2_port.so.10 but i don't think it will help just be more packages in Ubuntu.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Running Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit and installed the 32-bit version of Office 2013 Professional via the defaults suggested by Crossover This is installed on a Dell XPS 13 9360 (Kaby Lake) with Intel graphics GPU. I have a HiDPI screen so I went into the Win7 bottle settings and bumped screen DPI to 210 and it looks great. All software works fine, but PowerPoint is the issue. I can edit slides no problem, but as soon as I run the slides in a slideshow, I get the following message:
"PowerPoint has detected that your graphics card may not be configured properly for the optimal slide show experience."

Then, all of my images and text are scrambled on the screen. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated, because without improvements, PowerPoint 2013 is basically unusable.

Best,
John

Hi,

I have a skylake CPU and an external AMD graphic card, too.
By default my laptop uses the intel graphic card for rendering OpenGL.
Thus, I tried out what happens when I force crossover to use the AMD graphic card.
IMHO: rendering images is less bugy and the presentation screen feels faster. However, the presentation screen is still scrambled.
For running OpenGL on my external graphic card I use the following script.
Maybe it turns out the be helpful for you

#!/bin/bash
dri_prime="env DRI_PRIME=1  thread_submit=true"
gpu_cmd="glxinfo | grep \"OpenGL renderer\""
wine_cmd="/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle \"Microsoft_Office_2013\" --cx-app POWERPNT.EXE"
final_cmd=
input=$(zenity --title "Origin GPU Switch" --text "2015 bash script by Tsukiyoarts (www.tsukiyoarts.com)\nPlease type r for radeon, leave empty for intel or cancel: " --entry)
retval=$?
case $retval in 0)
if [ $input="r" ]||[ $input="i" ]
then
if [ $input="r" ]
then
final_cmd="$dri_prime $wine_cmd"
else
final_cmd=$wine_cmd
fi
eval $final_cmd
fi
;;
1)
esac

Thanks for this update, Andreas. I reached out to tech support for assistance and they helped me troubleshoot my problem. The solution was to launch Crossover and right-click on the bottle for Office 2013 and go to Settings. Under settings de-select "Performance Enhanced Graphics." Then launch PowerPoint and the slideshow proceeds without a problem. Hope this solution helps others.

Thanks, John!
Deactivating "Performance Enhanced Graphics." for the bottle solved the scrambled presentation for me, too.
Thanks!
However, now some slides in the preview (the bar on the left side) are rendered completely black.
Moreover, I have the impression that most of the forms now have some kind of "aliasing effect" similar to video games.

Out of curiosity, does someone know what this setting actually does?

I have the same problem. I am running Powerpoint 2013 from a professional plus version on Ubuntu 17.04. The computer is a 2010 iMac 27" display using a Radeon HD4670 video card and the Nouveau driver. In my case, I have a second problem - every time I start up the application it goes to Setup. Setup asks to reboot; doing that starts the process over again. Not rebooting starts the application, but the next time out I get Setup again. I don't know if the two problems are related.

Michael Fox wrote:

I have the same problem. I am running Powerpoint 2013 from a
professional plus version on Ubuntu 17.04. The computer is a 2010
iMac 27" display using a Radeon HD4670 video card and the Nouveau
driver. In my case, I have a second problem - every time I start up
the application it goes to Setup. Setup asks to reboot; doing that
starts the process over again. Not rebooting starts the application,
but the next time out I get Setup again. I don't know if the two
problems are related.

The Nouveau driver is only for nVidia cards, as far as I know, and you are saying that your graphics card is an AMD card.

I have both the installation configuration needing a reboot on every first run of powerpoint 2013 issue as well as the scrambled presentations in presentation mode when performance enhanced graphics is selected issue.
Office 2013, 32 Bit, on ubuntu 17.04 running on a lenovo x1 yoga gen 2 (intel accelerated graphics).

Pretty much makes power point useless because without performance enhanced graphics it takes a long time to advance to the next slide for large and complicated slides.

1 to 14 of 14

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS2dHQnZydlRZZnE2SGhQbiIsImdkcHIiOjB9