CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

install from media on harddrive

Lol, there are several videos on how to install CO on Linux but no videos to explain the strange process of installing a simple windows program from existing install media sitting on the harddrive.

If someone is using Linux, I highly doubt they need help installing CO on it. However, for someone that's never used CO before, it's practically guaranteed they will need help installing Winderz software with CO. They probably don't use Winderz that much either. And what's a "bottle"? Sheesh.

I did finally notice the "Install and Finish" button on the top right (not intuitive at all). But it stays grayed out. Hitting the "Continue" button on the bottom right opens up a huge list of windows software. Does this mean CO only installs "approved" software? Sheesh, so far CO is a big waste of time.

Thanks.

I'm entirely surprised how many times RTFM could apply to questions but, of course, it implies reading. I try not to say RTFM to noobs, but frankly your snarky remarks are just asking for it. Seriously, there's a manual:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs

If you look on this website, you will see "support", and then "the basics", to find "product documentation". If you are new to this, one would think you would go there, read up, and then only ask questions about what you're unsure about...

But to answer your question, there's no "approved" software, and you can install anything you like. You won't get 100% success rate, but you can try anything. Some software are "supported", which means they are expected to be fully functional, nothing more. It is in no way a limitation to installing whatever software you want.

As for bottles, each software can be installed in its own private environment, so it doesn't interfere with other windows software's library. The point being to isolate different software. pretty much the same thing as "wineprefix" for the wine.

Ok, had a little more time to mess with this. Tried installing a "listed" windows program in the hope of discovering something. Turns out there is an "unlisted program" item at the bottom of the tiny window. A checkbox for "unlisted program" at the top of the first step would make more sense.

Yeah, I knew someone would suggest I spend hours RTFM when all that is needed is a checkbox for the obvious situation of "unlisted program". I have no interest in investing a lot of time in some archaic windows apps that others who are not willing to RTFM on Linux and get off the horrible Winders crap have to have. But thanks for your suggesting, Snarky.

You must read really slowly...

And I noticed after all your commentary, you still didn't provide the one clue as "noob" would need. Eg, look for the "unlisted program" item at the bottom of the tiny little window.

I'll give you that, it wasn't all that obvious, and the design decision isn't the best execution. Yet I figured it out, and so have many others. It can't be that bad.

I, too, think the interface needs improving. On rare ocasions I needed a "listed" application. Most applications I use are "unlisted". And the first time I used it, it took me just too much time to find where "unlisted" was... A better approach would be to have a sepparate button or checkbox for "unlisted" with the appropriate highlight to it. Just my humble opinion.

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

I, too, think the interface needs improving. On rare ocasions I
needed a "listed" application. Most applications I use are
"unlisted". And the first time I used it, it took me just too much
time to find where "unlisted" was... A better approach would be to
have a sepparate button or checkbox for "unlisted" with the
appropriate highlight to it. Just my humble opinion.

I agree with that. Most of what I have tried are unlisted applications too. A priority to the most common scenario would be best.

I have a few older PC games that came on CDs, archived as ISO images.

For now, I just extract the ISO manually into a folder and then point Crossover to that folder or the setup program. Unfortunately, I usually can't install games that came on multiple CDs this way because the windows installers can't be redirected to a new file system location for the second CD.

I would be nice if a Crossover installation option existed that lets you select a disk image file, or multiple image files, and makes it appear to the Windows installer that it is being executed from a real CD drive. When the installer wants you to change the CD, it should be possible to just switch to a new image file.

I agree with the criticism that the "unlisted program" option needs to be more prominent.

RB wrote:

I would be nice if a Crossover installation option existed that lets
you select a disk image file, or multiple image files, and makes it
appear to the Windows installer that it is being executed from a
real CD drive. When the installer wants you to change the CD, it
should be possible to just switch to a new image file.

What I used to do, and probably still works, is to dump every disk's content into a single folder on the hard drive. During the copying, if asked, overwrite similarly named files or ignore them, as it didn't change anything (at least for me). Essentially, what you want to do is create one big "CD" straight on your hard drive. Do not separate CDs with sub-folders like disk1, disk2 , you want one folder with everything just as it appears on the disks.

I read some of these post first look for the "unlisted program" noob there i said it if you'll read the manual you will learn a lot and there are some video's. Now if you're new to Linux you have to understand running software from another os is really hard to do the people at codeweavers/winehq work really hard on this and deserve better. This forum is for people having problems and asking for help not for criticizing please don't do it.

Mitch wrote:

I read some of these post first look for the "unlisted program" noob
there i said it if you'll read the manual you will learn a lot and
there are some video's. Now if you're new to Linux you have to
understand running software from another os is really hard to do the
people at codeweavers/winehq work really hard on this and deserve
better. This forum is for people having problems and asking for help
not for criticizing please don't do it.

Hi, Mike! I am sorry something that has been posted may have sounded like complaining. Any criticism is intended for improving the interface and making it better. I was just reporting my personal experience with it. The interface can be improved and this is just a suggestion, but the decision to do it or not is for CodeWeavers to make. But they will never know it if nobody reports it. We DO know that running code made for other OS is hard work and we all feel thankfull for wine/CodeWeavers guys. But you are right, the objective of this forums are to provide help and not suggestions.

Silvio, I think Bubba was the target of the last comment, not you.

Your tone was just fine but, on the other hand, Bubba was definitely using a very different, entitled tone. He's complaining...

1 to 14 of 14

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU0d1ZmFRU2YyVFVjd01TQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9