CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam not launching

I have installed steam via crossover 16.0.2 or w/e the latest version is, when I install it, it updates but after the updating steam box is done it goes away and steam never opens. I have tried doubling the icon bottle and nothing happens, I have tried right clicking and running command and nothing happens. Please help.

We are aware of this problem and have built and are testing a fix. We hope to have a release which includes a fix for this very soon.

Thanks so much for the quick response!

I too eagerly await the update. FYI, this is the bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43315

Anthony David wrote:

I too eagerly await the update. FYI, this is the bug:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43315

We pushed an update just a couple of hours ago. Please give CrossOver 16.2.5 a try!

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes.

Worked for me. Steam starts now. Thanks!

how do you update?

sorry I am a fairly new convert from Windows.

What host OS are you running?

For Linux (I am using Ubuntu) I remove[] the crossover package, then install[] the newly downloaded crossover package. All the contents of the .cxoffice directory are unaffected and you should carry on as before. For MacOS, I've not had one since the early naughties, but the principle should be the same.
[*] using your favourite software management system

The installation process is the same as https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/install or https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/install

I'm having this problem with Crossover 16.2.5.

Mike Robinson wrote:

I'm having this problem with Crossover 16.2.5.

Hi,

I tested it with 16.2.0 and was already working. Upgraded now to 16.2.5 and it still works. It may be so because Steam was already installed... or maybe not...

I also tried with a Windows XP and a WIndows 7 bottle (I play 2 different games, so I use these 2 different bottles for each).

Maybe it would be easier for people to help if you give more details: what is your bottle's Windows version, how did you install Steam (manually or by choosing Steam from the supported applications list...). Good luck!

Excuse me, when install steam there, firstly, is no icon for me to relaunch it, second it doesn't launch at all when its finished installing. This is very annoying. If you can help me that would be greatly appreciated.

Crossover 17.5.0 under Ubuntu 18.04 using X11 and not Wayland

Steam is now not working. I don't remember the last time I ran Steam successfully on this laptop as I only use it at LAN parties. I deleted my Steam bottle and recreated it and the same thing is happening. It seems to exit immediately on launch

James Nicholson wrote:

Excuse me, when install steam there, firstly, is no icon for me to
relaunch it, second it doesn't launch at all when its finished
installing. This is very annoying. If you can help me that would be
greatly appreciated.

Did you install Steam selecting Tools -> Install software, then typing "Steam" in the search box?

Casey Boone wrote:

Crossover 17.5.0 under Ubuntu 18.04 using X11 and not Wayland

Steam is now not working. I don't remember the last time I ran
Steam successfully on this laptop as I only use it at LAN parties.
I deleted my Steam bottle and recreated it and the same thing is
happening. It seems to exit immediately on launch

I was recently having problems with my Optimus powered notebook (Geforce GTX675M), but because I installed too many GPU related PPAs. I was running a relatively old version of Kubuntu (14.04), so I did an upgrade to Kubuntu 16.04 which removed the PPAs and my Crossover Linux continued to work. I'm trying an installation with no Primus and no Bumblebee, this time. I'm switching between Intel and nVidia GPUs by means of the nVidia Settings program.

Steam is running fine with nVidia GPU chosen. I'm using Crossover 17.5.0.

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibWU3Z0JBWkFUWmZUUlFZViIsImdkcHIiOjB9