CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

World of Warcraft 7.3.0

Hello,

I recently updated WoW to the 7.3.0 patch.

I'm running into Linux Mint 18.2 with Crossover 16.2.5

Battle.net application run very well but when i launch WoW with button Play, WoW run and closed immediately. No chance to play.

Someone had the same problem?

Thanks for help, cheers.

Sebastien

The same problem

Same here.

Primary reason I bought CrossOver and it does not work.

Warcraft wrote:

Same here.

Primary reason I bought CrossOver and it does not work.

We are quite concerned about this and are testing a solution in-house. It's going to be a bit of a tough one in that it will be a special build of CrossOver, but we are making a way for our customers to get up and running with WoW. We are hopeful that the necessary patches will be able to get upstream in the future so this is no longer necessary and CrossOver can run in our mainline product. Until then, we expect to deliver a specific build of CrossOver tailored to WoW in the near future.

With CrossOver supporting the wide breadth of Windows applications which it does, this sometimes happens. We always try to avoid it, but sometimes cannot. I am sorry that WoW is not running now - I will post again here when we have an update.

Thank you

Hey there!

This is Katie, your local Blizzard fangirl from Codeweavers QA and Tech Support! I am incredibly excited to announce that Codeweavers has built a special version of Crossover JUST for World of Warcraft! Now before I get ahead of myself I would like to explain a bit about this build, but I’ll try to make this brief so you can get to the good stuff asap. I do briefly want to say thank you from the bottom of all of our hearts here at Codeweavers. We have undergone tremendous growth over the last few months and have been incredibly busy trying to keep up with all of the new things happening here. You have all been so patient and kind, so thank you for keeping with us in these exciting times.

THIS IS IMPORTANT SO PLEASE READ THIS PART.
We have created a special build of Crossover for World of Warcraft. The reason we have done this is because some of the patches that are in this build MAY BREAK OTHER THINGS. We don’t know how the patches will interact with programs like Microsoft Office, or if it will or make other applications unstable (they won’t hurt your computer though, just possibly other applications run through Crossover). I will elaborate the best I can, but basically:

1. If you use Crossover for anything OTHER than Blizzard or gaming, please make sure to install the .bin installer (if you used the Crossover .deb or .rpm installer). This should allow you to have two instances of Crossover IF you did NOT use the .bin installer initially.

1. YOU MAY NEED TO REINSTALL WORLD OF WARCRAFT INTO A WIN 7 BOTTLE. I am sorry if this is the case but Blizzard games need to be migrated from Win XP to Win 7. Unfortunately the easiest way to do this is to reinstall the games. There may be a way to manually move the files but due to the nature of Crossover and having two copies I would suggest a reinstall to be on the safe side.

This is important because we have created this build JUST for World of Warcraft. We also know that it will allow people to run the Remastered Starcraft (though we are having trouble with the multiplayer aspect currently), as well as all of the other Blizzard games (minus Overwatch and Activision’s Destiny II).

This will be an unsupported build, meaning that it will not be maintained like past builds, though we are not sure what the future of this build will hold. I am excited to say that this build (with all of these patches) may run other games better than current Crossover but we just don’t know. We are excited to see what games run better with the addition of the patches so please send us feedback if a game runs better with the Warcraft build. That will allow us to push internally for some of these patches to make it into Wine and Crossover.

You can download the build here:
https://media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/cxlinux/wowbuild/

As a active and excited member of the Blizzard community I am so happy we were able to create this build for all of you. It has been a labor of love, and we have attempted to do extensive testing on it to make sure that all of the components work but if you are having trouble with it please reach back out.

Happy Winters Veil from all of the Codeweaver’s Team!

Heya there,

I'm at work but very happy to see your reply !! 😊

So i'm going to install this special build just for WoW and going to send if it's work at all on my computer.

Best regards, cheers from France 😉

Sebastien

I just started installing WOW with the WOW Build.. WOW will now launch for me. Thank you for all your hard work Codeweavers developers.

So, I just installed the wow-specific version and I'm having a similar issue to what I experience with the regular version. I have two-factor authentication enabled on my blizzard account and after installing the battle.net I get the following screen (Note: I have to log in with the bottom username and password fields)
After logging in and approving it within the authenticator app on my phone, it hangs at this screen and I can't get any further.
I've tried installing Internet Exploder without any success. I've also installed the Crossover Rendering Engine into the Battle.net bottle. I've looked in the Internet Settings and couldn't find anything there. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Please help

Thomas Lewandowski wrote:

(...) After logging in and approving it within the authenticator
app on my phone, it hangs at this screen and I can't get any
further. (...)

Interesting, with Star Trek Online, 17.0.0 loads Steam fine, then Steam opens the launcher, which updates the game. But when I click on the "Engage" button, the launcher hangs up, too. Maybe this may be a related issue.

Well, I tried with this 17.0.0-WOW version but it hangs up in the same part. I was having a hunch that this WOW version would have fixed some DX11 issues, but I guess I will have to wait for this hanging up to be fixed first...

Have you installed the following pre-requisites?
Arch: lib32-gnutls lib32-libldap lib32-libgpg-error
Ubuntu: libgnutls30:i386 libldap-2.4.2:i386 libgpg-error0:i386

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with WOW now since, the latest update to 7.3.5 using this Special crossover WOW Build?

When this build was released WOW worked fine for me, then a week or so ago, the Battle.net app updated and I could no longer log in via Battle.net launcher. Ok no Problem I just opened up WOW using the wow exe file and then I could just log in at that screen.

Then 7.3.5 update happened, and I couldn't login to WoW until I updated, and I was able to update via the battle.net launcher, by selecting the gear and saying continue without loging in, after which it updated wow. But after wow updated, I could not launch wow, just said "Game initialization Failed"

I'm currently reinstalling wow again, but I don't think that will change anything.

I'm currently running Fedora 27

Same issue here: "Game Initialization Failed".

I'm using the Crossover WoW build and Linux Mint 18.3. Hopefully I can get back to playing WoW soon. :)

you need to go into your Wine Configuration and highlight WoW.EXE and change windows version to WINDOWS 10 and apply it .... should work after that

Thanks for the tip, that worked great.

I noticed that after I logged in, a warning saying that Blizzard is not going to support 32 Bit versions in the future. So as a test, I manually created a Windows 10 64Bit Bottle. Installed WOW. I copied the wow folder from the Win 7 bottle to the win 10 bottle to the Program Files (x86) and launched the wow-64.exe file and it opened up fine.

Worked a treat, thanks! :)

Mike wrote:

Thanks for the tip, that worked great.

I noticed that after I logged in, a warning saying that Blizzard is
not going to support 32 Bit versions in the future. So as a test,
I manually created a Windows 10 64Bit Bottle. Installed WOW. I
copied the wow folder from the Win 7 bottle to the win 10 bottle to
the Program Files (x86) and launched the wow-64.exe file and it
opened up fine.

good to hear that helped was just going to test a windows 7 64 bit bottle ... might just up it to win 10 now

if it happens again just try playing with the windows version for the longest time it was win XP or nothing

Although it loads for me (gets past the "Game initialization failed" error you get on the standard build) the graphics are wrecked.

I installed WoW into a Win 7 (64-bit) bottle - as we all know 32bit always crashes after a little playtime.

I got the same login screen and authenticator issues that others reported. The text is their but not visible, so copy/pasting into a text editor allowed me to read it. Not great but just about usable.

The Battle.net/Blizzard App screen shows odd behaviour like only re-drawing when re-sizing etc.

Logging in gives a horrific graphics experience:

This is with the default D3D11, switching to D3D9 makes this aspect work again (OpenGL is also not working correctly). Though even in D3D9 it is laggy as hell even in largely unpopulated areas.

I've been using a Wine build that some one put together for Overwatch with D3D11 support in mind for a while and although it can;t handle Battle.net/Blizzard App it performs far better for WoW itself and even works VERY well on D3D11 with only occasional lag.

I'm sure they are working on it as DX9 for most games will be a thing of the past but till that day I will milk DX9 for all I can....... Now if we could get all game makers to use OpenGl or Microsoft to get directx to play well with Linux and Mac.

just as we fix one thing Blizz hits us with something new..... not sure if any has this but it looks like the pre-order is glitching for me

HI all.
Does anybody have this working, I am on ubuntu 17 with the wow build of crosover from this forum post.

When I click play from the battlenet I am getting initization failed error. I have changed the wine conf for wow.exe to windows 10 and still nothing?

NOt a great experience of Crossover so far.

lee langley wrote:

HI all.
Does anybody have this working, I am on ubuntu 17 with the wow build
of crosover from this forum post.

When I click play from the battlenet I am getting initization failed
error. I have changed the wine conf for wow.exe to windows 10 and
still nothing?

NOt a great experience of Crossover so far.

Hi, What I've had to do in order to play WOW, is create another launcher in the bottle you are using. and point it to the wow.exe file. This will allow you to startup wow, and login to your blizzard account from there.

When an update occurs, this is what I've been doing to get the update applied, because I can't properly log into the Battle.net app.

I launch the battle.net app, it will come up all blank boxes. I will click on the gear it won't show me any option until I hit the Tab key Then I select "Continue without logging in" Then wow will update. After it's done I go back to using that wow launcher that was created.

I have mine created in a Windows 10 x64 Bottle, so I'm using wow64.exe

Hope this helps.

If your looking to just run WOW you can bypass the launcher using the run command not a true fix but it will get you in-game

open the run command thats in your WOW bottle and hit browse

now in Program Files/World of Warcraft OR Program Files(86)/World of Warcraft
pick the WOW.exe OR WOW-64.exe then hit open

at this point you can just run it but I would recommend hitting the Create Launcher that will make a shortcut in the bottle
Oh and set API to dx9

You guys at CodeWeavers have done a good thing here ... WoW players NEED their 6 hours of PvP a day or they start to get unpleasant side effects.
Anyway ... ty ... may you flourish!

root@dog:/media/sda3/WoW/WoW.3.3.5a# whereis wine
wine: /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine
root@dog:/media/sda3/WoW/WoW.3.3.5a# /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine Wow.exe -opengl &

^^ the -opengl switch has helped framerate for me (you may need to edit your Config.wtf replacing "DirectX9/11" with "OpenGL"

Hi Katie Grace,

What was changed to this special WOW build to make WOW work, that it won't work in the standard or newer releases? Will the changes that you made to make it work be rolled into the main release that gets updated?

I find it interesting that the Battle net app will work.. Kinda.. (the login is all blanked out and you have to know what to hit and where to type, and hopefully you typed it correctly) but If you are able to log into Battle net you can play wow fine, likewise if you just launch the wow.exe file to bypass the battle net login.

But on newer version of wine (3.2 or even the 17.1 version of crossover) the battlenet app works, you can see the login options, the labels on the fields and buttons, and login, but wow won't start.

Thanks

1 to 24 of 24

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVzI1Y1pQZVlkV0NxTlBrWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9