CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to install an app as NON-administrator?

I'm trying to install Authy ( https://authy.com/download/ ) 32-bit on a WIndows 7 bottle.

Authy rejected installing because I tried installing as an Administrator and says I must install it as a normal user.

Is there a workaround?

BTW I firstly installed .NET Framework 4.6, as Authy requires it.

At what point in the process do you get this error? It is a strange error to receive when installing an application.

I am toying with the application now so I will find out what I can find out.

Nathan Wolf wrote:

At what point in the process do you get this error?

At the very first step of the installation process, it says:

Installation has failed  
Please re-run this installer as a normal user instead of "Run as Administrator".

Any other updates or insights on installing as a non-admin user? I need this functionality for installing another program (not this specific one).

Christopher Scott wrote:

Any other updates or insights on installing as a non-admin user? I
need this functionality for installing another program (not this
specific one).

Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to install this in a bottle and not use their Google Chrome extension, say?

Christopher Scott wrote:

specific one).

What I've tried so far...

1. I opened up the installer executable in Archive Manager and extracted all the contents. Inside was a .nupkg file which I also extracted separately. It had a bunch of DLLs and a few executables under "lib/net45". I'm on Ubuntu 18.10 and I don't currently have DotNET installed but I think there may be a way to run this under DotNET Core possibly, though technically that's a different NET architecture than NET Framework.

2. Under "cmd" for the bottle, I did an msiexec /i on the executable. I got no dialogue or feedback, and all it created were various data files under the bottle's "C:\Users\CrossOver\Application Data\Authy Desktop" folder, no executables that I could find.

I'm kind of stuck, unless I get another idea or two, or I'd try to help further.

Christopher Scott wrote:

specific one).

UAC (User Access Control) is not implemented in wine and probably not in Crossover. There were some wine-staging experimental versions that supported it, but I'm afraid Crossover does not support it so far.

Christopher Scott, I got an idea and I believe I have this working now. I created a 32-bit Windows 7 bottle with NET 4.6.2 (which pulled in several previous NET versions as dependencies), and I installed the "Core fonts" from Non-Applications - Components - Fonts - Core Fonts. I installed Authy in a Windows 10 Virtual Machine I have, and then copied the program folder it created from C:\Users...\AppData\Local\authy-electron to the bottle, first creating the C:\Users\Crossover\AppData\Local\authy-electron folder structure and then copying over the folder contents. I got it to run, and even used the Authy application running in the Windows 10 VM to validate the one running in the Crossover bottle. However, installing it in a Windows virtual machine first is definitely not ideal. But this is as far as I could get. Thanks to the UAC limitations already mentioned, I'm not sure of another way to do this. Hope this helps.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMm55dUVCUXdreW53bng1ZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9